What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one I really like (I may be the only one though):
Is It Rolling Bob? A Reggae Tribute To Bob Dylan (Dual Disc: CD/DVDA). Dylan songs in reggea arrangements. I know a lot of people hate it, but as I said, I like it (and it's cheap, I guess). Surround mix and sound quality is pretty good imo.

You're definitely not the only one, there's more of us!

On the other hand, I am highly suspicious when it comes to the Lee Perry disc and would never blind-buy it - well, maybe would, for the price of the small-hinged jewel case.

The Subotnick isn't everyone's taste, but it's cool that Mode got the rights to all his Columbia Quad recordings - this one mixes "Touch" - originally released by Columbia in quad, with a new 5.1 composition: http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/097subotnick.html

I wasn't much fan of Subtonick writing. Albeit I was a bit away from surround sound media, forthwith I wanted Xenakis and Ligeti surround found Mode "Xenakis Edition Volume 8 - Kraanerg " and Ligeti . I'm ordering them right now.

I had too many xenakis discs forgot about this DVD-A buried in wrong sections of DVDs.
xenakis-electric.jpg
xenakis-electric-2.jpg
Playing it back right now. turned out today seemed OK friday.

never thought this disc was 5.1 but apparently it was. I only listens the repertoires he recorded, rely on other pianists' Pogorelich didn't record.
pogorelich-verso.jpg
pogorelich-recto.jpg

Greatest Hits & Rose Garden - Lynn Anderson (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Angel Clare - Art Garfunkel (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Breakaway - Art Garfunkel (Hybrid MultiCh SACD)

51VFFCezwWL.jpg

Can't say I wasn't warned.

Usually the Silverline "5.1" [????] DVD~As licensed from Sanctuary Records were double stereo and always sounded better as Stereo DVD~As.

Wonder if this is discrete (not likely, IMO)].

Not only is it not discrete.
As I feared, it is MONO (as are all the original Trojan tracks of these tunes I have on other CD anthologies).
First 5.1 MLP 96/24 disc in my collection with that distinction.

page016.jpg

I compared a few of the DVD tracks to CD, little improvement in fidelity in some, but Curly Locks in particular benefited from better eq.

Mastered LOUD, shockingly so, as it auto-played when loaded, had to turn it down 6+ dB.
If not brickwalled, certainly normalized to 0 dB.

The "5.1" mix spreads the mono source wide to the fronts, attenuates the center, and moderately drives the rears.
Reverb is applied to all channels, any illusion of discreteness would seem to be due to that.
I could easily make an equivalent mix from my mono reggae CDs by enabling DSP reverb on my AVR.

LFE channel is massive, had to attenuate it 6 dB.
The overall EQ has a severe "scooped" or "smile" profile, no midrange.

That said, I'm happy with this purchase, for the classic Black Ark tracks that I don't have in my 300 reggae CD collection.
The last half-dozen tracks have better fidelity, and include extended dub "discomixes."

To be fair, I don't know how this Lee Perry material could be much improved, given the low-fidelity source tapes.
He recorded on a consumer-grade TEAC 4-track, and the apocryphal story is that when the tar from the ganja smoke in the control room befouled the tape head, he cleaned it with his t-shirt.

I didn't find Lee Perry DVD-A on this forum.
Is it rare item?

It would seem not, since it sells for $2 used or $9 new on Amazon.
The double-disc CD seems more collectible, as it's in the $18 range used, twice that new.

It sounds awesome btw.

This is classic, historic material.
However, it is mono, like all Jamaican vinyl from the era.
The effect on a modern surround system is similar to a loud jukebox, or the massive outdoor sound systems of the day.
(They just kept piling on more speakers and amps, spreading the sound around the yard.
Every dancer heard the same mono mix.)

Nobody heard this music in stereo.

Like Phil Spector mono Wall of Sound or Brian Wilson Beach Boys tracks of the same era.
The artistry of the mix came not from placement and panning in the stereo field.
Rather blending the elements with reverb and echo "wetness" in one channel.

Unlike some fine jazz re-mixes, I assume the original multi-tracks are missing.
(Lee Perry actually set fire to the Black Ark studio during a psychotic episode.)
So they did the best they could with the Jamaican mono masters, and we can give thanks they got preserved and released in hi-res.

At the same time I spent $9 on this, for $15 I bought Monty Alexander, My America on SACD.
Very tasty reggae jazz groove on most of the cuts.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?19351-Monty-Alexander-s-quot-My-America-quot-in-5-1-SACD-for-5-99

Separation of subwoofer channel alone worth the investment on his music appreciation thou.

True.

On my system, I have 15" woofers in the fronts and a 12" center.
So reggae is one of the few genres I can turn off the sub and not miss it.
But nice to have the option to shake the foundations.

Last edited:
The double-disc CD seems more collectible, as it's in the $18 range used, twice that new.

Uha. i bought it at NYC LES KIM's at premium price back then when i's in that venue looking for Price Far I or else. I got admit on the other hand, i have couple of walkman csstt players with mono speaker listening their stuff _in a true_ low-fi -- sometime it reveals essence that way, or is it just another self-indulgence...

This is classic, historic material.
However, it is mono, like all Jamaican vinyl from the era.
The effect on a modern surround system is similar to a loud jukebox, or the massive outdoor sound systems of the day.
(They just kept piling on more speakers and amps, spreading the sound around the yard.
Every dancer heard the same mono mix.)

Nobody heard this music in stereo.

Like Phil Spector mono Wall of Sound or Brian Wilson Beach Boys tracks of the same era.
The artistry of the mix came not from placement and panning in the stereo field.
Rather blending the elements with reverb and echo "wetness" in one channel.

Unlike some fine jazz re-mixes, I assume the original multi-tracks are missing.
(Lee Perry actually set fire to the Black Ark studio during a psychotic episode.)
So they did the best they could with the Jamaican mono masters, and we can give thanks they got preserved and released in hi-res.

At the same time I spent $9 on this, for $15 I bought Monty Alexander, My America on SACD.
Very tasty reggae jazz groove on most of the cuts.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?19351-Monty-Alexander-s-quot-My-America-quot-in-5-1-SACD-for-5-99

True.

and are you able to breath? when it is on? :mad:@:

The Doors - all 6 MCH Hybrid SACD's within the last 2 months... The Doors, Strange Days and L.A. Woman in December, and Waiting For The Sun, Morrison Hotel and Soft Parade in November. :smokin

View attachment 31813

Can't say I wasn't warned.

Not only is it not discrete.
As I feared, it is MONO (as are all the original Trojan tracks of these tunes I have on other CD anthologies).
First 5.1 MLP 96/24 disc in my collection with that distinction.

View attachment 31814

I compared a few of the DVD tracks to CD, little improvement in fidelity in some, but Curly Locks in particular benefited from better eq.

Mastered LOUD, shockingly so, as it auto-played when loaded, had to turn it down 6+ dB.
If not brickwalled, certainly normalized to 0 dB.

The "5.1" mix spreads the mono source wide to the fronts, attenuates the center, and moderately drives the rears.
Reverb is applied to all channels, any illusion of discreteness would seem to be due to that.
I could easily make an equivalent mix from my mono reggae CDs by enabling DSP reverb on my AVR.

LFE channel is massive, had to attenuate it 6 dB.
The overall EQ has a severe "scooped" or "smile" profile, no midrange.

That said, I'm happy with this purchase, for the classic Black Ark tracks that I don't have in my 300 reggae CD collection.
The last half-dozen tracks have better fidelity, and include extended dub "discomixes."

To be fair, I don't know how this Lee Perry material could be much improved, given the low-fidelity source tapes.
He recorded on a consumer-grade TEAC 4-track, and the apocryphal story is that when the tar from the ganja smoke in the control room befouled the tape head, he cleaned it with his t-shirt.

Maybe you can take those songs you like and "extract" them and put them on another disc....props on having some many reggae CDs(y)

I feel your pain...I looked around in my discs and other than Legend(which I love)the only other disc I have that has reggae music on it is a jazz version of Marley's songs by Monty Alexander...Stir It Up...I looked around some sites and didn't really see anything for you..sorry man..

Thanks for taking a look around, good to have confirmation I had not missed any low-hanging fruit.
I have Monty's Stir It Up on RBCD, but ordered the MC SACD on Discogs for $15 delivered due to your reminder.

I also have his Meets Sly & Robbie and Ivory & Steel MC SACDs, but Stir It Up is by far my favorite.
My America, just acquired, may be a close second, 80% of its tracks are in the same groove, including John Pizarelli covering Sinatra. :smokin

71LTA-eH%2BIL._SL1200_.jpg

Part of a small but good haul from a visit to Academy Records in Manhattan last week:

• A sealed copy of Spirit of the American Range (Pentatone PTC 516 418, 2015), works by Walter Piston, George Antheil, and Aaron Copland performed by the Oregon Symphony under Carlos Kalmar; and
  • A spare copy of the 2003 30th-Anniversary edition of Dark Side of the Moon--misfiled in the plain-vanilla CD section, and only $8, so I had to liberate it!

cover.png

Finally got in my Multichannel SACD of Santana's "Illuminations" from Dutton Vocalion.
Can't wait to spin this disc tomorrow!

:)

ARS Produktion ARS 38 753 - Zala - piano music

Spectacularly good. A brilliant performance. The recording is remarkable. It sounds just like a real Steinway concert grand in your living room, not just some piano sat on a stage way in front of you. Yes, all speakers are used to good effect - not just a bit of concert hall ambience/ambiance (how is it spelled?). The end result is stunning.

The Brahms tracks are growing on me. It was the Chopin tracks that attracted me to it in the first place, and by heck they sound good.

The last track, composed by Albena Petrovic-Vratchanska, didn't exactly impress me when I listened to the sample on jpc. But it turns out to be bloody good when it comes belting out of the loudspeakers - a real tour de force.

I bought it directly from ARS Produktion website. It took just a couple of days to reach me from Germany.

4260052387535.jpg

Back