What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to the enthusiastic recommendations of Kal Rubinson & 4-earredwonder:

FR-724cover.jpg

Reference Recordings FR-724SACD (Hybrid Multi-Channel)

Gorgeous sound and performance, as promised.

Incoming from Dutton Vocalion...! :yikes

Hugo Montenegro - Mammy Blue & Rocket Man: A Tribute To Elton John (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Henry Mancini - Symphonic Soul & Return Of The Pink Panther (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Ray Conniff - Send In The Clowns & Theme From S.W.A.T. and Other TV Themes (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Percy Faith - Clair & Joy (Hybrid MultiCh SACD),
Ray Conniff - Alone Again (Naturally) & Love Theme From The Quadfather (Hybrid MultiCh SACD)

mgqJtXF.jpg

Is It Rolling Bob? A Reggae Tribute to Bob Dylan
It took me ages to pull the trigger but here it is via Dodax and it's all I wanted it to be and more. This has to be one of the best Silverline discs!

The DVD side sports MLP DVD-Audio, albeit only 44.1/24 - the sound is rather bright in places or lo-fi inclined, but that's cool in this case. The mix by Christopher Haynes ranges from very good to excellent. 13 reggaed Dylan songs plus 7 (even more surroundy and discrete) dub remixes, complete with DD 5.1 video of Subterranean Homesick Blues and a making of feature! I love Legend and really enjoy Legalize It, and this one rolls right in.
Awesome, this is gonna get me through the winter season just fine. :banana:
sSZ8QPR.jpg

Is It Rolling Bob? A Reggae Tribute to Bob Dylan
It took me ages to pull the trigger but here it is via Dodax and it's all I wanted it to be and more. This has to be one of the best Silverline discs!

The DVD side sports MLP DVD-Audio, albeit only 44.1/24 - the sound is rather bright in places or lo-fi inclined, but that's cool in this case. The mix by Christopher Haynes ranges from very good to excellent. 13 reggaed Dylan songs plus 7 (even more surroundy and discrete) dub remixes, complete with DD 5.1 video of Subterranean Homesick Blues and a making of feature! I love Legend and really enjoy Legalize It, and this one rolls right in.
Awesome, this is gonna get me through the winter season just fine. :banana:

Thanks for the heads up. I see it was also on a list of most under-rated discs:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-Formats-ONLY!&p=144751&viewfull=1#post144751

Ordered!

A couple of early Christmas presents to myself:

• Stile Antico, A Wondrous Mystery: Renaissance Choral Music for Christmas (Harmonia Mundi, 2015)
  • XTC, Oranges and Lemons (which I haven't opened yet, but--well, you know...you expect an orange at the bottom of your Christmas stocking!)

R-7877484-1450725124-2490.jpeg.jpg
R-7668009-1446793842-6841.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, excellent first post.

I've never heard of the Lee Perry DVD either, but Amazon should have one to me Saturday. :sun

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006FN7Z/

I was going to pull the trigger on that one too...until I saw the words that give me cold sweats...SILVERLINE...ugh...I still have flashbacks about some of those purchases...more like nightmares instead of flashbacks...I took a sacred oath not to ever buy one again..although they did make some that were OK...I don't think I have the courage to pull the trigger...let us know what you think...

I was going to pull the trigger on that one too...until I saw the words that give me cold sweats...SILVERLINE...ugh...I still have flashbacks about some of those purchases...more like nightmares instead of flashbacks...I took a sacred oath not to ever buy one again..although they did make some that were OK...I don't think I have the courage to pull the trigger...let us know what you think...

Usually the Silverline "5.1" [????] DVD~As licensed from Sanctuary Records were double stereo and always sounded better as Stereo DVD~As. Wonder if this is discrete (not likely, IMO].

Intriguing, though.

I actually have about 2 dozen Silverline DISCRETE 5.1 MLP DVD~A titles that I consider among some of THE best in my huge DVD~A/SACD mch collection. No kidding' Clint!:yikes And then there ARE those DOGS....but then again, sound alright when played back in STEREO [the format in which they were actually recorded and mixed]. Hey, at least they WERE HI REZ 96/24!

...I don't think I have the courage to pull the trigger...let us know what you think...

Appreciate the caveat, but the price was so low I had to roll the dice.
Even if it's only double stereo, I'm so hard up for any reggae in surround, I'm sure I'll spin it more than some of my collection.

Help a brother out, forum.
Other than the Marley Legacy and Peter Tosh releases, what other studio Roots Reggae in surround is out there?

Many of my prized Blood & Fire dub CDs are strictly mono, not even a stereo pan to be had.

Usually the Silverline "5.1" [????] DVD~As licensed from Sanctuary Records were double stereo and always sounded better as Stereo DVD~As. Wonder if this is discrete (not likely, IMO].

Intriguing, though.

I actually have about 2 dozen Silverline DISCRETE 5.1 MLP DVD~A titles that I consider among some of THE best in my huge DVD~A/SACD mch collection. No kidding' Clint!:yikes And then there ARE those DOGS....but then again, sound alright when played back in STEREO [the format in which they were actually recorded and mixed]. Hey, at least they WERE HI REZ 96/24!

The primary offenders in the Silverline collection are the one's dubbed "from the front row"...but as a former member mentioned..it was more like "from the parking lot"..just horrible..I used the Kansas disc as a Frisbee...no kidding. I did....I had purchased one of the Silverline titles before I bought some of the Front Row series and it's pretty good...it's this one below

001.jpg

The primary offenders in the Silverline collection are the one's dubbed "from the front row"...but as a former member mentioned..it was more like "from the parking lot"..just horrible..I used the Kansas disc as a Frisbee...no kidding. I did....I had purchased one of the Silverline titles before I bought some of the Front Row series and it's pretty good...it's this one below

View attachment 31749

Except for the Pat Benatar Live From The Front Row which TRULY sounds excellent in 96/24 STEREO, the rest were travesties and forever pegged Silverline as a schlock house. But there are indeed some sonic treasures which I have no time to elaborate on [I have a hair appointment @ 4 pm].

Windows 10 or Clint 10.0????????:yikes

Appreciate the caveat, but the price was so low I had to roll the dice.
Even if it's only double stereo, I'm so hard up for any reggae in surround, I'm sure I'll spin it more than some of my collection.

Other than the Marley Legacy and Peter Tosh releases, what other studio Roots Reggae in surround is out there?

Many of my prized Blood & Fire dub CDs are strictly mono, not even a stereo pan to be had.

I feel your pain...I looked around in my discs and other than Legend(which I love)the only other disc I have that has reggae music on it is a jazz version of Marley's songs by Monty Alexander...Stir It Up...I looked around some sites and didn't really see anything for you..sorry man..

I feel your pain...I looked around in my discs and other than Legend(which I love)the only other disc I have that has reggae music on it is a jazz version of Marley's songs by Monty Alexander...Stir It Up...I looked around some sites and didn't really see anything for you..sorry man..

My general rule with Silverline is that if it's a well-known artist it's probably dreadful fake surround, but if it's someone you've never heard of you're probably in for a treat (mid-level artists are generally fine too, as long as it's not a "front row" disc). Silverline got a lot of flack, and rightfully so, but the underlying problem was that they were out $$$ from their deal with Sanctuary, but Sanctuary never gave them the a-level artist multitracks they promised. So they had to make their money back and kind of worked a fraud on us, but a lot of their own recordings, typically featuring players from better-known bands or otherwise, is quite good.

In the classical realm, this didn't get much conversation, but it's quite good.

510ooGZJ7wL.jpg

Separation of subwoofer channel alone worth the investment on his music appreciation thou.

Here's one I really like (I may be the only one though):
Is It Rolling Bob? A Reggae Tribute To Bob Dylan (Dual Disc: CD/DVDA). Dylan songs in reggea arrangements. I know a lot of people hate it, but as I said, I like it (and it's cheap, I guess). Surround mix and sound quality is pretty good imo.

I've had REM 'Out of Time', Tusk Super Deluxe, and 4 DV discs show up in the last 2 days so I'm overwhelmed by new material to listen to and evaluate. Did Coniff do the original recording for the SWAT theme? Sounds like it to a T, though I wasn't a fan of the show. Just waiting upon the last 3 DV's, and F Mac at the moment.

Back