What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paris La Belle Époque - Yo Yo Ma & Kathryn Scott (Single Layer MultiCh SACD)

This one got expensive! A lot of people don't like transcribing the Franck sonata for 'cello, but I think it works, and it's a great disc for a quieter evening.

And I believe it's one of the early Sony recordings done to 8-track DSD directly, too.

This one got expensive! A lot of people don't like transcribing the Franck sonata for 'cello, but I think it works, and it's a great disc for a quieter evening.

And I believe it's one of the early Sony recordings done to 8-track DSD directly, too.

Looking forward to hearing it! :upthumb

Been on the SACD shopping list quite a while (think its the last Yo-Yo Ma Surround title I 'needed' after w/Morricone, w/John Williams, Obrigado Brazil, Silk Road Journeys.. got a bit sidetracked with Quad LPs for a couple of years but back on the SACD/DVD-A quest now :eek: ) Snagged it on Amazon UK in great condition for £13 last week.. weeeee! :banana:

Great find at the library for sure.

Too bad that the mix is one of the worst attempts at surround. It is an overly compressed and wasted effort.

If only Elliot Scheiner would have had the oppotunity to mix this album...

I don't really agree with this - it is a bit over-compressed, but somewhat akin to the Flaming Lips mixes, the compression is part of the style rather than a mastering afterthought. I think this weighs in at about DR10 which is a bit loud, but it's not ear-bleeder territory. Most good hard rock is in the DR9 to DR12 range so it's not abnormal at all. There's also plenty of discrete action in both the center speaker and rears - this isn't one of those conservative modern 5.1 mixes with everything in the front.

I love Elliot Scheiner as much as the next guy, but variety is the spice of life and it's nice seeing how other mixers approach 5.1. In my opinion, the 5.1 mix of One by One is head and shoulders above Scheiner's 5.1 mix from the Foo Fighters followup album In Your Honor which seems dull and unengaging by comparison.

I don't really agree with this - it is a bit over-compressed, but somewhat akin to the Flaming Lips mixes, the compression is part of the style rather than a mastering afterthought. I think this weighs in at about DR10 which is a bit loud, but it's not ear-bleeder territory. Most good hard rock is in the DR9 to DR12 range so it's not abnormal at all. There's also plenty of discrete action in both the center speaker and rears - this isn't one of those conservative modern 5.1 mixes with everything in the front.

I love Elliot Scheiner as much as the next guy, but variety is the spice of life and it's nice seeing how other mixers approach 5.1. In my opinion, the 5.1 mix of One by One is head and shoulders above Scheiner's 5.1 mix from the Foo Fighters followup album In Your Honor which seems dull and unengaging by comparison.

I've looked at wave forms for Flaming Lips albums and One By One... the lips albums do
Have what looks like sort of "flat line" waves, however none of the wave is clipped off (or at least it seems minimal). When I look at the One By One waves, there seems to be variation in the wave heights (I guess this indicates dynamic range?), but all the waves have been amplified so much that much of the music is "clipped"... when someone says something has been "mastered too loud", does that refer to the former (poor DR), or the latter (heavily clipped)?

Just trying to learn a bit :)

Yikes! You prefer "One by One" surround mix to "In Your Honor"?

"In Your Honor" is truly a demo quality surround album from start to finish. I personally cannot even finish the entire album for "One by One" because of the listening fatigue.

I always use my ears when describing compression and DR in a mix. To my ears, "One by One" is loud and compressed where I do not hear much separation between instruments. It's just a wall of unpleasant noise.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've looked at wave forms for Flaming Lips albums and One By One... the lips albums do
Have what looks like sort of "flat line" waves, however none of the wave is clipped off (or at least it seems minimal). When I look at the One By One waves, there seems to be variation in the wave heights (I guess this indicates dynamic range?), but all the waves have been amplified so much that much of the music is "clipped"... when someone says something has been "mastered too loud", does that refer to the former (poor DR), or the latter (heavily clipped)?

Just trying to learn a bit :)

Mastered too loud tends to mean that the peaks are limited in the mastering stage, limiting the dynamic range. This has the effect of making the whole album a consistant loudness, and tends to be somewhat harsh in that respect. This video is a pretty good illustration if you can ignore the typos, and sadly illustrates exactly what they in fact did in 2011

[video=youtube;-v6ML2DsBfA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v6ML2DsBfA[/video]

Ironically, I've heard Krist Novoselic say he listens to HD downloads somewhere - no clue if he was overruled on Nevermind or just didn't pay attention?

By the way, the difference between In Your Honor and One by One is more than just mastering/mix - In Your Honor is the second acoustic disc, while One by One is straight ahead amplified rock. The dynamic range of One by One is naturally going to be more limited - 9-10 is a fine dynamic range for rock.

Carpenters singles Great album , and sounds great

Attachments

• DSCF5265.jpg
    DSCF5265.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 186
Most of the time I get the discs that I do QC for as a freebie, but, not this one..

I saw it in the FNAC today for sale for 9.99 EUR. so I said , WHAT THE HELL??

Rick Wakeman. 6WoHt8th

R-7564258-1444121140-6775.jpeg.jpg

EDIT...BTW..NO MENTION ANYWHERE that it's a DVD-A...and I'm discovering NEW terms..LPCDM (???) ...DTX ...geez...interns....

Last edited:
V/A - Telarc; The Absolute Sound SACD Sampler (Hybrid MultiCh SACD)

Edit: Just in case anybody who doesn't have this already is curious, it is made up not of various artist(e)s as such but various performances of Classical music from Telarc's catalogue incl. works by Purcell, Handel, Debussy, Ravel, Prokofiev, Harry Nilsson and Robbie Williams.. oh hang on! scrap that! its Nielsen and Vaughan Williams.. :D

Anthony Phillips "Slow Dance"... it says DVD-A on the package, but all I'm seeing in DVDAE is 24x96 stereo LPCM, 24x48 5.1 DTS, and 24x48 5.1 AC3. Isn't DVD-A supposed to be MLP? I'll comment on the mix later once I get this ripped...

Anthony Phillips "Slow Dance"... it says DVD-A on the package, but all I'm seeing in DVDAE is 24x96 stereo LPCM, 24x48 5.1 DTS, and 24x48 5.1 AC3. Isn't DVD-A supposed to be MLP? I'll comment on the mix later once I get this ripped...

I think many of his are mislabeled. Someone designing the packaging sees it is on a DVD and that is is only audio and figures it must be DVD-Audio.

I think many of his are mislabeled. Someone designing the packaging sees it is on a DVD and that is is only audio and figures it must be DVD-Audio.

Well, I chose the DTS option and at least it ripped as 24x96... so far, not an album with much going on in the surround channels (mainly some synthesizers here and there)... very mellow album.

Back