What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erase The Slate - Dokken (DVD-Audio)

sFocdke.jpg

7k75emm.jpg

How's that one sound Adam?

Foreigner 4 SACD
Foreigner DVD-A
T.Rex Electric Warrior DVD-A. (Outstanding, but a bit bright)
R.E.M. - Out of Time DVD-A
Golden Earring - Naked III SACD

Thanks for letting me know that Electric warrior existed as DVD-A!
I had missed that one and have now bought it.
I really like it, much better than any other version i have heard.

elextric warrior.jpg

I try to make it to a physical Bull Moose store once a year (usually the big one in Salem, NH, only a few feet from the MA border). Didn't find great pickings this time, but did get the DVD-Audio of REM's In Time for $15 or so.

Thought about the Beatles box set then decided to see what else I could get for the money. Using a combination of Amazon marketplace sellers, ebay and Discogs I bought (many from recommendations on here) the following:

Dar Williams The Green World DVD-A £3.99
Dar Williams The Beauty of the Rain Dual Disc £2.19
Marvin Gaye Let's Get It On Blu-ray £6.36
ELO Zoom Live Tour DVD £4.96
Alan Parsons Symphonic Project Blu-ray £6.97
The Allman Brothers Eat A Peach SACD £12.00
Elton John Peach Tree Road SACD £6.00
Rory Gallagher Big Guns SACD x2 £6.10
Jean Michel Jarre Live In China DVDx2 +CD £10.50
Fleetwood Mac Say You Will DVD-A £12.50
Dire Straits Alchemy Live Blu-ray £8.37
RPWL Wanted CD+DVD £7.04

Total cost, which includes all postage charges, £86.98 which is the same as the cheapest offer I saw for the Beatles via Amazon.de

Bravo Old Git. Good shopping!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upping my Christmas surround music game this year with these recent used purchases, thanks to a couple of the members on here ;):

Rosemary Clooney - White Christmas on SACD in 5.1
Smooth Jazz - Sounds Of The Season on DVD-A in 5.1
Mannheim Steamroller - Christmas Celebration on DVD-A in 5.1
Vince Gill - Breath Of Heaven on DTS-CD in 5.1

These go with my starter Christmas purchase last year of the wonderful AF SACD New York Voices - Let It Snow in 5.1

IMG_1139.jpg

I was by the Princeton Record Exchange this past weekend and they had put out maybe 800-1000 classical SACDs for $5-10 (more in a few cases, but none that I purchased). I'm guessing it was someone's collection because there were so few duplicates. Picked up a few discs I hadn't seen for cheap before for $7-10, including Rachel Podger and the Holland Baroque doing Vivaldi's 12 Concertos in "La Cetera," for $5, 2L's recent BD/SACD of Schubert and Beethoven quartets for $7, as well as a surround SACD (DSD recorded) for $1 entitled "18th-Century Flemish Harpsichord Music."

As they are both instrumentals (with some vocals) and I needed something in that vein to work to as I was doing lots of calculations (and full vocals or rock distract to much!) I listened to them this afternoon. Sound quality is really good, amazing for the age of the tapes & the recording year. Both the Quad mixes are good as well, some really interesting use of speaker corners on the Deodato.

So Deodato's "Prelude" & "Deodato 2" are really nice 70s jazz/70s jazz-rock-funk-orchestra/horns!, from a single listen I prefer "Prelude" but I love the arrangement of "Nights In White Satin" off the 2nd album.

With the Cecil Holmes, I definitely prefer "The Black Motion Picture Experience" album of the two, "Shaft" is a brilliant song, and a good version here (If D-V could only do all the Isaac Hayes Quads!).

And as usual Dave's liner notes are excellent, and keep the music info nerd in me happy, perhaps a forum handle change to stalwartdave is in order (y).

The Deodato & Holmes SACDs, through the letterbox about 15 minutes ago!

View attachment 30878

Vocalion!

Prelude & Deodato 2
Two Lane Highway & If the Foo Shits - Pure Prairie League
Four Seasons - Swingle Singers
Musicmagic - RTF
Illuminations - Santana & Alice Coltrane

Have SQ LP's of Santana, RTF & both Deodatos
Never owned the Swingle or PPL
Do own some other 2ch Swingle titles

These showed up today from Dutton Vocalion:

Deodato - Prelude / Deodato 2
Cecil Homes -Black Motion Picture Experience / Music For Soulful Lovers

Currently listening to the Deadato and it's great! I'm very familiar with both albums, and the quad mix is fabulous (y)

My Bruford box should arrive from the Shed tomorrow. Cannot wait to hear One of a Kind in 5.1 . That album is a desert island disc to me

Back