Blood, Sweat & Tears Bloodlines 4 SACD Set: Multichannel + Stereo SACD (May 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
From what I now know, not only is there now no chance of Audio Fidelity repressing either of the BS&T SACDs, but there's now no chance that they will have the opportunity to release any other BS&T SACDs either.

I've just learned over on SHTV that Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions have secured the rights to reissue the first four BS&T albums themselves as both a vinyl box and a stereo SACD box next summer.
Given the awful realization, I'm eternally grateful that AF were able to release those SACDs when they did cause the door is now shut. :mad: :(

From what I now know, not only is there now no chance of Audio Fidelity repressing either of the BS&T SACDs, but there's now no chance that they will have the opportunity to release any other BS&T SACDs either.

I've just learned over on SHTV that Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions have secured the rights to reissue the first four BS&T albums themselves as both a vinyl box and a stereo SACD box next summer.
Given the awful realization, I'm eternally grateful that AF were able to release those SACDs when they did cause the door is now shut. :mad: :(

Ahh.. that is unfortunate.. but is it such bad news for surround lovers?

Mirror Image and New City both received Quad remix treatment back in the day (and are technically studio albums number 7 and 8 in their discography afaik) ..there were apparently Quad mixes of the third and fourth albums afaik, unreleased, whether they survive in the vaults IDK.. and of course there's the Greatest Hits Quad which has some interesting stuff on it, maybe AF could do surround SACDs of those three albums? (I know Mirror Image and New City aren't everyone's cup of tea.. and suspect aren't high up on BS&T fans lists of fave albums.. but the Quad mixes are great on both imho.

This is a bummer. It would not, however, be a bummer if they showed some GUTS and since they're already going to be charging

$180.00

for a *BOX* and the SACD format clearly supports 4.0/5.1, they PUT THE DAMN SURROUND TRACKS ON THE SACDs!!!!

How hard is it? They did it with The Doors? What's up with those people?

Brian? Can you get 'er done? :)

Scheduled for release in Summer 2016 according to a post on the Steve Hoffman Forum - a Stereo SACD box set of the first four Blood, Sweat and Tears albums from Analogue Productions.

"The new Winter catalogue refers to this coming out Summer 2016.

33LP and 45rpm Box Sets and SACD.

Bloodlines includes Blood, Sweat & Tear’s first four studio albums.
Mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound from the original analog master tapes.
Also featuring exclusive liner notes from David Clayton-Thomas
and archival pictures from Sony Music Entertainment
45 RPM Box Set
APP BST 45 - $260.00

33-1/3 RPM Box Set
APP BST 33 - $180.00
Hybrid Stereo SACD Box Set
CAPP BST SA - $180.00 "
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...tears-forthcoming-lp-and-sacd-box-set.483661/

I agree 100% with Jon.
The price and contents of this SACD box definitely spells ripoff!
I know that the packaging probably adds to the expense, but taking that out of the equation, fans who purchase this set will be paying roughly $45 for each stere-only SACD, $15 more than the average price of the two BS&T surround SACDs released by Audio Fidelity.

Even if they are OOP and command a higher price now, QQers should still seek out the two BS&T surround SACDs released by Audio Fidelity rather than deal with this dribble from Analogue Productions.

BST box ad.

Attachments

• bstbox.jpg
    bstbox.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Summer 2016......no "Bloodlines". I've been noticing this with the very few reissues (a couple of LSC's and a couple of SR's) that I can talk myself into purchasing either (for the 3rd, 4th or 5th time) on SACD or 200gram LP from AP. I've ordered 2225 and 2449 on LP and I MIGHT do the same on SACD, just to have them. The LP's sound different/marginally better than the Classics I bought when they were liquidating in the '90's, but no amount of upselling in the magazines is going to convince me to outlay for either of those catalogs yet again.

That's the same situation I have with B,S&T's catalog. I'm a (now) retired musician/teacher. I cut my chops (literally and figuratively) on transcribing and playing that stuff. (Along with the other Usual Jazz/Rock/Fusion suspects.)

I have these records on more formats than any sane person can sanction. (Most were given to me or picked up for a quarter somewhere. I did buy my FIRST copies retail though.....) "4" is the only one that hasn't seen an SACD release. Friday's 180 gram LP's are variable in their quality but on a good table with a clamp they suffice okay for my purposes. What would be interesting would be if they went into the original eight and sixteen track work parts and remixed it to modern 5.1. I could get excited about that insofar as an SACD edition of the "Four Gospel" recordings goes. I'd be curious about the Quad mixes of New City and Mirror Image (I have mirror image on LP, I just can't get that Pioneer decoder to recognize the carrier) but again, I think the remixing of New Blood and No Sweat (Great records/performances with serious Audiophile street cred) would be a GREAT idea. Even if they're a bit less ventilated and "dynamic" owing to the 3rd iteration "Boogie-fication" of the arrangements. There are some serious deep Bass transients on the Hammond B3/Fender parts on "No Sweat" (Song For John). I could get excited about that as well. I'm a trumpet player and while there are some nice moments on the records after "Sweat", the studio records never featured the same kind of fearlessness/creativity/terrifying exposure in the charts that Lipsius and Halligan wrote for the Horns. Post Soloff (RIP, Lew) the band was never the same. Some monster players went through the band later, but none as apparently fearless/tight as the Original/Classic players were.

Strangely I have just had an email from SpinCDs in the UK about Bloodlines, info below. So for £199.99 you can buy 4 SACDs, but if you only want the AF releases you can get them for £24.99 each, so why pay nearly £150 more for the 2 additional stereo SACDs? :confused: (I have the AF releases) All seems a bit strange to me!

[Includes Blood, Sweat & Tears' first four studio albums!*
Mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound from the original analog master tapes
4 Hybrid Stereo SACD box set plus booklet
BST self-titled disc is multichannel (4.0 Quadraphonic)
Child Is Father To The Man is multichannel (5.1 Surround mix by Al Kooper)
Featuring exclusive liner notes from David Clayton-Thomas
Plus archival photos from Sony Music Entertainment
The band's Grammy-winning self-titled second album disc is multichannel (4.0 Quadraphonic) and Child Is The Father To The Man is also multichannel (5.1 Surround mix by Al Kooper)
The transfers for the Hybrid Stereo SACD box set were authored by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder, Colo.

What makes you suspect that the Blood Sweat and Tears was repressed? And Judy and Alice are both in stock at some retailers, Judy being more commonly found. Are you hoping because you want to pick them up later, just not at this very moment?

I'm only asking because I am interested in tracking the life and print run of an SACD, not to argue with you.

Strangely I have just had an email from SpinCDs in the UK about Bloodlines, info below. So for £199.99 you can buy 4 SACDs, but if you only want the AF releases you can get them for £24.99 each, so why pay nearly £150 more for the 2 additional stereo SACDs? :confused: (I have the AF releases) All seems a bit strange to me!

[Includes Blood, Sweat & Tears' first four studio albums!*
The band's Grammy-winning self-titled second album disc is multichannel (4.0 Quadraphonic) and Child Is The Father To The Man is also multichannel (5.1 Surround mix by Al Kooper)
The transfers for the Hybrid Stereo SACD box set were authored by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder, Colo.

Wait, so AP are reissuing the BS&T SACDs with surround? I was under the impression that all of the SACDs in this new set would be stereo only.
This is a step in the right direction! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Box Sets do seem to be the driving force behind a lot of these 4.0/5.1 releases don't they.

Wait, so AP are reissuing the BS&T SACDs with surround? I was under the impression that all of the SACDs in this new set would be stereo only.

This 4CD set might contain two AF SACDs and two Sony SACDs packaged together in one groovy slipcase.

I missed the part about it being an AP release.

This is making me crazy and I refuse to buy. AF already released Child in 5.1 and self in 4.0, who cares if the rest is in stereo. I love AP, but if AF already did it why would anybody support AP ?

This is making me crazy and I refuse to buy. AF already released Child in 5.1 and self in 4.0, who cares if the rest is in stereo. I love AP, but if AF already did it why would anybody support AP ?

Where is AP mentioned in any of the text on this? Sorry, I just can't find it, and sometimes I am a little slow.

Go to the Acoustic Sounds website which is also Analogue Productions and type in Bloodlines. This is rediculous to purchase this after Audio Fidelity did such a fine job. Let's be quik about it.

Go to the Acoustic Sounds website which is also Analogue Productions and type in Bloodlines. This is rediculous to purchase this after Audio Fidelity did such a fine job. Let's be quik about it.

Not to open a gawd damn can of worms, but this statement is wide open to debate, and I hoped nobody would go there. I really did.

Acoustic Sounds has announced that the Bloodlines 4 SACD Box Set will be released on May 5, 2017 on the Analogue Productions label.

The price has been set at $150.
Bloodlines will have 2 Hybrid Multichannel SACDs (Child Is Father to the Man and Blood, Sweat and Tears) and 2 Hybrid Stereo SACDs (Blood, Sweat & Tears 3 and Blood Sweat & Tears 4).

tempCAPP_BST_SA__111088__03232017040839-5374.jpg

Blood, Sweat & Tears - Bloodlines (4 SACD Box + Booklet)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/111088/Blood_Sweat__Tears-Bloodlines-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

"Includes Blood, Sweat & Tears' first four studio albums!

"Horn bands" were scarce when in October 1968 their self-titled album launched Blood, Sweat & Tears into the music stratosphere, becoming the No. 1 album in the world.

An unorthodox mixture of rock, jazz and classically trained musicians — ranging from hardcore blues artists such as David Clayton-Thomas, to conservatory master's graduates like Dick Halligan and Berklee-educated jazz musicians like Fred Lipsius, together with the powerful Broadway lead trumpet of Lew Soloff — defined the sound of the band in its groundbreaking years, 1968 through 1972.

"This was big city music, hard charging and fierce. When BS&T hit the stage, it was about as subtle as a punch in the solar plexus," Clayton-Thomas remembers.

Bloodlines, a Hybrid Stereo 4 disc box set produced by Analogue Productions, packs a heavyweight wallop that's a knockout for audiophiles! The legendary band's first four studio albums have been remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound from the original analog master tapes. You get their self-titled second album with its three gold-selling Top 10 singles: "You've Made Me So Very Happy," "Spinning Wheel," and "And When I Die" as well as BS&T's iconic album debut: Child Is Father To The Man, their third LP Blood, Sweat & Tears 3 and lastly, the Top 10 chart smash Blood, Sweat & Tears 4.

For a brief period at the end of the 1960s and the start of the '70s, Blood, Sweat & Tears, which fused a rock 'n' roll rhythm section to a horn section, held out the promise of a jazz-rock fusion that could storm the pop charts. The band was organized in New York in 1967 out of the remnants of the Blues Project by keyboard player/singer Al Kooper and guitarist Steve Katz of that group, and saxophonist Fred Lipsius. The rhythm section consisted of bassist Jim Fielder and drummer Bobby Colomby, and the horn section was filled out by trumpeters Randy Brecker and Jerry Weiss and trombonist Dick Halligan.

This eight-piece band signed to Columbia Records and recorded Blood, Sweat & Tears' debut album, Child Is Father To The Man, which was released in February 1968. Cofounder Kooper then departed, and the group was reorganized. Singer David Clayton-Thomas was added, Halligan moved to the keyboards, and trumpeters Chuck Winfield and Lew Soloff replaced Brecker and Weiss, with Jerry Hyman being added on trombone. This nine-piece unit, working with producer James William Guercio, made Blood, Sweat & Tears' self-titled second album, released in October 1968.

Blood, Sweat & Tears was a runaway hit, spawning three gold-selling Top 10 singles, "You've Made Me So Very Happy," "Spinning Wheel," and "And When I Die," selling 3 million copies and winning the Grammy Award for Album of the Year. It was also Blood, Sweat & Tears' highwater mark. Guercio left to work on a similar concept with Chicago Transit Authority, and Blood, Sweat & Tears increasingly became a backup group for Clayton-Thomas. Nevertheless, the third album, Blood, Sweat & Tears 3 (1970), and the fourth, Blood, Sweat & Tears 4 (1971), were substantial hits.

Kooper's contributions to Child Is Father To The Man are numerous — he played the piano and various other keyboards, and also composed almost all the numbers and made the arrangements for the string ensemble. Bluesy pieces such as "I Love You More..." and "I Can't Quit Her" and the vocals from Kooper are truly gems. Blood, Sweat & Tears 3 yielded two hit singles: a cover of Carole King's "Hi-De-Ho," and "Lucretia MacEvil." Blood, Sweat & Tears 4 was a Top 10 gold-selling album featuring the hard rockin' smash "Go Down Gamblin'" and the Top 40 classic "Lisa Listen to Me." David Clayton Thomas' voice was thrilling, the horns meshed with rock and roll, and Bobby Colomby's power drumming, fusing with Steve Katz's amazing guitar work, all made the B, S & T 4 album soar."

This is SUCH a drag, seeing somebody doing their best to put out a unique and well-documented project featuring one of my favorite bands, after seeing month after month of bringing out satisfying hi-res and multichannel releases of artists I have no interest in, so can't support a label's efforts. I would think somebody willing to spring for a $150 4-album box set, would be a big fan. And as such, would likely have done as best they could to procure these albums separately, rather than consult their oracle 12 years back to learn, "Don't waste your money right now, because a company called Analogue Productions will bundle them all together in 2017! OooooOOOOOOOH...!" No - the rabid fan would support the initial releases of the first three, and once faced with the prospect of paying $150 for one frikkin' album - stereo, no less! - These metaphorical people with their good tastes and their love for the best versions of their favorites as they can afford, will come to the same conclusion as I: that there's a sucker born every minute, but MY cradle is over in the Mensa wing...no. sale.

And you just KNOW, somebody's gonna look at the numbers and tell a superior, "Yep, this proves it, neither the public, OR the discerning audiophile, has an interest in SACD or 5.1..."
"Yeah, you're right Waldo; we should have listened to those Rhino folks who tried it with that Chicago quad...then when they put out the Aretha Franklin disc, the excitement just drained out of the marketplace..."

Might have had a winner here if they'd included either the unreleased Quad mixes of B,S&T 3 and 4 or offered up modern 5.1 remixes of the same. No dice?

No sale.

Might have had a winner here if they'd included either the unreleased Quad mixes of B,S&T 3 and 4 or offered up modern 5.1 remixes of the same. No dice?

No sale.

Ditto. 'Lukewarm' on the heels of Audio Fidelity's recent QUAD/5.1 SACDs of BS&T and Child Is Father To The Man, which, IMO, are exceptional* and paying $75 each for 3 and 4 in STEREO when Quad masters do exist is outrageously in poor taste.

As per usual with Analogue Productions.........they also charge you for the freakin' box!

[* I paid about $22 delivered for each AF SACD and not $37.50 each which is AP's asking price]. So, by my calculations, AP is charging $30 for each SACD and $30 for the [friggin'] box....and it doesn't even come with Chocolates!:yikes

BLOODLINES, Huh............ Should be called :yikesSUCKING BLOOD!:yikes

NO QUAD ....... NO PARTING WITH THE WAD

Back