What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stravinsky, Petrouchka (1947 version), Firebird (Suite, 1919 version), and Scherzo a la Russe--Cincinnati/Paavo Jarvi. Snagged it cheap at Academy Records in New York. Among the many multi-channel recordings of Petrushka & Firebird, this is one of the best, to my ears: full, rich "concert-hall" sound, yet crisp and distinct.

51PlWbA%2B-cL._SY355_.jpg

Another Academy Records find: Mahler's Symphony No. 2 (San Francisco Symphony/Michael Tilson Thomas). I have a soft spot for MTT's Mahler cycle, and sonically, the SFS recordings are generally outstanding--spacious yet detailed and more immersive than many/most "concert-hall" style symphonic recordings.

51yQXomS%2BGL.jpg

Another Academy Records find: Mahler's Symphony No. 2 (San Francisco Symphony/Michael Tilson Thomas). I have a soft spot for MTT's Mahler cycle, and sonically, the SFS recordings are generally outstanding--spacious yet detailed and more immersive than many/most "concert-hall" style symphonic recordings.

51yQXomS%2BGL.jpg

I'm not sure why the San Francisco Symphony cycle isn't talked about more...perhaps because they priced it so high? It's probably the best SACD cycle out there in terms of sound quality and performance (DSD recorded, to boot), but you can get Gergiev, Zinman, or Nott for a third of the price (I got lucky and got the SF Box for $24 new, but that's another story).

Caetano Veloso, Muito Mais Caetano. Some of Veloso's greatest hits from the 60s, 70s, and 80s (mostly), remixed in beautiful, clean, 5.1 surround. (Best resolution is 48/24 MLP, but it sounds terrific.) This was issued by Universal Brazil, evidently. Does anyone know of any other Brazilian music issued in quad or 5.1?

51HSRNC082L.jpg

Caetano Veloso, Muito Mais Caetano. Some of Veloso's greatest hits from the 60s, 70s, and 80s (mostly), remixed in beautiful, clean, 5.1 surround. (Best resolution is 48/24 MLP, but it sounds terrific.) This was issued by Universal Brazil, evidently. Does anyone know of any other Brazilian music issued in quad or 5.1?

51HSRNC082L.jpg

there's a Caetano Veloso Surround SACD of the "A Foreign Sound" album (recommended)
and a couple of Elis Regina albums on DVD-Audio in 5.1 (Elis & Tom, Falso Brilhante)

Dimension III - Jimmy Castor Bunch (Hybrid MultiCh SACD)
Perry Como 2-fer (MCh SACD)
Illuminations - Santana & Coltrane (MCh SACD)
Pure Prairie League 2-fer (MCh SACD)
Musicmagic - Return To Forever (MultiCh SACD)

t2zClhz.jpg

Reading David Weigel's The Show That Never Ends inspired me to lay my hands on a copy of Trilogy, always my favorite ELP album. Over the years, I've pretty much stayed loyal to early Yes, Genesis, and Floyd, much to the horror and embarrassment of some of my loved ones--and lately I've rekindled an interest in King Crimson. But I'd left the rest of prog behind me. I'm surprised at how much I still like this album after not hearing it for several decades. The surround mix is pretty good, too, although center-channel vocals are a particular bête noire of mine. Now I'll need to track down the rest of the ELP catalog, and maybe some of the other stuff Weigel writes about, too (Gentle Giant, Mike Oldfield, Soft Machine...o brave new world!).

R-7745188-1464155130-2154.jpeg.jpg

Reading David Weigel's The Show That Never Ends inspired me to lay my hands on a copy of Trilogy, always my favorite ELP album.

Really like the surround on that one! Try the first album first -- "Just Take a Pebble" is magnificent in 5.1. Lots of people here like 5.1 BRAIN SALAD SURGERY, but I prefer the first album in surround any day over that one.

I guess I'm out of touch cause I wan't aware that DV released "Illumination"...that means they can probably release the whole Santana collection...

I'm afraid that's going to prove to be a rush to judgment. Any offshoot or collaboration albums perhaps, doubt the core Santana albums that re-issue labels still fight over are available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm afraid that's going to prove to be a rush to judgment. Any offshoot or collaboration albums perhaps, doubt the core Santana albums that re-issue labels still fight over are available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. Methinks if ANYONE is going to release Santana's core albums, it will be SONY JAPAN.

Perhaps D~V can obtain the licenses for the QUAD Buddy Miles and John McLaughlin collaborations which would be fine with me.

In my mailbox last night after getting home from the TOTALITY! :)

Roxy Music - Avalon (supposedly used, but this is the best looking used I've ever seen. It was also sealed, so not sure about used)

From Vocalion

Michel Legrand
Return To Forever
The Jimmy Castor Bunch
Coltrane & Santana
Pure Prairie League (2'fer Two Lane Highway & If The Shoe Fits)

:banana:

Like many others here i immediately ordered some of the new releases from Dutton Vocallion

Illuminations - Santana & Coltrane (MCh SACD)
This was the disc i got most excited about.
I have never heard it before but i like it so far and the surround sounds good

Musicmagic - Return To Forever (MultiCh SACD)
I knew that this Return to forever album were not like my favourite album Romantic warrior but i got positively surprised by what i hear.
The surround really lifts the album.
I never thought listening to RTF without Al Di Meola could be exciting.

Dimension III - Jimmy Castor Bunch (Hybrid MultiCh SACD)
This one is just bought out of curiosity.
the surround sounds good and i hope i will enjoy the music when i have listened to it properly

If you have any interest in the "country rock" sound of the 70's, get the other PPL twofer. Some very good songs on there and the surround is used to good effect, you may have even heard the song "Two Lane Highway" before... you won't go wrong.

Like others I bought the latest 4 DV releases and am enjoying them.

But based on reviews here I went back to the well and ordered the Michel legrand. It arrived yesterday along with a classical Shostakovich piano concerto mc that was on sale at Vocalion. I hope to get to these this weekend.

Back