What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miles Davis -Tutu

51pCWH0KMEL.jpg

Looking forward to listening to this one.

Tutu is fantastic! It's one of my favorite DVD-A's. With over 500 Miles Davis discs, including two dozen box sets, and a 70 CD/1 DVD box, I'm a fan of the highest order. Saw him live half a dozen times. IMHO, This is one of his most essential albums. The fidelity and mix are great, too.

I can't wait to hear your impressions:cool:

Hmm.. I don't know what to think.. I've only given it a quick play through but it seems a bit brighter maybe than I remember the old DVD-A sounding?

It wouldn't be the first time I've felt so-called identical masterings sound different from one format to another (probably playback gear plus bit of placebo effect.. but who knows!?) if the DVD-A didn't exist it'd be an instant 11..!
As it is, I'll now only be in a position to vote a 20 out of 10 :D :ugham:

Hmm.. I don't know what to think.. I've only given it a quick play through but it seems a bit brighter maybe than I remember the old DVD-A sounding?

It wouldn't be the first time I've felt so-called identical masterings sound different from one format to another (probably playback gear plus bit of placebo effect.. but who knows!?) if the DVD-A didn't exist it'd be an instant 11..!
As it is, I'll now only be in a position to vote a 20 out of 10 :D :ugham:

Is this winelight?...

I'm surprised...I didn't hear any brightness...I felt it was sharper and more distinct...the music stood out more...not that "treble" sounding brightness...

Sharper and more distinct may well be a better description of the brightness I was hearing, rather than boosted treble (y) ..I dunno, I love them both!

Tutu is fantastic! It's one of my favorite DVD-A's. With over 500 Miles Davis discs, including two dozen box sets, and a 70 CD/1 DVD box, I'm a fan of the highest order. Saw him live half a dozen times. IMHO, This is one of his most essential albums. The fidelity and mix are great, too.

You are so right! This one will be in frequent listening rotation! :D

Hard to believe but post number 2,000 is about jazz...haven't heard that disc...but I have heard that album...and it's excellent...I do prefer Kind Of Blue...again I'm talking about the content of the album...not the disc...you can't go wrong with either one..

There are different periods of Miles. For someone who recorded for nearly 50 years, it's inevitable. Kind of Blue is from 1959. Tutu is from 1986. Tutu is also the first Miles record to use synths and modern recording techniques. The great Marcus Miller had a huge hand in Tutu. Tutu is a mid-'80's take on jazz fusion. Kind of Blue is acoustic modal jazz with Trane, Bill Evans, and Julian "Cannibal" Adderley. Cannibal was the nickname that was cleaned up, and became Cannonball. IT'S ALL GOOD!

Hard to believe but post number 2,000 is about jazz...haven't heard that disc...but I have heard that album...and it's excellent...I do prefer Kind Of Blue...again I'm talking about the content of the album...not the disc...you can't go wrong with either one..

Back