What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuckling over that Rome HD-DVD that hasn't shown up yet and no Blu Ray ever announced that I'm aware of.

Yes, I am still disappointed that not only was the initial Blu-Ray release of "When In Rome" nixed, but it still hasn't appeared after all this time.
It's especially ironic that "Three Sides Live" (a film produced in 1981) has beaten "When In Rome" to a Blu-Ray release, especially since WIR was recorded on HD video! But hey, there's always next year for that 10th anniversary, by which time I'm sure they will announce a 4k UHD disc release, only to nix that too! ;) :confused:

R-1820499-1385926106-1395.jpeg.jpg

The new Steve Wilson [masterful, might I add] remixes of Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings and Please Don't Touch. Played the 5.1 surrounds (DTS) tonight and was thrilled by both the music, the amazing sonics and Wilson's SUPERB 5.1 remixes. Also played the 96/24 stereo remaster of Please don't Touch and it's a SONIC MARVEL. Still have to dig through the RBCDs but all in all, if you like old Genesis you can do no better than these wonderful reissues from Virgin Records.

A side note: fredblue had a problem accessing the DTS codec on Spectral Mornings. I have so far auditioned it on two separate players and NO problem accessing the DTS 5.1 codec.

http://www.importcds.com/spectral-mornings-deluxe-edition/602547768117

http://www.importcds.com/please-dont-touch-me-deluxe-edition/602547768629

The new Steve Wilson [masterful, might I add] remixes of Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings and Please Don't Touch. Played the 5.1 surrounds (DTS) tonight and was thrilled by both the music, the amazing sonics and Wilson's SUPERB 5.1 remixes. Also played the 96/24 stereo remaster of Please don't Touch and it's a SONIC MARVEL. Still have to dig through the RBCDs but all in all, if you like old Genesis you can do no better than these wonderful reissues from Virgin Records.

A side note: fredblue had a problem accessing the DTS codec on Spectral Mornings. I have so far auditioned it on two separate players and NO problem accessing the DTS 5.1 codec.

Glad you got the DTS working ok, Ralphie :upthumb
(Ps. This is the DVD-A section, innit ;) )

Just so no one's confused, the DVD doesn't contain a 96/24 remaster of the original stereo mix. It's Steven Wilson's stereo remix at 96/24.
(Just didn't want anyone that doesn't have these to think they contain the original stereo mix in high-res, cause they don't. They also are not DVD-A discs but DVD-V) :)

Tacet Beethoven's 9th SACD

Can't be bothered to find a photo of it.

Generally it is wonderful - one or two observations...

• Early on when people start singing, there is some female vocalising sort of dead centre upfront. Sounds distinctly odd to me.
  • That catchy bit while they're singing with the gorgeous melody and wondrous rhythm sounds remarkably good. It's that bit where Rachel Elkind sings and swings with W. Carlos in the Clockwork Orange.
  • At one point a little later on there is a wonderful effect in the rear speakers that could almost come from a sci-fi record.
  • I think it's one of Tacet's best. Well pleased with it.

The Cars/Original Master recording: great fidelity, dynamic range, & good 5.1 Surround/ a keeper!The Cars.jpg

Just so no one's confused, the DVD doesn't contain a 96/24 remaster of the original stereo mix. It's Steven Wilson's stereo remix at 96/24.
(Just didn't want anyone that doesn't have these to think they contain the original stereo mix in high-res, cause they don't. They also are not DVD-A discs but DVD-V) :)

Ironically, RT, although it's NOT technically a DVD~A disc the remastered Hackett 96/24 Stereo does play as a DVD~A stereo in my Meridian 808 Reference Player. The 808 will NOT play any 96/24 files from any of the Monster Music DVDs as it has NO video outputs nor can navigate the MM menus (to choose DTS, DD or Hi Res Stereo). I have to play the DTS 5.1 Hackett codecs via my Meridian 800 but the 808 IS superior at playing 96/24 than the 800. Also I can play all the TULL DVD~V's 96/24 stereo remasters through the 808 as well (they play exactly as a DVD~A stereo would play) and really do eclipse the SQ of the wonderful sounding DTS 5.1 (Day and Night).

Ironically, RT, although it's NOT technically a DVD~A disc the remastered Hackett 96/24 Stereo does play as a DVD~A stereo in my Meridian 808 Reference Player. The 808 will NOT play any 96/24 files from any of the Monster Music DVDs as it has NO video outputs nor can navigate the MM menus (to choose DTS, DD or Hi Res Stereo). I have to play the DTS 5.1 Hackett codecs via my Meridian 800 but the 808 IS superior at playing 96/24 than the 800. Also I can play all the TULL DVD~V's 96/24 stereo remasters through the 808 as well (they play exactly as a DVD~A stereo would play) and really do eclipse the SQ of the wonderful sounding DTS 5.1 (Day and Night).

So what you're saying is that you can play the 96/24 stereo on your 808 because stereo is the default stream, easily accessible without a TV? (Headless operation)
That's funny, cause it's the exact opposite of what a lot of us want, which are discs in which the 5.1 stream is the default and accessible without the need for a TV, but then that's not possible with DVD-V because you can't have the default stream be a DTS stream. Otherwise it's out of spec.
Basically it's just another long-winded way of me saying that DVD-A/V is better than DVD-V. ;)

So what you're saying is that you can play the 96/24 stereo on your 808 because stereo is the default stream, easily accessible without a TV? (Headless operation)
That's funny, cause it's the exact opposite of what a lot of us want, which are discs in which the 5.1 stream is the default and accessible without the need for a TV, but then that's not possible with DVD-V because you can't have the default stream be a DTS stream. Otherwise it's out of spec.
Basically it's just another long-winded way of me saying that DVD-A/V is better than DVD-V. ;)

I have a great number of DVD~V 5.1 discs with accompanying Stereo 96/24 codecs which WILL play on the 808 and which, IMO, add GREAT value to those otherwise LOSSY DTS discs. There ARE posters who don't care about LOSSY vs. LOSSLESS but I certainly DO and as I've mentioned copious times ...... after hearing the fabulous 5.1 remasters of the TULL discs.....when playing the accompanying 96/24 LOSSLESS Stereo via my 808 it is utterly apparent and transparent that LOSSLESS TRUMPS LOSSY......SIGNIFICANTLY!

If one buys a new Meridian 808.2 today, it will NOT play DVD~A 96/24 but ONLY RBCDs. I bought an original 808 years ago and it did play DVD~A 96/24 and I've never had it altered to meet the 808.2's newer specs. GLAD I didn't. Plays those Classic Records HDAD DVD~A stereos with absolutely astounding fidelity.

Addenda: I can also access the 96/24 files of Ten Years After "A Space In Time" via the 808 and thank the stars it does as we all know the 4.0 QUAD remix has reversed f/r channels and the 96/24 stereo is spectacular!

As we all know Ryan, these discs aren't cheap and when one considers the price of a 96/24 download, you can understand how vital it is to me to have the ability to play the 96/24 files of a DVD~V....in utmost fidelity!

Rob Reed's Sanctuary II arrived, and its a DVD-Audio, I'd forgotten it was to be released this week, a nice surprise :banana: - So that makes up for being told yesterday I'm being made redundant at Christmas :howl

I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

CCF09016_0000 (1024x303).jpg
CCF09016_0001 (1024x301).jpg

Back