What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got these used DVD-A pretty cheap.:banana:

rem.jpg

Got these used DVD-A pretty cheap.:banana:

View attachment 26358

Those really are great albums (and great surround mixes to boot, too!)
Everyone tends to knock them because they are not the 'rock' R.E.M. we all came to know and love, but each album contains some really amazing and thoughtful compositions, the kind of productions that are perfect for opening up in surround sound. Enjoy! :)

I'm just starting to discover their music... Until now I had only their best of dvd-a, which I really enjoy! :music

I'm just starting to discover their music... Until now I had only their best of dvd-a, which I really enjoy! :music

Seriously, do your best to find all of their albums on DVD-A! (That would encompass their discography from "Document" to "Around the Sun")
Not only are the mixes fantastic, but each album contains some really amazing songs, including some album cuts you may never discover otherwise.
Plus, I haven't really done a thorough back-to-back test yet, but if I recall correctly, some of the surround mixes on the albums are different than the ones on the Best Of, and the album ones are usually more discrete! So go hunt them down and check them all out! :)

The R.E.M. catalog is seriously under-represented in my surround collection as well. I only have Reveal. I need to fill in the gaps. Didn't even realize until recently that they are Elliot Scheiner mixes. I do enjoy the Reveal disc, it has some very nice moments.

Seriously, do your best to find all of their albums on DVD-A! (That would encompass their discography from "Document" to "Around the Sun")
Not only are the mixes fantastic, but each album contains some really amazing songs, including some album cuts you may never discover otherwise.
Plus, I haven't really done a thorough back-to-back test yet, but if I recall correctly, some of the surround mixes on the albums are different than the ones on the Best Of, and the album ones are usually more discrete! So go hunt them down and check them all out! :)

I agree big time. (y) (y)Some of these releases (Possibly all, I'm not completely sure because I'm missing several of them from my collection), are generally authored nicely and contain a good deal of video extras to boot.

rtbluray: do you know what's up with non-issue of the first few releases in the R.E.M. discography? Non availability of multitracks? Different company owns them? "Fables of the Reconstruction" in 5.1 would be nice. Especially if it were up to the standard of the existing 5.1 releases.

I agree big time. (y) (y)Some of these releases (Possibly all, I'm not completely sure because I'm missing several of them from my collection), are generally authored nicely and contain a good deal of video extras to boot.

rtbluray: do you know what's up with non-issue of the first few releases in the R.E.M. discography? Non availability of multitracks? Different company owns them? "Fables of the Reconstruction" in 5.1 would be nice. Especially if it were up to the standard of the existing 5.1 releases.

I don't know if any of the tapes from the first four albums are missing, but some are under different copyright ownerships and record labels.
"Murmur" and "Reckoning" have been under Universal's ownership for some time, while "Fables of the Reconstruction", "Life's Rich Pageant", and "Document" used to be under EMI's control, but that changed over to Universal when EMI went defunct at the end of 2012.
My best guess is that at the time EMI felt that only "Document" was worth remixing in surround sound as it was the only R.E.M. album they owned that had any substantial commercial value to it.
(Obviously and thankfully, Warner Bros went full steam ahead at the time remixing all of their R.E.M. albums in surround sound, and I'm still very grateful to them this day for making that great decision!) :)

The R.E.M. catalog is seriously under-represented in my surround collection as well. I only have Reveal. I need to fill in the gaps. Didn't even realize until recently that they are Elliot Scheiner mixes. I do enjoy the Reveal disc, it has some very nice moments.

If you like Reveal, you will really enjoy several of the others. From a surround standpoint "Automatic for the People" and "Around the Sun" are excellent.

If you are a R.E.M. newbie, here is my advise. This release series never got the attention it deserved IMHO, nor did the band. Like someone here said, there are different versions of R.E.M. Early stuff is pretty much hard rock, then there is a middle period that blends in a lot of what most people define as "alternative" (I never understood that term). Late period material is like middle period material but it gets a little more mellow. This kinda corresponds with Michael Stipe's changes over time guess.

Recommendations:

Document
Fables of the Reconstruction
Out of Time
Automatic for the People
Around the Sun

and the greatest hits disk offers nice selections as well

Sorry R.E.M. was never hard rock. Radio Free Europe in 1983 put them on the alternative (not conventional radio hard rock if that helps) map and MTV.

The crunchiest they ever got was something like Orange Crush in 1989. They did get folkier and quasi-mainstream, string arrangements by John Paul Jones, flavor of the month then abandoned. They wisely hung it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like Reveal, you will really enjoy several of the others. From a surround standpoint "Automatic for the People" and "Around the Sun" are excellent.

If you are a R.E.M. newbie, here is my advise. This release series never got the attention it deserved IMHO, nor did the band. Like someone here said, there are different versions of R.E.M. Early stuff is pretty much hard rock, then there is a middle period that blends in a lot of what most people define as "alternative" (I never understood that term). Late period material is like middle period material but it gets a little more mellow. This kinda corresponds with Michael Stipe's changes over time guess.

Recommendations:

Document
Fables of the Reconstruction
Out of Time
Automatic for the People
Around the Sun

and the greatest hits disk offers nice selections as well

They have always been a band that has blown hot & cold for me. Just going by what I know of them from the radio, some of their stuff I think is really great, while there's other things I can't get into. I actually saw them twice. First in 1983 (they were opening for The Police) and I didn't like it at all. (The Police were playing two shows in my town, the second night I didn't even bother to show up in time to see R.E.M.'s set.) I caught them again 20 years later and thought they were excellent. I've also seen Peter Buck a few times with Robyn Hitchcock and thought he complimented Hitchcock incredibly well.

The remaining titles are certainly on my want-list, I just need to find them at an affordable price. :yikes

Sorry R.E.M. was never hard rock. Radio Free Europe in 1983 put them on the alternative (not conventional radio hard rock if that helps) map and MTV.

The crunchiest they ever got was something like Orange Crush in 1989. They did get folkier and quasi-mainstream, string arrangements by John Paul Jones, flavor of the month then abandoned. They wisely hung it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll agree with that. Maybe say they started with "hard alternative". Did I just invent that category?

This showed up today from importcds. Was about $9 plus shipping. Probably not my type of music. More of a curiosity item than anything else.

front.jpg

back.jpg

This showed up today from importcds. Was about $9 plus shipping. Probably not my type of music. More of a curiosity item than anything else.

front.jpg

back.jpg

C~boy, the Krall disc is solid with some VERY tasty jazz interludes. Another wonderful, tastefully discrete, superbly recorded mch album from Herbie Hancock (and available cheap from Import CD) is this: http://www.importcds.com/hancock-herbie-gershwins-world/602498610060 Listen to the sample tracks @ ImportCD. Really wish VERVE had put out more current Jazz albums in multichannel as great as this one.

Get 'em at 10% off while the sale lasts.

Back