What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a heads up, there's a copy of the Townshend/Lane Rough Mix DualDisc on the bay listed as good with a buy it now price of 15.99. Don't know the seller and I have two already, love the disc.

Just a heads up, there's a copy of the Townshend/Lane Rough Mix DualDisc on the bay listed as good with a buy it now price of 15.99. Don't know the seller and I have two already, love the disc.

I can't see it so I guess it's already been snatched by someone here. I'll be on the lookout for another copy.

just ordered last two XTC "Nonsuch" DVD-A from amazon.
not like i'm interesting in such music but at $12+some change each disc, free shipping and SWs mix you can't lose anything, isn't?

not like i'm interesting in such music but at $12+some change each disc, free shipping and SWs mix you can't lose anything, isn't?

"Nonsuch" is an amazing album that has a terrific surround mix!
It should definitely be worth the money you paid for it.
Hope you enjoy it! :)

Otto , Snood thinks you will be impressed and maybe a new XTC fan :banana:

i'm pretty sure i won't listen other than initial check on surround mix.
what is weird, is that 80s was time of my full immersion into world of music,
my first decent stereo system, first LPs and cassettes and lot of artists/bands of that time.
now i hardly can stand to pop scene of 80s even from point of nostalgy.

"1984" by Anthony Phillips arrived today, and since I'm off tomorrow, I definitely plan on giving it a spin sometime very soon! :)

Eli & The 13th Confession - Laura Nyro (AF MultiCh QUAD SACD)

Wonderful sound and surround.. makes you wonder how many other unreleased Quads there are in the vaults of such similar quality..?

Eli & The 13th Confession - Laura Nyro (AF MultiCh QUAD SACD)

Wonderful sound and surround.. makes you wonder how many other unreleased Quads there are in the vaults of such similar quality..?

Adam, what TRULY amazed me about ELI was the uncanny quality of the early QUAD mixers [also evidenced by the Chicago Quadio discs]. IMO, they were WAY ahead of their time and they're textbook examples of what QUAD should sound like.

There are probably literally hundreds of unreleased QUAD mixes from Columbia [SONY] alone and because of the equipment failure of the time they were probably held back for release due to lackluster sales and interest in the fledgling format.

Having listened to ELI since the late 60's on various formats, it was like hearing it for the VERY first time. The restored bass, the almost silent backgrounds and Laura's voice floating in space is a surreal example of the power of early surround engineers creating a musical pallette literally from scratch. Poverty Train is an absolute STUNNER....and a pluperfect example of extremely skillful implementation of the surround process.

WHY in 2016, recording artists are content to record in stereo [on multitrack machines] and release on Vinyl is SUCH a step backwards for ALL involved.....most especially considering that the movie studios are forging FULL SPEED ahead with Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D.

It's really ashame that AF is curtailing their forthcoming QUAD release schedule but it's understandable considering the majors are putting every obstacle in their path and charging excessive amounts of money to make even one QUAD release possible.

Whether the majors take up the slack is hardly unlikely at this late stage of the game. But, unfortunately, they're our ONLY REAL hope...or so it seems!

Last edited:
Luckie me!
I went to Grimey's in Nashville, and they had one copy of the new "Eli and the Thirteenth Confession" SACD by Laura Nyro, so I bought it, and I'm listening to it now and will vote afterwards! :)

ADDENDUM: I also bought a used CD/DVD-A copy of "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" by R.E.M. for my parents' Acura.
(I've been having a copy of it since around 2011.)

Last edited:
Katatonia - Dethroned and Uncrowned - DVDA
Rob Reed - Sanctuary I - DVDA

Thanks Burning Shed :) Can you believe that I bought Sanctuary II before Sanctuary I. Absolute madness, so I found out what happened in the sequel before I got the first one :confused: !!

PT - Lightbulb Sun DVD-A....okay, so I'm a few years behind on my purchases ;)

image_zpso18dy3p3.jpg

Prokofiev / Saint Saëns - Peter and the Wolf / Carnival of the Animals (Tacet SACD): Apparently this is the first attempt of Tacet's "moving surround". For me it sounds a bit clumsy (later discs sound better and more "organic" - if you can call something completely artificial - that. But it's fun anyway..
Rachmaninov / Tchaikovsky - Piano Trios (Tacet DVD-A): Also in "moving surround" and "real surround sound" as well. Had no chance to listen to it yet.
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons (Tacet SACD): This is really great (no "moving surround" on this sacd, only "real surround sound"). This is a piece so well known (I'm pretty sure in every movie with a restaurant scene it plays in the background), that I really didn't expect to hear something new. But in fact this surround mix adds so much to the listening experience that it seems to me like a totally unheard piece of music.
The three above I found because of the great Tacet thread on this forum. Thank you all for mentioning it!
Prokofiev - Romeo & Juliet complete ballett score, LSO (SACD).
Finally: My Chicago Quadio order has arrived. I have to fetch it from the mail station today. So you know what I'll be doing the next days. I'm really thrilled.

51pVQJ4sE4L222.jpg51AEAcBt87L111.jpg
Awaken -Various artist. Rave Hip Hop electronica. Not my cup of tea but the mix is pretty aggressive and the artwork is kind of cool. Oh well it was only $4.99

Back