Console: Zenith Allegro Allemande Model F946AE quad Console

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much would it cost to ship that thing to Ohio? Lol

My dad was a huge Zenith guy. My first taste of quad was the Allegro set that was wedge shaped. The turntable had a ceramic cart and was stereo only but the 8-track player was quad. We bought it at Polk Brothers which, at the time was the ultimate!! They sold records and tapes and electronics and furniture. (it was the first place I ever heard Something/Anything by Todd Rundgren and I was hooked). My first two quad 8's were Best of Buddy Rich and Ventures "Hawwaii Five O".

Later we bought a big Zenith console stereo that had sensors to change modes that use the heat of your fingers to change instead of push buttons. Later he invested in a cassette recorder that slipped down in to a slot inside the stereo. We also had color organ lights that were located next to the stereo cabinet on both sides. Then picture (if you can) olive green colored, crushed velvet plastic covered high back chairs with an oyster colored crushed velvet plastic covered couch. Lamps with aurora borealis bases and a smoked mirror wall in our living room. Think I'm Italian, much??!!?? But I digress... that stereo was theeee coolest!

Well I did it. I finally found the console! Cost me $50. Turntable is seized up and the 8-track needs a belt. The radio sounds lovely. The hunt is finally over.

ForumRunner_20160410_010237.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010319.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010341.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010405.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010433.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010458.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010521.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010544.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010608.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010631.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010651.jpg

ForumRunner_20160410_010710.jpg

Nice find Q8! I had my grandfathers' stereo Zenith and it rocked. It was the one that got away. While I got $50 for it when I desperately needed room, it was sad to see it go. I am sure the speaker drivers were something special. That thing could play rock and roll loud and not disturb the turntable at all. My favourite was to play Wes Dakus at 3/4 volume and tone at full. You could feel the air the drivers moved. Check out the Vinyl Engine forum for help restoring the turntable, and Gary at http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com will also help sort you out with service manual and styli/cartridge as you need them.

I have what I think is the stylus for that TT, fresh new in box. BTW. If that is the very lightweight, "floating" type of cart on that arm.

Happy for ya! Looks like the only thing missing is the extra speakers. That would have been AWESOME!!
The belt for the 8-track should be easy enough to find. The turn table probably just needs the old grease cleaned out really good and re-lubed. I read a few posts back that most consoles had a Voice Of Music turntable, but Zenith almost always used BSR. There will be tags on each component with model numbers. Those will come in handy for finding manuals...and parts....such as belts and needles!

Not sure where you are in Ohio, but these just showed up in Cinncy....
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/eld/5497185887.html

May be able to haggle a bit, who knows!

Earlier in this thread was back when I got the rear speakers. I have had them packed away till I got the console. That ad was exactly where I got the console. I just bought the console from him since I already had the speakers, and he wants a bit much for the speakers.

Looks like you're ready to rock!! Let us know how the quad separation is. I have a line on a bigger zenith with all four speakers in the cabinet. It's a long way from here, but I would love to have it. It has the same internals.

I have what I think is the stylus for that TT, fresh new in box. BTW. If that is the very lightweight, "floating" type of cart on that arm.

Yes, I believe that is the lightweight floaty cart, it floats on a spring. The stylus spins around for a 78 and an LP stylus. If that is the right one, I'd love to have it if you don't need it.

Yes, I believe that is the lightweight floaty cart, it floats on a spring. The stylus spins around for a 78 and an LP stylus. If that is the right one, I'd love to have it if you don't need it.

FWIW, that is a BSR table with a Tetrad cart, or there might have been replacements for the cart. The cartridge is ceramic, not magnetic. They work fine when they work but they did fail in a way magnetics just didn't.
Cool system and room, by the way. Our kitchen table here looks like the same formica.

FWIW, that is a BSR table with a Tetrad cart, or there might have been replacements for the cart. The cartridge is ceramic, not magnetic. They work fine when they work but they did fail in a way magnetics just didn't.
Cool system and room, by the way. Our kitchen table here looks like the same formica.

Are you sure it's BSR? It looks kinda like a BSR but all those old changers look similar anyway. I've never seen a BSR with a "floaty" cart. I've also never seen a BSR without some outward marking that it is a BSR. I wish there was a way to upgrade the cart on those.

Also I got the rear speakers rewired to the console tonight. A little deoxit (it gave me a scare cause one channel was out at first) and its back in business for 4 channel sound.

I'm just playing the radio thus far and I'm guessing Matrix 1 is SQ and 2 IS QS/RM.

I am glad you got it working. One thing to know, never use alcohol or any liquid to clean the stylus on that cartridge. The elements are in the open and the rubber drive member is a wick for moisture and it will go into the ceramic elements. This is from experience with a similar Zenith tabletop Allegro unit I had once. And yes, on a closer look, it is a BSR, which means easily available parts from almost any donor BSR unit. It is extremely easy to service as well. While I wouldn't play my best records, new records or audiophile grade records on it. It did track at 2-3 grams and was fairly compliant for a ceramic cartridge. It will play disco LP's with no serious harm and tracck the bass lines. Modern 12" singles would be out though. For what it is, you could certainly have done a lot worse.

Last edited:
Back