Labelle Nightbirds & Billy Joel Steetlife Serenade - Audio Fidelity 4.0 SACD!!! (May 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Billy Joel

"Streetlife Serenade"

Hybrid SACD 4.0 Multichannel

Billy_Joel_Streetlife_Serenade_Mockup.jpg

AFZ5 207 ~ UPC 780014220723 ~ $29.99

Street Date: April 21, 2015

"Streetlife Serenade" is Joel's third studio album originally released in 1974. "Streetlife Serenade" may rank as one of his finest efforts. Songs included are "The Great Suburban Showdown" and "Last of the Big Time Spenders". Spunky instrumentals, "Root Beer Rag" and "The Mexican Connection” show off Billy's formidable piano playing skills. Also included are "Weekend Song" and the rocker, "The Entertainer". Put all of these elements together and add 4.0 Quad and you have a very special Billy Joel album that appeals to the audiophile, the record collector and the music lover.

LaBelle_Nightbirds_Mockup.jpg

Labelle

"Nightbirds"

Hybrid SACD 4.0 Multichannel

AFZ5 196 ~ UPC 780014219628 ~ $29.99

Street Date: April 21, 2015

"Voulez-Vous Coucher Avec Moi, Ce Soir"

This is the album that taught the world how to seduce in French. "Nightbirds" became Labelle's most successful record, capturing the trio at their creative peak. The 1974 album included their international hit "Lady Marmalade". The album brought international fame to Labelle. The success of the album helped to pioneer the disco movement and influenced dance music for decades. In 2003 the album was listed as one of Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 greatest albums of all time. The 4.0 Quad was only released for a short period of time so this is a real musical treat as well as a collector’s dream that appeals to the audiophile, the record collector and fans of Patti Labelle.

Attachments

• Streetlife sacd.jpg
    Streetlife sacd.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 425
  • Labelle.jpg
    Labelle.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 422
Wow, those are amazing titles!

Streetlife Serenade was only ever released in SQ so it'll be great to see what the quad mix truly sounds like. There are some classic tracks on there!

Nightbirds is a great album (with a quad mix too) and I'm really glad to see that AF is continuing to pursue releasing a variety of different genres. I really hope this continues.

I've got the Billy Joel on vinyl, which I managed to decode via an OD script. However, I am happy that it's being released on SACD and hope to buy it. I was hoping the Billy Joel quads would get picked up! Hopefully Piano Man will get released too.

Wow, those are amazing titles!

Streetlife Serenade was only ever released in SQ so it'll be great to see what the quad mix truly sounds like. There are some classic tracks on there!

Nightbirds is a great album (with a quad mix too) and I'm really glad to see that AF is continuing to pursue releasing a variety of different genres. I really hope this continues.

Turnstiles was the album only released as SQ. Unfortunately, that one is licensed by MFSL, so unless they decide to do a Stereo/MC SACD, we probably won't get that one. :(

The mixes on all the Billy Joel quads are excellent. They better not print the same amount as they did with BS&T sacd or they will be gone quick most likely. Will the AF 2 channel guys like this title too, or is there already a quality stereo version out on this one?

Those who have heard the Q8's of "Piano Man" and "Streetlife Serenade" know that these are extreme quad mixes. They are very discrete, to the point where if you shut off the rears you lose part of the mix. So those into this mixing philosophy will like this one a lot. As for the Labelle, it was one of the late period Columbia releases, so the SQ LPs and especially the Q8's were not very plentiful. Hardy any made the cutouts, and I would guess that once the initial pressing of the LP and the first batch of Q8's went to distribution, that was all she wrote.

So, here we go, two more titles rescued by Audio Fidelity from the musty dusty tape vaults of Columbia. If you find yourself not interested in either of these titles, don't complain or fret, by the output we've seen from AF I am sure there will be more titles coming (and that in itself is totally remarkable) and there's sure to be one or two that match your tastes as they press on! :)

The mixes on all the Billy Joel quads are excellent. They better not print the same amount as they did with BS&T sacd or they will be gone quick most likely. Will the AF 2 channel guys like this title too, or is there already a quality stereo version out on this one?

Didn't MOFI do a bunch of 2 channel BJ SACDs a few years back, not long after AF did a couple? However, if it's a Hoffman related master I suspect some people associated with his forum will be all over it.

Turnstiles was the album only released as SQ. Unfortunately, that one is licensed by MFSL, so unless they decide to do a Stereo/MC SACD, we probably won't get that one. :(

The version they did do on Turnstiles was pretty poor by most accounts...this title has been unfinished for over a year that I know of...probably longer...I wish MFSL didn't have the rights to his material...they get the rights and just sit on these titles

Oops, you're right Jon, sorry for the misinformation. In my own defense my hands were shaking with excitement so it was hard to type and/or form coherent thoughts. ;)

A note to Audio Fidelity: I hadn't bought any AF product until this multi-channel project started up; I have now.

Didn't MOFI do a bunch of 2 channel BJ SACDs a few years back, not long after AF did a couple? However, if it's a Hoffman related master I suspect some people associated with his forum will be all over it.
Some of his stuff has been recently been released on HDTracks but I haven't heard them. Not sure if this was one of them.

"Streetlife Serenade" is a really shocking choice IMO given the MFSL SACDs released of Billy Joel's catalogue in recent years.

Downside is how likely is it that AF could get the Quad mixes of "Piano Man" and "Turnstiles" and reissue them on SACD?
Not as likely since SACDs already exist for those, which makes it all the more remarkable that MF never did an SACD for "Streetlife Serenade", giving AF this window to provide it all for us!

Not a big Billy Joel fan, but I will probably give that one a shot. Can't say the same for the Labelle disc.

Oh and speaking of Billy Joel, it would be wonderful to get either Blu-Ray or SACD reissues of the 5.1 mixes of "52nd Street" and "The Stranger". :)

Can't wait for both titles as well as the other Multi-Channel titles. :smokin

Looks like April and this year is going to be Really Fun listening times! :sun

Streetlife Serenade by Billy Joel has never been released on SACD - by Sony or Mobile Fidelity. So it was a natural to explore for a Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity!

Actually Streetlife Serenade by Billy Joel has never been released on SACD - by Sony or Mobile Fidelity. So it was a natural to explore for Audio Fidelity!

With the outstanding sound quality AF has been giving us with their recent ventures I'm excited about the future...please convey that feeling to Marshall...keep up the good work..

Back