I think I paid too much!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
:rolleyes:This thread deals with the 5.1 or quad releases you purchased and now upon reflection, realize you may have paid too much for.Specifically discs you purchased locally (no shipping costs involved).For the most part these are ones you wanted so were willing to pay a little extra.
It would be advisable to provide approximate retail price and what you actually parted with in order to demonstrate your loss.
If you have regrets or not indicate this as well.

So anyway I'll start. Ray Thomas Mighty Oaks box set.Puchased locally.The store ordered it in for me and I was given an approx. $ price of fifty-fifty eight , it was $57.00 with taxes final cost to me about $68.00 Canadian, and all I wanted of course was the quad dvd in the set.So In my opinion it's probably twice what it's worth for the quad disc (and Dullbee 5.1 at that), but like any quad addict paid up anyway. 20150313_183837.jpg20150313_183804.jpg

Quad releases? No, except...a seller had a quad Miles' LIVE - EVIL for $40 mint, and when I got it the records were VG+ (touchy) at best, but the gatefold cover in very rough shape with ringwear and other mess.

Very serious exception, that, but then, I bought BITCHES BREW on vinyl and stupidly ignored the above when the quad came out. Doh!

ED :)

Edit: What quad FOR MIGHTY OAKS? It's been confirmed that it was never released.

Now this next one I probably paid $20.00 more than what retail was at the time but had a difficult time trying to find locally in order to obtain locally.I do believe in supporting local retailers first whenever possible.
This disc I paid $68.00 final with tax canadian (was quoted $45.00 originally as the approximation)
But I don't regret this disc just the final price paid.I remember leaving the store with my disc thinking-"ouch that hurt"
20150313_183858.jpgA very good MIKE OLDFIELD disc in DTS though.

So anyway I'll start. Ray Thomas Mighty Oaks box set.Puchased locally.The store ordered it in for me and I was given an approx. $ price of fifty-fifty eight , it was $57.00 with taxes final cost to me about $68.00 Canadian, and all I wanted of course was the quad dvd in the set.So In my opinion it's probably twice what it's worth for the quad disc (and Dullbee 5.1 at that), but like any quad addict paid up anyway.View attachment 17671View attachment 17672

You got a relative bargain! A used one is £73 quid (more than double what you paid) on Amazon UK right now!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/From-Mighty-Hopes-Wishes-Dreams/dp/B003XKB0NU

It was issued in the dvd mentioned above... :eek:

p.s. I paid NZ$65... for it but I don't regret it.

Its a fab little set (as is the Tony Banks/Curious Feeling set w/5.1 that similarly goes for an arm and a leg nowadays).. though mine's been defaced with some scrawl.. signed by some bloke called "Ray" I think..? :eek:

This was a local retailer though.

But I have known some pricey amazon too

Yeah, there is something in supporting local retailers. That said, I did get a nearly small local retailer to match HMV for a record, however they also sell food and I ended up spending an extra CA$40 on lunch for me and a friend!

I don't think one pays too much if you REALLY wanted the item...(unless it goes up to 4 figures..)

Yep...I agree...I have no buyers remorse on paying around $150 for the box set of Aqualung just to get the blu ray...I'd do it again..believe it or not I had remorse on buying some $10 discs because they were Silverline Front Row discs...they don't even make a good Frisbee...complete and utter trash...someone on here jokes about them being titled "from the parking lot" not the front row...and they are right...in the beginning of buying surround discs I overpaid..but I was so late coming to the party I had little choice...luckily I made some great choices...

Yep...I agree...I have no buyers remorse on paying around $150 for the box set of Aqualung just to get the blu ray...I'd do it again..believe it or not I had remorse on buying some $10 discs because they were Silverline Front Row discs...they don't even make a good Frisbee...complete and utter trash...someone on here jokes about them being titled "from the parking lot" not the front row...and they are right...in the beginning of buying surround discs I overpaid..but I was so late coming to the party I had little choice...luckily I made some great choices...
Not a bad price for Aqualung. I paid 165.00 +tax=$180.00 and for that title, I'd do it again.This is a great box set by an excellent band.No scarf, no marbles, no coasters-you know-nothing to send for recycling!

i'm strongly believe almost everything which record industry tries to sell us is a way overpriced.
justification for let's say for 30~40 bucks per disc can be found in case of new recording, when work itself
involve cost of studio, equipment, hired musicians and tech. stuff, etc.
when it comes to reissue of old recording, which already paid off itself many times during the years if not decades
ago - the cost for production is greatly minimized and final tag price doesn't have any justification.
so, in fact everything, be it DVDA, SACD, BD-A - in 99% purchases we pay too much.

For their quality and quantity of content, etc., the Yes/XTC Blu-ray + CD sets are a complete bargain imho.. surely no-one can grumble about the prices of those!?

Back