DVD, CD/DVD 5.1 NO PACKAGE INDICATION IT IS SURROUND!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Now I know we have 2 good threads which have some titles like this indicated, but for the most part they are titles which indicate upmixes in 5.1 and true discreet 5.1.The majorityof these (almost all) have some " IDENTIFICATION ON THE PACKAGING" of surround content.
This thread is for a compilation of those titles which have absolutely no packaging indication that it contains 5.1 on the dvd.
There are a large number of cd/dvd titles out there, and many more continue to be released.And I for one have always wondered if some of those attached dvd titles contain 5.1 or 4ch or are they all 2ch.
It's too bad one has to purchase some of these in order to find out.

NOTE:If I have indeed missed a thread that lists these and these alone, then the moderator should kill this thread.thanks.

Anyway two titles with no 5.1 indication:

LED ZEPPELIN-MOTHERSHIP cd/dvd (dts+dd 5.1)

ROD STEWART-UNPLUGGED AND SEATED (dd 5.1) has dd emblem on back of package but that could very well mean 2ch and often does.

Two titles come immediately to mind:

1. John Hiatt - Master of Disaster (in a gateford CD package): It has a small SACD logo on the back but no indication of surround even in the fine print on the back.
2. Boz Scaggs - Dig (in a gateford CD package with a red spine): the small print on the rear indicates an "enhanced CD" but on most products where this term is used the content is not surround sound.

Ya, your right about the JOHN HIATT. Did not even consider that one.I'm not certain about Scaggs Dig-don't have mine with me, but I thought the large sticker had something-but maybe not.

Anyway......I'll repeat a couple mentioned in long past posts.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN-THE SEEGER SESSIONS dualdisc DD5.1 plus the american legend edition

ENYA-GREATEST HITS cd/dvd dts 5.1

I'm not certain about Scaggs Dig-don't have mine with me, but I thought the large sticker had something-but maybe not.

I bought the Boz Scaggs used, and I assume by now all members finding one in a store would be seeing it used, so therefore no more stickers!

Beyonce - Beyonce (Blu-Ray) :)

What surround format? Pcm? Or ......

And one that someone previously mentioned on an older post which is the entire purpose of this thread............

NEIL YOUNG-FORK IN THE ROAD cd/dvd only( one track in dts) even if it is average surround (rate it 5 imo)

What surround format? Pcm? Or ......

And one that someone previously mentioned on an older post which is the entire purpose of this thread............

NEIL YOUNG-FORK IN THE ROAD cd/dvd only( one track in dts) even if it is average surround (rate it 5 imo)

The Beyoncé Visual Album is in 5.1 on Blu-ray (the DVD is stereo afaik) there is nothing on the packaging of the Blu-ray edition itself to indicate the inclusion of 5.1 mix.

Also we should keep in mind DTS indicated on a dvd pretty much guaranteed it being 5.1 but that may now no longer be the case as BLURAY
can have dts and be in stereo.I wonder if that was some sort of formatting agreement that was instituted just in these past few years in order to comply with bluray or what?

As a side note; I purchased a cd/dvd of the Chemical Brothers (don't remember title, little black book type tough, and returned it) had prominent dts emblem on reverse-but was not in dts5.1! Nor dd 5.1.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting one: When I paid $60 for "New Favorite", the sticker was the ONLY indication that it was surround. When I saw the back of the case, and then the disc itself, I got sick to my stomach. Fortunately, the sticker was right!

IMG_0747.JPG

The back clearly says "Stereo"!
IMG_0746.JPG

The disc clearly says "Stereo"!
IMG_0748.JPG

Fortunately, my ears agree with the sticker.

Anyway two titles with no 5.1 indication:

LED ZEPPELIN-MOTHERSHIP cd/dvd (dts+dd 5.1)

ROD STEWART-UNPLUGGED AND SEATED (dd 5.1) has dd emblem on back of package but that could very well mean 2ch and often does.

Was the original Zep 2 dvd set box in Surround or just the Disc from the Mothership? If just the Mothership, is it any good?

Never mind got my answer and yes the Zep previous 2 dvd has do and dts 5.1 :banana:

Never mind got my answer and yes the Zep previous 2 dvd has do and dts 5.1 :banana:

I already had the ZEP DVD when I was considering purchase of the MOTHERSHIP CD/DVD.I remember being pissed off that this disc might be, or might not be 5.1!! After a couple of weeks of "hemmin and hawin" I bought it.
I was still disturbed that there was no 5.1 indicated though except on the dvd itself which has a prominent dts emblem.So of course it was just a shortened version of the original DVD in surround.Anyway this is a great disc I recommend it and don't miss the few live tracks that were edited out.
This is why this thread is so imperative to QQ members and all surround collectors! !

Two more not surround indicated:

LEONARD COHEN-LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 cd/dvd (DD 5.1)

LEONARD COHEN-LIVE IN LONDON july17,2008 dvd(DD 5.1)......not only does it lack 5.1 iD .....but it states on the dvd package it is DVD VIDEO/AUDIO????
DVD AUDIO it is not, just dvd but it is a very good live surround recording (kind of a close to front stage almost up on stage surround)
I do recommend this surround disc as it is much better than the average 5.1 live surround discs:banana:

Boy I would of thought there were more of these-guessing game dvds.There are so many cd's with attached or deluxe editions that have no mention of 5.1.Anyway chime in if you know.

thanks derek

May I also suggest that people posting here comment on how "worthy" the title is as a surround mix?

For instance:

1. John Hiatt - Master of Disaster - Rated 7.12 in the QQ polls (and I would give it a six)
2. Boz Scaggs - Dig - Rated 9.20 in the QQ polls (and I need to recheck this one!)

Poll ratings here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQHiRezPoll2004.htm

Dig is WORTHY...trust me...even though one song is screwed up(second song Sarah) with some strange noise..I gave it a 9 even with that bad song...I even thought about giving it a 10... but there is no indication on the outside that's it's a surround disc...just has enhanced cd and some computer mumbo jumbo...

A couple more I noticed in my collection:

The Flaming Lips-U.F.O.'s at the Zoo.......MVI DD 5.1(not too bad in surround..rate it about 7)

Bruce Springsteen-Live in Dublin.........cd/dvd DD 5.1...no indication on this version of surround.... (rate it at 6)

And one I don't have yet but know about:

Paul McCartney-Live in NEW YORK CITY cd/dvd...dts 5.1 on the HEAR (CONCORD-STARBUCKS) Label
-Does anyone know if two others on this label are surround? ( James Taylor live cd/dvd? and Paul Simon-live cd/dvd or dvd?)
no package indication. So I always wondered???

derek

Back