Devin Townsend Writing Symphony - in Surround Sound...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von kulper

500 Club - QQ All-Star
https://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-03-26/devin-townsend-is-writing-symphony

To highlight:

"Now Townsend tells Kaaos TV: “I’m writing a symphony, and I'm going to record it in Belgium in Surround Sound with a visual counterpart. It's going to have a lot of instruments that are not typical for orchestral stuff – a combination of everything."

I've always thought Townsend's music would work very well in surround, particularly the playfulness of his Ziltoid albums. Townsend's production style is extremely dense and layered. While some people are critical of his "wall of sound" production style, I think splitting it into five channels would open his music up significantly.

Anyway, thought I'd share this. I'm curious to see what comes of this (whatever this is).

Excellent ! I'm a big fan of Devin's work, and I can't wait to find out what his stuff may sound like in surround!
I kind of hope the surround mix won't just be of a live recording, but that the instruments will be consciously positioned across all channels for maximum effect... Either way I'm looking forward to hearing this!

Excellent ! I'm a big fan of Devin's work, and I can't wait to find out what his stuff may sound like in surround!
I kind of hope the surround mix won't just be of a live recording, but that the instruments will be consciously positioned across all channels for maximum effect... Either way I'm looking forward to hearing this!
This is great news indeed! I love Devin's solo work. Terria, Ki, and Ghost are all classic albums that would be amazing in surround. Devin's wall of sound production techniques could really benefit from the extra separation that 5.1 provides.

And since it's in Belgium I'm betting he'll do it in the Galaxy Studios in Mol and it'll be in Auro 3D since the studio owner is Wilfried Van Baelen who also is the driving force behind Auro 3D.

Nice!

Nothing new regarding DT's symphony; but, on an unrelated note, I just came across this, and it appears we're getting a blu-ray of a live Ziltoid performance:

https://www.facebook.com/dvntownsen...347786590552/1105481902810464/?type=3&theater

I'm not seeing any audio specs, but, if the previous live release, "Retinal Circus", is any indicator, I don't expect to see a 5.1 mix...

Did you or anyone else get this bluray,Ziltoid Live at RAH?

I got my first listen of DT-Z2 with one album of rock songs and second cd is continuation of Ziltoid(which to me comes across as what Wierd Al Yankovic would do if he did it in a Ayreon and Kings X with a wall of sound musical approach).
I used to see Devin Townsend's drummer Ryan VP at our local record store(gone now) at A/B Sound(15 years ago) here in Burnaby and remember one of the other employees told me Ryan plays for Devin T. and said they are popular in Europe.
Crazy that it took me so long to listen to them, now spent a few hours of past couple of days listening to Strapping Young Lad(very intense stuff) and some DTP albums(listening to Addicted) as I type good album.
I really like the interplay of vocals between Anneke van Giersbergen and Devin Townsend on some of these albums.

peter

Finally, some sort of update on this...

I'm currently at the DTP concert in Boise, waiting for it to start. I purchased a VIP pass which gave me an opportunity to talk with Devin and the crew, so I asked him about some possible surround releases. Now, he didn't indicate aNY kind of release window (which I don't think.any recording has even commenced on this, so we're still quite a ways out), but he did indicate that he's hoping for (I believe)blu-ray 7.1 release. He said his home protools rig was recently outfitted for surround mixing and production, and he's currently doing research and discussing with acquaintances about mixing for surround. And he mentioned he's hoping for all future releases to be in surround formats.

So... nothing absolute to offer from my discussion with him, but he seems to be extremely interested in surround. I'm thinking we could be seeing something from him within the next year or two (fingers crossed)...

Unfortunately, Transcendence was just barely released and didn't get the surround treatment. Unless he goes Riverside and does a re-release, I don't expect to see Transcendence in surround. He seems to be on a two year album cycle, so...

Anyway, just thought I'd pass the info along

Finally, some sort of update on this...

I'm currently at the DTP concert in Boise, waiting for it to start. I purchased a VIP pass which gave me an opportunity to talk with Devin and the crew, so I asked him about some possible surround releases. Now, he didn't indicate aNY kind of release window (which I don't think.any recording has even commenced on this, so we're still quite a ways out), but he did indicate that he's hoping for (I believe)blu-ray 7.1 release. He said his home protools rig was recently outfitted for surround mixing and production, and he's currently doing research and discussing with acquaintances about mixing for surround. And he mentioned he's hoping for all future releases to be in surround formats.

So... nothing absolute to offer from my discussion with him, but he seems to be extremely interested in surround. I'm thinking we could be seeing something from him within the next year or two (fingers crossed)...

Unfortunately, Transcendence was just barely released and didn't get the surround treatment. Unless he goes Riverside and does a re-release, I don't expect to see Transcendence in surround. He seems to be on a two year album cycle, so...

Anyway, just thought I'd pass the info along

Thanks for sharing this information, this is awesome news.
I was hoping to see DTP in concert last night but have been sick past few days so couldn't make it out.

peter

Back