Discussion with Thomas Mowrey

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if Brothers & Sisters was remixed in quad but I can try to find out. I was one of a couple engineers on the original tracking sessions for it but not for the mix sessions. I'll let you know if my contacts from back then know of a quad mix.

I discovered the QQ forum when searching for a quad reel-to-reel copy of Eat a Peach last year. I'd really like to hear it again before I leave this planet...did find the quad LP version but haven't yet set up a turntable for quad playback though the necessary pieces to do so are in hand - seems time is growing ever more scarce as the years roll by.
Thanks for replying. Perhaps you can solve a burning question here.

EAT A PEACH SA-CD is a remix as well.

That being said I to am a fan of the quad mix and perhaps one day soon AF or maybe AP will reissue the quad mix.

Yes, both Peach and Fillmore on SACD were remixes, not the original quads. I believe both SACDs were mixed by Jeff Glixman in the early-to-mid 2000s. I have not heard either one and therefor cannot comment on them. I'm trying to find out who did the Fillmore quad mixes but haven't had any luck yet - found the mastering engineer, Darrell Johnson, but he thought I had mixed Fillmore, which I didn't.

Thanks for replying. Perhaps you can solve a burning question here.

One of my old friends, also a recording engineer in those days, responded but didn't know of a quad mix of Brothers & Sisters. Still waiting to hear from the other friend, and as he was the producer I suspect he would know for certain. But I haven't been in touch with him for many years now so not sure if I have the right contact info.

Yes, both Peach and Fillmore on SACD were remixes, not the original quads. I believe both SACDs were mixed by Jeff Glixman in the early-to-mid 2000s. I have not heard either one and therefor cannot comment on them. I'm trying to find out who did the Fillmore quad mixes but haven't had any luck yet - found the mastering engineer, Darrell Johnson, but he thought I had mixed Fillmore, which I didn't.

I used to have the quad disc of Fillmore East and it clearly stated who mixed it in quad, a chap with a strange sounding name as I remember.
Anyway, someone on the QQ site may chime in with this info, surely a few members still have copies of the quad cd-4 disc and the info is contained inside the gatefold sleeve liner notes. (Strange that I sold my copy but kept Eat A Peach, oh because I love the artwork)

It says:

Quadraphonic remix by O. V. Sparks
Quadraphonic mastering by Darrell Johnson at JVC Mastering Center

Wow, that's very strange! I'm "O. V. Sparks" but I did NOT remix Fillmore in quad! (At least not on purpose - see below) And the credit is spelled incorrectly - my first name is "Ovie", but I've seen it transposed to "O. V." many times in my life so that's not too surprising.

The only thing I can imagine is that my quad mixes of the live tracks on Peach, which came from the same "Live at Fillmore East" remote recording sessions, may have been reused on the quad version of Fillmore. Not sure because I've never heard, or seen, the quad LP release of Fillmore.

And, since my memory of those days is a bit foggy now, I may have mixed more live tracks from the Fillmore sessions than I remember. That's possible as the live quad mixes were fairly easy to do compared to the studio tracks and since the multi-track tape was already loaded - well, who knows?

Last, Darrell Johnson thinks I did the mixes too, so maybe I did some of them but I'm certain I didn't go to the JVC mastering center in LA to master Fillmore like I did for Peach.

Welcome Ovie Sparks.

It's weird indeed that they gave you credit on the FILLMORE EAST QUAD and you state you did not mix this quad album, but did mix the EAT A PEACH LIVE QUAD tracks, and again no credit was given to you for your mix.......someone must have been smoking too much herb that day, whoever was in charge of the liner note credits I would bet.

While were still on the Allman Bros, is there any other quad mixes you were involved with? (Sorry Thomas, but I have a quad curious disposition)

Thankyou, derek

Derek,

Yes, the credits thing is strange indeed. I was sure there was remix credit on the quad Peach release until I recently purchased a copy and saw that I wasn't mentioned. The more odd thing is that I did get remix credit on the stereo CD release of Peach, and so did my assistant, Debra. My guess is that the CD was a down-mixed version of the quad mixes so that's why the credits appeared there.

Kinda sounds like a remastered, and unfortunately, re-EQ'd, version of the quad mixes to me. Sadly it sounds like the mastering engineer thought the vocals were undermixed so he EQ'd that region of the spectrum up to compensate. The vocals were slightly undermixed but that was intentional as the ABB was known primarily a jam band and for the great guitar work of Duane & Dickey. The vocals, while soulful, weren't always right on key or as powerful as the music.

I've had the CD for a long time, with mixing credit, so I assumed the credits were there on the quad release too, but not so. Oh well, my online discography contains projects I don't think I worked on at all and then there are some that I worked my a** off on don't show up at all. Such is life...

And, no, to your last question - these would definitely have been the only two quad albums I would have been involved with. Wish it had been more because it was really a lot of fun to mix in quad! I may have mentioned that we had a Tom Hidley designed & purpose built quad control room with superb gear, some of the best available at the time. It was a privilege to get the opportunity to work in that environment.

Best,

Last edited:
Thanks for that reply Ovie, always great to hear from a surround maestro.

FWIW , I love your quad mix on "PEACH" and I'm pretty certain I am not alone here.

I guess we will have to keep our fingers crossed, and perhaps Audio Fidelity or Analogue Productions can resurrect the two known quad releases by the Allman Bros.and perhaps with the right perseverance, even find some "unreleased quad" (such as BROTHERS AND SISTERS).

I know that the FILLMORE EAST SESSIONS recently released on blu-ray is a large disappointment to those that purchased it expecting to hear surround equal to or better than the QUAD.
This is a testament to your quad mixing in my opinion, good job!

thanks, derek

Hello Ovie, You are right about not mastering Fillmore with me. I recently dug out my old day books from the JVC era and it was Tom Dowd who worked on the Fillmore mastering sessions with me. He also worked with me on two Clapton Quad LP's. I do recall you being at JVC for the Eat A Peach Quad mastering. Thanks for spurring me to dig out the old date books and take a look. It brought back lots of great memories of the years I spent cutting CD-4 at JVC. Regards, Darrell

Hi again Darrell, Thanks for validating that at least a small portion of my memory is still intact! Tom Dowd produced several Capricorn albums but I only had the privilege of working with him on two Wet Willie LPs - the first one, "Keep On Smilin", was their most popular release and fun to do. Tom was great to work with and allowed me to experiment with some unusual mic techniques, one of which was to use an AKG C24 stereo mic in MS mode as the drum overhead combined with just one snare and one kick mic. We also used an old wooden stairwell to the upstairs as a harmonica & tambourine recording location due to its unique natural reverb. Bringing back old, and good, memories indeed - thanks Darrell!

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone's aware yet but it would seem that DG/Universal is now releasing QUAD blurays from the 70's.

Was on hraudio.net and apart from the BSO Quad bluray that was released earlier this year , DG 's Carmen is also being issued .
It would seem this is apart from Pentatones SACD efforts btw .

Looks like UMG is finally releasing quad again , perhaps this will expand to include popular titles from their vast catalogue .

Don't know if anyone's aware yet but it would seem that DG/Universal is now releasing QUAD blurays from the 70's.

Was on hraudio.net and apart from the BSO Quad bluray that was released earlier this year , DG 's Carmen is also being issued .
It would seem this is apart from Pentatones SACD efforts btw .

Looks like UMG is finally releasing quad again , perhaps this will expand to include popular titles from their vast catalogue .
Yup, there's been a few by now! You can see them all here: HRAudio.net - Music

Was just reviewing this thread today and WHAT A GREAT INFO THREAD IT IS !! :)

Featuring not only the aclaimed Thomas Mowery (quad historian/producer DGG Records) ...

..but also posts from O V Sparks (quad mixer Allman Brothers),

and Darrell Johnson (JVC Cutting Center).

:giggle:

Reviving this thread with much quad information and hoping Thomas Mowery is available to post here again.

Back