Listening to Now In DSD Downloads - Multichannel, Stereo or Mono

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point. I'm a numbers guy by trade.....and sometimes numbers just don't tell the whole story. They are a good starting point typically.

I don't find the "DR" numbers particularly helpful in telling me how an album will sound.

I admit, I want to try the Santana...but concerned it sounds too thin...seems I have an older DTS Audio of Santana and I always felt it sounded way too thin and metallic. Have you heard DSD of that??

Speaking of DSD Downloads from Super HiRez, if you're an Elvis fan than "Stereo '57" is a must buy. A direct Analog Master Tape to DSD transfer, it was the first DSD Download demonstrated when Super HiRez was announced back in October 2013. Elvis and his backing singers vocals on "Peace in the Valley" are as clear and clean as anything you've ever heard. Wow!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...s_Volume_2-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

I'm glad you told me that...I've been wanting one of the Elvis DSD's.

Speaking of DSD Downloads from Super HiRez, if you're an Elvis fan than "Stereo '57" is a must buy. A direct Analog Master Tape to DSD transfer, it was the first DSD Download demonstrated when Super HiRez was announced back in October 2013. Elvis and his backing singers vocals on "Peace in the Valley" are as clear and clean as anything you've ever heard. Wow!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...s_Volume_2-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

I'm glad you told me that...I've been wanting one of the Elvis DSD's.

Of the Elvis DSD Downloads, Stereo '57 is the one to get. The others are PCM to DSD transfers and don't offer the same clarity and impact that Stereo '57 provides.
For an Elvis fan, I'd say it's an essential one to get.

But Brian - in this case (other than price considerations) seems I might as well get the SACD...just to have a physical copy. No difference, right?

Of the Elvis DSD Downloads, Stereo '57 is the one to get. The others are PCM to DSD transfers and don't offer the same clarity and impact that Stereo '57 provides.
For an Elvis fan, I'd say it's an essential one to get.

But Brian - in this case (other than price considerations) seems I might as well get the SACD...just to have a physical copy. No difference, right?

That's a choice in this case - SACD or download. As to whether there is a sonic difference, often there is in favor of the download.
What I would suggest is to take a favorite album, like this one perhaps, and pick up both versions and see if you hear a difference on your system.

With this release, where you have an Analog Master Tape to DSD transfer, if there is going to be a sonic plus on the download, you would hear it.
To me, Stereo '57 is a must have Stereo DSD Download. For the other Elvis albums, the difference between DSD Download and SACD are not likely to be as large.

Based on the recommendations here I opted for Elvis Stereo '57 as my first DSD download and it's a stunner. As GOS pointed out beyond the exceptional audio quality it's a terrific 'fly-on-the-wall' glimpse of a relaxed and playful Elvis exploring material and arrangements in the studio. It's an intimate, dry and unadorned sound with all the elements close mic'd apart from the drums which appear to be captured additionally with a room mic (or it could be bleed into Elvis's mic but it sounds too consistent for that).

An aside to Brian - I went with a trial version of Audirvana Plus. I'm not crazy about having to load files through the library but otherwise it's very impressive. I love that it automatically detects and changes sample rate. Also interesting to see that the Elvis files stretch my DAC to 32/176.4. Mercy.

Based on the recommendations here I opted for Elvis Stereo '57 as my first DSD download and it's a stunner. As GOS pointed out beyond the exceptional audio quality it's a terrific 'fly-on-the-wall' glimpse of a relaxed and playful Elvis exploring material and arrangements in the studio. It's an intimate, dry and unadorned sound with all the elements close mic'd apart from the drums which appear to be captured additionally with a room mic (or it could be bleed into Elvis's mic but it sounds too consistent for that).

An aside to Brian - I went with a trial version of Audirvana Plus. I'm not crazy about having to load files through the library but otherwise it's very impressive. I love that it automatically detects and changes sample rate. Also interesting to see that the Elvis files stretch my DAC to 32/176.4. Mercy.

Yes, Elvis' Stereo 57 is easily one of the best Stereo DSD Downloads out there. A direct Analog Stereo Tape to DSD transfer.

To get started, don't forget the Free DSD Downloads from Native DSD (1 track from Jazz at the Pawnshop and a bunch of Multichannel & Stereo DSD tracks in their "Just Listen" section), Oppo (David Elias in Stereo & Multichannel DSD) and DSD File (an Eric Bibb track in Stereo DSD).

On the Mac player software, some of the others also offer trials. So you may want to check out JRiver Media Center for Mac and some of the other contenders.
Speaking of Bit Perfect, the LH Labs folks make a new version of that for the Mac called "Geek Perfect".
See the full DSD music player software list on the DSD Database at http://www.dsd.sonore.us

On the Mac player software, some of the others also offer trials. So you may want to check out JRiver Media Center for Mac and some of the other contenders.
Speaking of Bit Perfect, the LH Labs folks make a new version of that for the Mac called "Geek Perfect".
See the full DSD music player software list on the DSD Database at http://www.dsd.sonore.us

Thanks, yes, I noticed some of the other trials and plan to check out a few other players before making a purchase. Additional thanks for your several DSD download threads. I will return to those soon to gather more info - particularly for the jazz titles.

Thanks, yes, I noticed some of the other trials and plan to check out a few other players before making a purchase. Additional thanks for your several DSD download threads. I will return to those soon to gather more info - particularly for the jazz titles.

Lots of excellent Jazz titles available as DSD Downloads. Especially those sourced from Analog and DSD recordings. Some highlights:
  • In Summer - Paulien van Schaik (Amazing Female Vocals) - Native DSD
  • Jazz at the Pawnshop - Several Sites
  • Take One - Piltch & Davis - Several Sites
  • Native Jazz Recordings (Fone Jazz Sampler for $7) - Native DSD
  • Love Letters - Yamina (EP for $6) - DSD File
  • Alhambra - Ahmad Jamal - Super Hi Rez
  • Soul Samba Bossa Nova - Ike Quebec - Super Hi Rez
  • Kansas City 7 - Count Basie - Super Hi Rez
  • Blues Walk - Lou Donaldson - Super Hi Rez
  • Hope - Hugh Masakela - Super Hi Rez
  • Live in Stockholm - Kustbandet – DSD File
  • Jacintha Is Her Name - Jacintha - Super Hi Rez
  • Time Out - Dave Brubeck - Super Hi Rez
  • The Doctor - Doc Powell - Native DSD
  • Live at Alcatraz - Fausto Mesolella - Native DSD
  • Midnight Blue - Kenny Burrell - Super Hi Rez

Great list. I already have a few of those titles from HDTracks (and am pleased with the SQ) but will definitely check out some others from the list. Thank you sir!

Back