What's the Latest DSD Download in Your Collection - Multichannel, Stereo or Mono?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Could we place the DSD Downloads into a thread of their own? Would rather not see those intermixed with SACDs. So far, nobody has posted a DSD download here so now's a good time to make the change.

Cello Bouquet is a Live Stereo Recording made on a Korg MR-2000 at Double Rate, Direct Stream Digital (DSD 128).

It features a Cello quintet led by cellist Mizoguchi Hajime and a Harpist. They play 12 songs that range from original compositions, classical, folk and rock music including a medley of rock classics including Purple Haze. The album is available via Amazon in CD form starting at $42 and in download form in both single and double rate Stereo DSD as well as other formats for up to $39 via e-Onkyo Music's web site in Japan.

Cello Bouquet - 300w.jpg
Cello Bouquet - Mizoguchi Hajime (e-Onkyo Music, Stereo DSD128 Download, Grace Music GRML-001)
http://www.e-onkyo.com/music/album/grml001/

A couple minutes ago, I watched Yusuf (Cat Stevens) on my DVR doing First Cut and Wild World on last night's Tonight Show. Would you rather listen to a low-fi Q8 with a crappy mix of Tea for the Tillerman, or a 1/2 speed LP, Gold CD or even the 2 ch SACD, which leaves a bit to be desired? I've owned them all and they blow the Q8 out of the water, especially the 1/2 speed LP.

In some cases you want both.

The older Q8 or Quad disc version from the 1970's to get the Surround Sound mix. Often you have to trade off sound quality and fidelity to get the Surround mix.
Or you can run a Stereo CD version of the album through a synthesizer like the Surround Master for Surround Sound.

Then you can switch to a newly remastered edition for the sonics and sound quality. On Tea for the Tillerman, I have that one as a Stereo DSD Download from Analogue Productions.
It's very good - much better than the '70s editions when it comes to sound quality. As a reviewer on that site (Bob Alps) says:

The sound is amazing. I have over 200 SACD's of varying quality. I also have several Blue-ray audio discs. This is my first DSD download. I have it on a flash drive and plug it into my Oppo CD/SACD/Blu-ray player. The sound is as good as any SACD I have. It is really thrilling to feel this close to the music. Highly recommended.

Bottom line - it's good to have choices! :)

Tea for the Tillerman.jpg
Tea for the Tillerman - Cat Stevens
(Analogue Productions, Stereo DSD Download, XAPP9135D64)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/95250/Cat_Stevens-Tea_For_The_Tillerman-DSD_Download

Then you can switch to a newly remastered edition for the sonics and sound quality. On Tea for the Tillerman, I have that one as a Stereo DSD Download from Analogue Productions.
Why did you choose the download over the SACD? I have the SACD. Linda has it too.

Today: J Geils Band Freeze Frame DSD download for a whopping $25 but worth it for this. Just my luck this will come out on SHM SACD in a couple of mos. but this sounds a billion times better than the old Japan CD that I have.

I was tempted by a DSD Billy Squier title, but resisted ... not spending $50 today.

Today: J Geils Band Freeze Frame DSD download for a whopping $25 but worth it for this. Just my luck this will come out on SHM SACD in a couple of mos. but this sounds a billion times better than the old Japan CD that I have.

I was tempted by a DSD Billy Squier title, but resisted ... not spending $50 today.

The J. Geils Band DSD Download is very good! Also downloaded the Stray Cats as a DSD Download. Not in the same league as Freeze Frame but still fun.

Has anyone here been extracting dsf files from their SACDs? I would like to do this since most of my SACDs are out of print which is a bit worrisome if something were to happen to them. I could use a backup.

Has anyone here been extracting dsf files from their SACDs? I would like to do this since most of my SACDs are out of print which is a bit worrisome if something were to happen to them. I could use a backup.

Best bet is to contact Ted_B on that. He is the guru for making backup copies of your SACDs. (See his earlier threads on the Multichannel SACD forum re: Mytek and exaSound Multichannel DSD playback).

A priority would be to back up the ones that are rare and may not appear as DSD Downloads as you note.

It's also important to note that backups can vary in quality and in my experience don't match the sound quality of DSD Download files from the edit masters as you would find on NativeDSD and Super HiRez.

Another winner from Capitol Records and their DSD Download series.....

View attachment 14516
The Extraordinary Nat King Cole - Deluxe Edition with 36 Tracks (DSD Deluxe Edition Download, Capitol Records XUNI49154D64)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/98012/Nat_King_Cole-The_Extraordinary-DSD

Based on your recommendation, I will get the BDA of "The Extraordinary Nat King Cole" when it comes out and see how it sounds.. it might just be from the same source as the DSD D/L :)

Based on your recommendation, I will get the BDA of "The Extraordinary Nat King Cole" when it comes out and see how it sounds.. it might just be from the same source as the DSD D/L :)

I suspect the BD Audio disc audio will be derived from the FLAC downloads vs. the DSD Downloads which are also now available over at Super HiRez! :)

Latest DSD download: CCR Mardi Gras (today)

Hadn't noticed Sweet Hitch-Hiker has some stereo content. Not much but some.

Door To Door sounds like mono. Everything else is full stereo.

Latest DSD download: CCR Mardi Gras (today)

Hadn't noticed Sweet Hitch-Hiker has some stereo content. Not much but some.

Door To Door sounds like mono. Everything else is full stereo.

The songs on the Creedence albums do vary quite a bit from Mono and Almost Mono to some pretty wide Stereo. Not sure what the recording philosophy was during those sessions.
On their self-titled album (Creedence Clearwater Revival), "Suzy Q" and "I Put a Spell On You" in particular, are quite a treat on SACD and as a DSD Download with some definite Stereo separation. :)

Tony Award Winning Actor and Singer Hinton Battle teams up with the Count Basie Orchestra for a 4 song EP on the Eighty-Eights label in Japan that is selling for $15. The EP includes Take The A Train, Sophisticated Lady, It Don't Mean a Thing and Christmas Song. Recorded direct to DSD, some fine performances and sonics on this one.

EECD-5001 - Hinton Battle - 350w.jpg
Hinton Battle - Meets the Count Basie Orchestra (Eighty-Eights EP, Stereo DSD Download EECD-5501)
http://www.e-onkyo.com/music/album/eecd5001/

Some jazzy movie themes by Composer Lalo Schifrin on this Stereo DSD Download from the CTI catalog on e-Onkyo Music in Japan.
The playing also has a bit of a disco feel. Definitely a recording from that era! :)

Lalo Schifrin - Towering Toccata - cover.jpg
Towering Toccata - Lalo Schifrin (Stereo DSD Download, CTI Records KICJ-2336)
http://www.e-onkyo.com/music/album/kicj2336/

I know downloads are not the same as physical media but... HDTracks (and other locations) have "Every Picture Tells A Story" for less money and in PCM (as opposed to DSD). Just an option as the download sounds very good.

I don't do downloads..I like physical media..I wouldn't get any enjoyment at staring at the outside shell of an external hard drive:cool:

I don't do downloads..I like physical media..I wouldn't get any enjoyment at staring at the outside shell of an external hard drive:cool:

It depends on how your audio system is setup. With mine, I'm looking at the same amp and signal controller for physical discs and downloads. Although the JRiver software for downloads and the color LCDs on music servers are more colorful and fun to look at than a black Oppo disc player. :)

Back