What's the Latest DSD Download in Your Collection - Multichannel, Stereo or Mono?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man - it's like a damn virus....

Just downloaded ELVIS - Stereo 57 Essential Elvis (DSD Single Rate)

XAPP057D64__94709__10222013011700-6275.jpg

What's your verdict on Elvis in Stereo DSD? Peace In The Valley?

What's your verdict on Elvis in Stereo DSD? Peace In The Valley?

I Like it - if has that demo feeling with all the chatter at the starts of those songs. But yeah - the way they have Elvis voice positioned is pretty striking. Listened to it 3 times already. I may pick up another elvis......is the other 24 hit disc good as well? Can't recall the name....

Another comment on the Elvis....the sound of his voice is SO real....that I feel like he sounds different than I thought he did. Not sure how to explain it...hearing nuances of his voice that I've never heard. I guess I would say that listening to this DSD makes him seem....real. Human....almost like I had snuck into the back of a recording studio and was listening/watching....

I Like it - if has that demo feeling with all the chatter at the starts of those songs. But yeah - the way they have Elvis voice positioned is pretty striking. Listened to it 3 times already. I may pick up another elvis......is the other 24 hit disc good as well? Can't recall the name....

Another comment on the Elvis....the sound of his voice is SO real....that I feel like he sounds different than I thought he did. Not sure how to explain it...hearing nuances of his voice that I've never heard. I guess I would say that listening to this DSD makes him seem....real. Human....almost like I had snuck into the back of a recording studio and was listening/watching....

My worst fears...Danny Download is becoming addicted...whoa is me...:yikes

Well, I don't want to become addicted...because honestly.....I will go broke a lot quicker. I had to fight off the urge to buy another last night...it's TOO easy...and instant gratification. Ugh....

Well, I don't want to become addicted...because honestly.....I will go broke a lot quicker. I had to fight off the urge to buy another last night...it's TOO easy...and instant gratification. Ugh....

I know it is...it's a cash cow for the companies involved..cuts out several layers of the business model since they don't have to involve disc production and distribution...if enough people get "hooked" it means less money devoted to disc production...evil cycle it is ...that's why I don't buy those blu ray/SD discs...once these companies find out they can get by with quasi-blu rays they will do it more often...they are in business to make money and that's a way to maximize profits...just saying...

I know it is...it's a cash cow for the companies involved..cuts out several layers of the business model since they don't have to involve disc production and distribution...if enough people get "hooked" it means less money devoted to disc production...evil cycle it is ...that's why I don't buy those blu ray/SD discs...once these companies find out they can get by with quasi-blu rays they will do it more often...they are in business to make money and that's a way to maximize profits...just saying...

Additionally - and I know us "old school" guys have the same feelings. There is NOTHING better than holding the physical media. Also, the simple paranoia that my files could become corrupt, lost...accidentally deleted...blah, blah. Believe me...that is all on my mind.

Yes, it's an amazing release. Shows what is possible when you do a direct Analog Master Tape to DSD transfer.
The other 2 Elvis titles on Super HiRez are good, but not anywhere near Stereo '57 sonically.

There are other costs in selling downloads - including setting up the eCommerce web site, the monthly bill to host the files, file prep, etc. It's a little early to see record labels "maximizing profits" via downloads.
Over time, as the start up and prep costs are amortized, we will have a better idea how this model pencils out vs. physical media and licensing. Right now, licensing is said to be the most lucrative from what I hear.

Also, the simple paranoia that my files could become corrupt, lost...accidentally deleted...blah, blah. Believe me...that is all on my mind.

That may influence where you buy your downloads. Over at Native DSD, they offer Free Cloud Backup of all DSD Downloads you buy from them. If they are corrupted, lost, etc. Native DSD will replace them at no charge.
I suspect we will see other download sites offer a similar deal in the future.

And there is the dropping cost of cloud storage. If you have a Microsoft Office 365 account, it comes with Unlimited Cloud Storage. So you will have all the space needed to back up to the cloud.
Interesting times ahead....

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/micr...r-individuals-how-does-it-compare-to-onedrive

There are other costs in selling downloads - including setting up the eCommerce web site, the monthly bill to host the files, file prep, etc. It's a little early to see record labels "maximizing profits" via downloads.
Over time, as the start up and prep costs are amortized, we will have a better idea how this model pencils out vs. physical media and licensing. Right now, licensing is said to be the most lucrative from what I hear.

Any "start up" will have initial costs...but it would be hard to believe that those associated costs would be more than those involved with physical media costs... I agree that it is early in the download process to envision "maximizing profits"....but all they need is more volume...

Any "start up" will have initial costs...but it would be hard to believe that those associated costs would be more than those involved with physical media costs... I agree that it is early in the download process to envision "maximizing profits"....but all they need is more volume...

Here's a good run-down of the costs from "Tailspn" (aka Tom Caulfield, veteran mastering and recording engineer) who works with Native DSD:

"I can only comment on the cost structure for sites selling downloads ranging from 2.5GB to 8GB per download. While storage costs are a factor, especially when a stores catalog hovers around 60-100 Terabytes or more, the real expense are the actual download charges. If a download store's storage charges are a few thousand dollars a month, their download charges are 3-5 times that. Nice problem to have of course.

Labels that provide their content for a download site of course expect a return. It's a consignment business, and it averages 60% of the gross selling price to the label. That leaves 40% to the site owner for file preparation (figure 2 hours average per download title), site promotion (newsletters etc), and amortization of the expense to construct the site ($60,000 to $100,000). Add to that the time to enlist labels to sell their content on your site, maintain that relationship etc., and you'll see for boutique specialized content sites, this is not a high return business."

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ng/digital-download-pricing-23852/#post410689

Listening to the Elvis 57 again this morning. I have to admit, this is a slice of history....you get to hear Elvis and his band chatter at start of songs....and sometimes, break down laughing towards end of songs. Amazing! So, not only does the recording sound great - you get to see a side of Elvis NEVER seen or heard before. At least I haven't. That additional piece is well worth the price right there. I think I'm gonna double dip. Going to order the SACD as well. I'm smitten...

Listening to the Elvis 57 again this morning. I have to admit, this is a slice of history....you get to hear Elvis and his band chatter at start of songs....and sometimes, break down laughing towards end of songs. Amazing! So, not only does the recording sound great - you get to see a side of Elvis NEVER seen or heard before. At least I haven't. That additional piece is well worth the price right there. I think I'm gonna double dip. Going to order the SACD as well. I'm smitten...

The irony is that these Stereo tapes were almost thrown away after the session. If it hadn't been for the assistant engineer, Dayton Howe, now more famously known as Producer/Engineer Bones Howe (5th Dimension, Johnny Rivers, Mamas & Papas, The Association, The Monkees, etc.) , who asked for the tapes and saved them in his home vault for later release. Amazing....

This thread is intended to highlight the latest DSD Download - Multichannel, Stereo or Mono - that has been added to your collection.
Let's see what's been arriving at QQ members homes lately in these categories.

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out. An easy choice for me since I never upgraded beyond the first CD issue. Remarkable warmth and clarity.

XAPJ8192D64__94706__10222013011327-3421.jpg

I've been wondering about that DSD as well. So, you like the sound huh? I assumed it sounded amazing...knowing the style of music.

Yeah, particularly considering it was recorded in 1959. The quality of those recordings made in Columbia's 30th Street Studio amazes me. Kind of Blue and Mingus Ah Um (both also from '59) come to mind.

There's a big advantage to buying the SACD version of Time Out. It includes multi-channel. And it's only an extra $5.

There's a big advantage to buying the SACD version of Time Out. It includes multi-channel. And it's only an extra $5.

True and I've heard it sounds nice. It's essentially 3-channel with ambient rears, yes? Will probably pick it up eventually but currently I'm more interested in exploring some of the better rated DSD downloads.

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out. An easy choice for me since I never upgraded beyond the first CD issue. Remarkable warmth and clarity.

View attachment 17960

Yes, that's an excellent one. It is taken from the Analogue Productions edition of Time Out, not the earlier Sony Music release. From the Analog Master Tapes to Stereo DSD, mastered by Bernie Grundman.
Hard to go wrong there!

Back