Greatest Quadraphonic Mixes (And 5.1 too!) (Songs only)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I'm sharing all my "best of" lists this morning...

1. Pink Floyd- Money
2. Doors- Riders On The Storm
3. David Essex- Rock On
4. Aerosmith- Back In The Saddle
5. Blue Oyster Cult- Dominance & Submission
6. Chicago- Beginnings
7. Doobie Brothers- Black Water
8. Eagles- One Of These Nights
9. Temptations- Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
10. Edgar Winter Group- Frankenstein

And since I can never pick 10, honorable mentions:
Billy Joel- Ballad Of Billy The Kid
Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills- Stop
Bread- Mother Freedom
Guess Who- No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature
Chase- Open Up Wide

Is there anywhere online where you can buy the quadraphonic version of a song? What do you look for? Where do you buy them? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place. The answer to your question is a bit complicated however.

Unfortunately you can't buy just one loose song in quad- rather you must buy the entire album. Quad albums were released throughout the 1970s and as such most are only available in the formats of that time- vinyl and either 8-track or reel-to-reel tape. You're gonna need special equipment to play them back.

However, with the advent of new surround optical disc formats today (DVD-Audio, SACD, Blu-ray)- many old quad albums have been reissued in said digital formats and can be purchased.

I'd start with eBay if you're looking for quad stuff. Can I ask what songs specifically are you looking for?

Last edited:
Wow, this thread is 15 years old. Pretty wild to see those early post by QQ'ers who are no longer with us.

Still, the info is totally spot on even today. There should be more good songs to add from the last 15 years, so let's add in 5.1, as it was just beginning when this thread was started.

Wow, this thread is 15 years old. Pretty wild to see those early post by QQ'ers who are no longer with us.

Still, the info is totally spot on even today. There should be more good songs to add from the last 15 years, so let's add in 5.1, as it was just beginning when this thread was started.

I have a "time machine" question for you Jon....have you always had the same avatar?... I would be remiss if I didn't ask a follow up question...is there any significance to the avatar?

Last edited:

Cool idea! I'll throw in a few modern favorites:
  • Elton John - "Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy", "Rocket Man", "Candle In The Wind", "Tiny Dancer"
  • Eagles - "Hotel California"
  • Eric Clapton - "Please Be With Me" (Scheiner's version)
  • Derek & The Dominos - "Bell Bottom Blues", "Layla" (again, Scheiner's versions)
  • America - "Ventura Highway"
  • Jethro Tull - "Velvet Green", "Locomotive Breath"
  • XTC - "Books Are Burning", "Across This Antheap", "Summer's Cauldron/Grass"
  • R.E.M. - "Losing My Religion" (Out Of Time mix)
  • Porcupine Tree - "Drown With Me", "Mellotron Scratch", "Piano Lessons", "Shesmovedon"
  • Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody"
  • Roxy Music- "Take A Chance With Me"
  • Steely Dan- "Babylon Sisters", "Time Out Of Mind", "Everything Must Go"
  • Donald Fagen- "Tomorrow's Girls", "New Frontier", "Brite Nightgown"
  • Doors- "L.A. Woman", "Land Ho!"
  • Talking Heads- "Burning Down The House" (extended/alternate version)
The Columbia quads are my favorite surround mixes ever, but there's definitely some great 5.1 work out there too.

I have a "time machine" question for you Jon....have you always had the same avatar?... I would be remiss if I didn't ask a follow up question...is there any significance to the avatar?

No, I think I had "oblio" avatars, and a few others. This current avatar came from a Corel Draw Christmas graphics kit, which is where the wreath and Christmas decorations that are on the QQ Christmas Logo (When I remember to pop it up in December). The head was the Scrooge character that went with the Christmas stuff, so I was feeling very "Bah Humbug" about everything, especially with SACD and DVD-A tanking in the marketplace, so I grafted Scrooge's head on a guitar player graphic and there you go!

That's me! :)

No, I think I had "oblio" avatars, and a few others. This current avatar came from a Corel Draw Christmas graphics kit, which is where the wreath and Christmas decorations that are on the QQ Christmas Logo (When I remember to pop it up in December). The head was the Scrooge character that went with the Christmas stuff, so I was feeling very "Bah Humbug" about everything, especially with SACD and DVD-A tanking in the marketplace, so I grafted Scrooge's head on a guitar player graphic and there you go!

That's me! :)

I didn't want to say anything but I thought it was SCROOGE. Yeah, Jon, we ALL get in those bah humbug moods. Especially around the holidays when everything is supposed to be [in Bowie's words] HUNKY DORY! Well, this year we do have a LOT to celebrate. SACD/DVD~A might've tanked in the early 00's but you can rest assured that it's through your AUSPICES and HARD WORK and PERSEVERANCE that QQ IS one of the best music sites on the world wide net today.

MAKE SURROUND GREAT AGAIN.

il_340x270.1229394017_9voz.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't want to say anything but I thought it was SCROOGE. Yeah, Jon, we ALL get in those bah humbug moods. Especially around the holidays when everything is supposed to be [in Bowie's words] HUNKY DORY! Well, this year we do have a LOT to celebrate. SACD/DVD~A might've tanked in the early 00's but you can rest assured that it's through your AUSPICES and HARD WORK and PERSEVERANCE that QQ IS one of the best music sites on the world wide net today.

MAKE SURROUND GREAT AGAIN.

il_340x270.1229394017_9voz.jpg

Where can I buy that hat?! Looks really cool! :cool:

Last edited:
A wee bit vermoosed (new word!) to check but I do love a top ten! Will come back in the morrow... There is also this thread and some of these mixes will blow your mind! o_O Quadraphonic sound is the best thing since sliced bread!

Ooops that was the old quad thread! Now I get it!... Going a bit David Lynch...

Black Water - Doobie Brothers
Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group
Sagebrush Serenade - Poco
Money - Pink Floyd
For The Love Of Money - Ojays

Oh man just a starter - this stuff is too good!

Was literally looking at this thread yesterday...

These are some more great quad songs...

Black Magic Woman - Santana
Dominance and Submission - Blue Oyster Cult
Beginnings/25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago (The whole of Quadio really!)
Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan
Rats - Aerosmith
Mars - Isao Tomita
Hang 'Em High/I Feel The Earth Move - Hugo Montenegro
ABC - Jackson 5
Rock Steady - Aretha Franklin
Let The Sky Fall - Ten Years After

Last edited:
Back