Quad LP/Tape Poll Hayward, Justin/John Lodge - Bluejays [Q8/Q4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "BLUEJAYS"

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5: So-so

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
please post your thoughts and comments on this 1975 quadraphonic release from two members of the Moody Blues. (n):phones(y)

bluejays500.jpg

One of my favorite reels. Separation is not as discrete as the other Moodies but the music is fantastic. A fairly long tape also as the tape spools right to the end of the reel. Never did get to hear the Ampex version though so can't make a comparison. Also this must have been one of the last tapes from Reel Society because the title is just printed on the reel label, possibly using a typewriter. (remember those). Great fidelity all around. A 10.

Here's the Ampex version. It's non-dolby. Magtec/Stereotape didn't know Ampex had even put this one out. They were a bit surprised to find out and say they wouldn't have made it if they'd had known. The tape was made for London Records, and says Ampex nowhere on it.

bluejays_front.jpg

bluejays_reel.jpg

Thanks for the scans, Frank. I did not have those in the library! :D

How come this release hasn't made it onto Mark's Discography? Would seem to be a major omission. This was never released in any other quad format, just R-2-R correct? John S.

Q8s also! Listed under Hayward/Lodge

I paid $70 for my Dolby Q4 on Ebay a while back...I loved the the record and was fortunate to get the quad reel. Great sounding tape. Some of the best stuff the Moodies ever recorded (Sounds like the Moody Blues to me from start to finish). A strong 9.

If you didn't tell a Moody fan who wasn't aware of it, they'd swear it was the 'Lost Moody Blues Album,' the one that was left unreleased and got away. And for all the critical brickbats that have always been aimed at the Hayward/Lodge edition of the Moodies, it should be noted that it's not just their way with melodies or the romanticism and 'cosmic' import of their lyrics that have kept them going all these years. Truth is, both men--the anchors of the group--are ace musicians as well. This is a fact proven time and again in concert, but something that can get lost in the elaborate studio mixes, since each tends to be either too subtle, or go a bit overboard with the flash as the song would dictate. A shame, because Hayward, while not a brilliant technician, has to be the most underrated guitarist in history who can shift from rhythm to lead, from loud to soft and back again, in the rock field (IMO) There may be better axemen out there, but to this day he has so much passion and love for his music (and I think, his loyal fans) that he just keeps on pushing a bit harder every tour.

Ironically, BLUE JAYS was not a bridge between the Mach II Moodies and the more trendy, bombastic (with Pat Moraz) band to come, but in a way, the relaxed and subdued end to the previous incarnation (even if they did reunite for the fitful if fascinating OCTAVE).

ED :)

You are right on Ed all the way. They are back on the west coast and Eugene where they play an outside shed in June. Great venue. I just get the feeling Justin does not ever want this to end, and the man can play better than ever.

If you didn't tell a Moody fan who wasn't aware of it, they'd swear it was the 'Lost Moody Blues Album,' the one that was left unreleased and got away. And for all the critical brickbats that have always been aimed at the Hayward/Lodge edition of the Moodies, it should be noted that it's not just their way with melodies or the romanticism and 'cosmic' import of their lyrics that have kept them going all these years. Truth is, both men--the anchors of the group--are ace musicians as well. This is a fact proven time and again in concert, but something that can get lost in the elaborate studio mixes, since each tends to be either too subtle, or go a bit overboard with the flash as the song would dictate. A shame, because Hayward, while not a brilliant technician, has to be the most underrated guitarist in history who can shift from rhythm to lead, from loud to soft and back again, in the rock field (IMO) There may be better axemen out there, but to this day he has so much passion and love for his music (and I think, his loyal fans) that he just keeps on pushing a bit harder every tour.

Ironically, BLUE JAYS was not a bridge between the Mach II Moodies and the more trendy, bombastic (with Pat Moraz) band to come, but in a way, the relaxed and subdued end to the previous incarnation (even if they did reunite for the fitful if fascinating OCTAVE).

It's too bad the Hayward/Lodge "BlueJays" single "Blue Guitar" was not an album track, as we would have had it in 4 channel surround. Any Moodies fan who has not heard this album (and Ray Thomas's "From Mighty Oaks") should seek them out because they will indeed think that they found "lost" Moody Blues albums from their prime.

It's too bad the Hayward/Lodge "BlueJays" single "Blue Guitar" was not an album track, as we would have had it in 4 channel surround.....
How would you fit it on the reel? It's about 50 minutes long as is.

I just pulled this one out for a listen. Haven't heard it in ages.

The mix is very discrete with a lot going on in the rears.

Musically, well if you're a Moody Blues fan and you've never heard this, you need to. A wonderful, overlooked gem in the band's extended catalog.

I gave it a 9. The music gets a 10, and although overall I think the mix is great, there are a handful of places where the rears are overpowering the fronts. (And believe me, I love a lot of activity in the rear channels, but in a couple of places it's a bit overkill.) Plus, it was available as a QR so you get decent fidelity with truly discrete separation. I was very bummed when this wasn't included with the Moody Blues titles that were released on SACD.

An '8' here, played it again tonight to refresh the memory. Several strong tracks, fine discrete mix, but overall, more modest than any Moodies album (meaning, the mix of the five members is missed here though the basic sound is intact).

This is a title that needs an official quad reissue along the lines of the (6 of) the Original Seven; a pity we're still waiting.

This is a title that needs an official quad reissue along the lines of the (6 of) the Original Seven; a pity we're still waiting.

Brian can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember, AF has made an inquiry to Universal about this Quad mix. Can't say what's the likelihood that it will actually get a release because AF Quad SACDs have only come from Sony or Warner owned albums thus far, but like I always say, Hope Springs Eternal! :)

One of my favorites, sounds just like a great Moody blues album. A definite 10. I hope they get to this one on SACD 4.0.

Back