DTS:X Announcement Coming April 9th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
DTS has alerted the audio press that they will be announcing their competitor to Dolby Atmos, known as DTS:X, for use on Blu Ray Discs and Home AV Receivers on April 9th.
Interestingly the alert makes no mention of the other 3D Audio format, Auro 3D, which makes me wonder if DTS:X may include some or all of the Auro technology from Barco. Hmm.....

"DTS plans on April 9 to unveil more detailed plans for its DTS:X object-based surround-sound format, a Dolby Atmos alternative for use on Blu-ray discs and playback in home theater systems.

What DTS has said so far is that home audio manufacturers accounting for almost 90 percent of A/V receiver and surround processor sales will introduce products incorporating DTS:X object-based surround-sound decoding. Companies launching DTS:X electronics in 2015 consist of Anthem, Denon, Integra, Krell, Marantz, McIntosh, Onkyo, Outlaw Audio, Pioneer, Steinway Lyngdorf, Theta Digital, Trinnov Audio and Yamaha, DTS said during International CES. Blu-ray discs with DTS:X soundtracks will be available 2015, the company also said at the time."

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/article/dtsx-details-to-be-divulged/19228
http://www.barco.com/en/Auro11-1

I thought I read somewhere in a past issue of video review that dts had bought up some technologies, and I was under the impression they were developing a broadcast standard that would equal or surpass Dolby's?

Thanks for keeping us updated Brian.You do good work and are a true credit to the quad/surround community.

derek

Out of curiosity, are (will) Auro 3D, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X (be) losslessly encoded mch audio formats?

I thought I read somewhere in a past issue of video review that dts had bought up some technologies, and I was under the impression they were developing a broadcast standard that would equal or surpass Dolby's?

Thanks for keeping us updated Brian.You do good work and are a true credit to the quad/surround community.

derek

Thanks. I know that DTS has been working with the Auro team on an object oriented audio container standard, so it has me wondering.
I guess we will have to wait until April 9th to see what the full story is.

Back