Would You Buy An SACD of Switched On Bach With A Quad Mix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would You Buy An SACD of Switched On Bach With A Quad Mix?

• Yes

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YES! That's a no-brainer... anyone that barely like electronic sounds must have this disc

Yes please; anything Ms Carlos wishes to issue in surround would be very well received. It's my understanding there are a few masters in waiting for surround - didn't she issue some CDs in Dolby Surround at one point?

I tried listening to this a few times, but I find it extremely hard to enjoy. I see the appeal of the album, and the historic relevance, and understand why it has the fans it does. I even enjoy electronic music a lot. Albums like this or "Autobahn" are obviously the roots of what I today enjoy in the realms of Trance or electronic Chillout. But perhaps I was born too late to like Switched-On Bach. It would be a no-buy for me, but that said - YES I DO hope it gets released on SACD in quad.

(on the plus side, it does conjure up images from various Game Boy games!)

I tried listening to this a few times, but I find it extremely hard to enjoy. I see the appeal of the album, and the historic relevance, and understand why it has the fans it does. I even enjoy electronic music a lot. Albums like this or "Autobahn" are obviously the roots of what I today enjoy in the realms of Trance or electronic Chillout. But perhaps I was born too late to like Switched-On Bach. It would be a no-buy for me, but that said - YES I DO hope it gets released on SACD in quad.

(on the plus side, it does conjure up images from various Game Boy games!)

I was certain you would have said "ON THE BRIGHT SIDE"!! :)

Switched On Bach 2000
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg

Yes please; anything Ms Carlos wishes to issue in surround would be very well received. It's my understanding there are a few masters in waiting for surround - didn't she issue some CDs in Dolby Surround at one point?

Please continue to cast your votes - one way or another. I voted yes. My 2 cents - one could argue that the poll is a success already in that it takes years in many cases to achieve this many votes on anything in just a few weeks. Look at the other polls for reviews on titles. It’s not that we’re indifferent, it’s that many members come and go as they please. Other times threads get buried, but all of us are here looking for Multi-Channel titles, regardless of musical genre. And when something is put in front of us, we buy. Folks use QQ for the news of releases, even if they're not logged in or a member.

Another way of seeing it: Do we want this in Quadraphonic? Yes, of course we do. One needs to understand that the Quad community has been promised titles before, only to vanish as “vaporware.” It’s like asking would you like chocolate cake? :) Yes, but we were promised the cake and it never happened, year after year. Give us the cake and we’ll buy. This holds true for many titles waiting as well. IMHO it should have just been released, it’s not really a question. Anyone who even casually collected Quad “back in the day,” owned this title. This title was everywhere.

But, if one is trying to use this poll to gauge, how many copies do we do? Fair enough and let’s look at things from the collector’s point of view. And here’s how one tracks the issue: If you print too few, the titles go sky high on amazon and eBay. Watch these markets Very Close over time, they’ll tell you the story. Print more than what you thought might sell, all SACD and DVD-A go out of print over time. So while it is difficult to prove a negative, one can easily track a positive by how many sales there are initially and how much titles go for on the secondary market. Once you see titles going for over $35-$45+ used, that’s when Artist/Record label needs to chime in and announce more runs of same product.

For the collector, and I've done this, I thought I wouldn't buy this or that title, but did anyway, for many reasons. Mainly, because it's buy now or regret later as any collector can tell the tale. Hope this helps, and we hope we get this title please! Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry that I haven't commented, but YES. This was a very popular album during its time, and was an introduction of many rock fans to classical music (other than the WB Cartoons (re: "Kill the Rabbit" :) )

I haven't listened to it in years, but I remember the Q8 had a great mix, and one that deserved multiple listens.

I would much prefer 24/96 in LPCM, DTS-HD MA, or MLP. However, I'd certainly buy the Quad SACD if it was the only choice.

I've already cast my vote = yes x2, since we tend to purchase duplicates of titles in this household. I'd be willing to spring a pre-payment for any of Carlos' work, even contribute to a kickstarter campaign to get my hands on one of the first pressings. Though I am format agnostic, it would be great to see this on BluRay Audio, especially if Ms. Carlos would be willing/open to releasing the titles in one of the newer formats like Dolby Atmos / Auro-3D.

Semi-related; I prefer the Tomita titles in digital than the vinyl versions. I shelved my quad vinyl copies of Tomita's "The Planets" and "Claire De Lune" but have put the SACD versions into regular rotation. I still think of the Star Hustler when listening to Clair De Lune.

Back to Switched-on-Anything by Carlos; I'd be happy to my money where my vote is and contribute up to $100 in a kick-starter type campaign.

Yes I would buy one

I have about 5 or 6 minutes of it on Quad R/R (M. Robin tape) great

I've already cast my vote = yes x2, since we tend to purchase duplicates of titles in this household. I'd be willing to spring a pre-payment for any of Carlos' work, even contribute to a kickstarter campaign to get my hands on one of the first pressings. Though I am format agnostic, it would be great to see this on BluRay Audio, especially if Ms. Carlos would be willing/open to releasing the titles in one of the newer formats like Dolby Atmos / Auro-3D.

Semi-related; I prefer the Tomita titles in digital than the vinyl versions. I shelved my quad vinyl copies of Tomita's "The Planets" and "Claire De Lune" but have put the SACD versions into regular rotation. I still think of the Star Hustler when listening to Clair De Lune.

I vote Yes as well. It would be a perfect match with my Quad SACD of Tomita's Clair de Lune.

Hey All,

Very busy summer for me - so I am sorry to have had a reduced presence around these parts this summer. I have retransmitted the link to this thread to the relevant parties. If anyone has not voted, please make your votes and opinions known here. I myself have no influence over the decision, but have been happy to post on behalf of someone who is genuinely trying. Thanks for all your comments to date. Hopefully they will find sympathetic ears at some point. If I receive any new information I promise to post here asap.

PS: I notice the poll is closed, and I am not sure how to reopen it. If possible I would like to reopen it for further votes, and if not you can add your votes in these comments.

For those of you who are interested, I can only report that a genuine appeal has been made directly to Wendy by someone who knows her personally, but has asked to not be named here. The appeal was received with other information, but no response was given to the appeal. So I get that this is an anticlimactic post. But sometimes the little drips lead to a break in the dam. I will ping the appropriate party with a reminder, but I must say I have not thus far been given a reason to feel encouraged.

The good news is that we have been flooded with other recent surround releases, so there is no lack of new or remixed surround goodness to keep our ears occupied while we wait. Maybe these new duttonvocalion.co.uk releases would signal another possible outlet for publishing Switched On Bach, if one is needed. As ever, I promise to post here the moment I get anything to report.

Back