Would You Buy An SACD of Switched On Bach With A Quad Mix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would You Buy An SACD of Switched On Bach With A Quad Mix?

• Yes

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • No

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shoot, I didn't see either of the previous attempts at gauging interest, but I would buy hi-res surround of anything and everything Wendy may release.

As is often the case, the key will be a green light from the artist. In this case - Wendy Carlos.

Guess so.. but I can't fathom why she wouldn't want her masterpiece out in true discrete Quad from the master tapes sounding absolutely spectacular for the very first time?

Reading her own website she is obviously a fan of Surround music.. and not only that but a true pioneer who was creating multichannel music before a number of us here were even born, so theoretically she should be on our side..!!

If she were to release all of her multichannel mixes (I believe she has mixed rather a lot of her own productions in such a way over the years.. all unreleased..) I would buy every single one of them.

Guess so.. but I can't fathom why she wouldn't want her masterpiece out in true discrete Quad from the master tapes sounding absolutely spectacular for the very first time?

Reading her own website she is obviously a fan of Surround music.. and not only that but a true pioneer who was creating multichannel music before a number of us here were even born, so theoretically she should be on our side..!!

If she were to release all of her multichannel mixes (I believe she has mixed rather a lot of her own productions in such a way over the years.. all unreleased..) I would buy every single one of them.

Ditto!!!
( I know, I'm so AR TI CU LATE!!!!)

I'd agree. If things change and reissue approval occurs, it could happen someday.

Thanks so much for the update, Fourplay.

It would be fantastic to have Wendy Carlos's music in Quad.
Let's stay positive and hopefully Wendy will come around to the idea.

Last edited:
Or perhaps--just floating out an 'if', here--perhaps Wendy might not be satisfied with that old mix, and might want to do a 5.1 remix, which might be an expensive proposition compared to simply remastering the old 4.0 quad for SACD? No way to be sure, but who knows? All I can say is that, compared to Tomita's RCA quads, S-OB seemed rudimentary just years after its release (which in no way is meant to denigrate its quality or influence, the latter substantial).

ED :)

The impression I have from reading the Switched On Box set booklet is that the artist originally favored 4 loudspeakers in an arc across the front. Whether 5.1 was ever embraced I have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a sample of Carlos brilliance in 5.1 on the BluRay of A Clockwork Orange.
I wish. That soundtrack was produced in mono. Warner did a pseudo-surround process when they released it to home video. Same with The Shining. The only film that has a surround soundtrack is Tron, with a mono surround channel, as was the custom in the day.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

So Fourplay, as 6 months has now pasted, I ask again:
So what is the latest on this? Are we going to get a multichannel disc?????

Just checkin' !

So Fourplay, as 6 months has now pasted, I ask again:
So what is the latest on this? Are we going to get a multichannel disc?????

Just checkin' !

There has been radio silence on the issue upstream of these ears. I have sent another inquiry, and will report back.

At the risk of raising false hope, I am reviving this thread for more discussion.

Here is the status: We have an industry insider who has an interest in seeing this title released, and has some resources to help it happen. He has direct contact with her and has directly inquired about this to her, but has not gotten any reply on this topic. Although she has replied on other topics.

We might find a clue from this quote on her website:

http://www.wendycarlos.com/discnotes.html#SOBinquad

"Eventually (perhaps soon, now that the standards seem to be in place) surround sound on DVD will be a popular medium for home music delivery. The good news is that the third and fourth disks of the Bach collection (S-OB II and the Brandys) are now preserved in superb 20-bit surround master transfers, from which the ultra-stereo two track CD versions on the new boxed set were made. So those will lend themselves neatly to 5.1 or whatever versions quite nicely. Switched-On Bach I was mastered in two track stereo, but a couple of years later got the early quad treatment, too. We made careful new mixes at CBS's bequest. But that mastering was released in their phony-quad system: SQ, if only for a couple of years in the early '70's. We will evaluate if that mix lives up to our usual standards, and also how greatly it may differ from the original we're all used to.

The Well-Tempered Synthesizer was never mastered to anything but two channels. Even so, we have the original multitrack tapes, so it might be reasonable to do new surround mixes, which would allow ALL the Switched-On Boxed Set music to become surround-ready, if you'd permit the fact that the first two will not be exactly the same in balances on every line and part to the originals (this is why the Boxed Set has been made available first as the best possible version of the original masters, for historical reasons. Other versions can then follow, as interest demands). Perhaps it would be best to test the reactions to the selections which would not need such revisionist history as surround remixing. Stay tuned for news on those after all the stereo titles have been completed."

End of quote.

The Switched-On Boxed Set was released on 10/24/99, so there has been 17 years to contemplate other releases.

I had the idea to start an on-line petition that could be presented to her, but when I looked at the reviews of petition sites I discovered that most or all of them make money by selling the contact information which is submitted by signers to spammers and other potential ne'er-do-wells. Of course I do not want any part of that.

So we need some creative way of sending a message to Wendy from a large number of people. She does have an email address on her web site, and I suppose we could all send simple pleas asking for the release. How about we discuss this option and solicit the approval of our moderators before putting this method into action?

Incidentally, there is a long and detailed discussion of surround sound on her site that many here would find fascinating.

http://www.wendycarlos.com/gosurround.html

Back to our topic, if you look at the head of this thread, you may see part of the problem. There were 15,488 views, 257 likes, 95 replies, and 63 votes. Some of these numbers represent multiple "like" clicks and views by the same people. So the enthusiasm was a little light in the actual voting. If we were to devise a petition and only the 48 people who voted that they would buy it were to sign, that would be an underwhelming show of support for the project.

So I am reaching out for your ideas of how to show support. Is there a way to make a petition as part of this forum? I suppose a simple one would be for every interested party to click "like" on this post. Is there a more formal way?

I would like to see this project happen - a single release, or a box set of all of her surround content. I think there are many others around here who feel the same. I can tell you that I personally have no influence, other than to keep the idea alive via enthusiastic posts. Do any of the other industry people around here know her? It is really down to reaching Wendy with a message that the project is wanted.

I would also love to hear any Wendy Carlos in surround. I have had occasional contact with her over the years, and I've asked a few times about surround releases. I've also had the same topic avoidance. I did get a hint she is working with a new record company after East Side Digital folded, but she is too careful about getting hopes up on a project not complete. So even if she is planning a surround release, she wouldn't want the public to know before its a done deal. However, I'm willing to be another voice to help convince her that it's indeed wanted by more than a handful of people, though it's a hard thing to prove. What makes it harder is playing examples of her work to young people when it's not available to download. She has greater audience potential than she realizes.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back