Best selling quad album?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I would guess it would have to be "Doors Best of" over "Elvis Aloha from Hawaii". I don't think any other title released in the '70s can get close to those two, as they were single inventory quad-only, and both huge sellers.

Anyone care to guess what #3, #4, and #5 would be?

NOTE: This is all a guess. I have no figures to prove it. What do you think were the best selling quad LPs released in the '70s?

=============================================

I would be it's not "Carolyn Hester" :)

Attachments

• hester.jpg
    hester.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 311
Could you please define the parameters? Things such as:
1- Are you basing it on US sales?
2- Is it based on total sales in ANY/ALL Quad formats?

I'll sit this one out for awhile, and refrain from guessing. Unless, is it Charles Ives' Old Songs Deranged? No?!? Well, OK then.

Could you please define the parameters? Things such as:
1- Are you basing it on US sales?
2- Is it based on total sales in ANY/ALL Quad formats?

I'll sit this one out for awhile, and refrain from guessing. Unless, is it Charles Ives' Old Songs Deranged? No?!? Well, OK then.

No parameters. Any format, world wide, what do you think were the largest sellers in 4 channel LP.

So the answer to the question (possibly) is - what other "popular titles" titles were single inventory?

You'd kind of expect "The Dark Side of the Moon" to be in there somewhere. It was a demo LP even just in stereo. It can't hurt that the SQ was repressed in 1988 or so, though maybe that just sold a few copies to collectors. I bought my copy in a mainstream record store in mid-1977, so it was around for a while. Come to think of it, I bought the SQ "Atom Heart Mother" somewhere normal even later. I don't think I *ever* saw "Wish You Were Here" in a store, I had to mail order it from a place that specialized in imports.

It would also be interesting to know what kind of numbers we're talking about once we look below the two popular single inventory titles you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if they jump down from millions to tens of thousands...if that!

You'd kind of expect "The Dark Side of the Moon" to be in there somewhere. It was a demo LP even just in stereo. It can't hurt that the SQ was repressed in 1988 or so, though maybe that just sold a few copies to collectors. I bought my copy in a mainstream record store in mid-1977, so it was around for a while. Come to think of it, I bought the SQ "Atom Heart Mother" somewhere normal even later. I don't think I *ever* saw "Wish You Were Here" in a store, I had to mail order it from a place that specialized in imports.

It would also be interesting to know what kind of numbers we're talking about once we look below the two popular single inventory titles you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if they jump down from millions to tens of thousands...if that!

Wow, that’s an interesting experience. Mine was the opposite, I think, but that was normal for the 70’s where records and tapes would pop up and in what section of a record store, one never knew. One really had to look deep sometimes to find Quad stuff. “Regular” record stores sometimes had an import section. Sears of all places had Quad stuff all over the place in plain view in the front of the record section here in Concord, Ca.

I believe the Q8 of DSOTM was everywhere, but the only place I could find the SQ DSOTM and SQ "Atom Heart Mother" was at “Rather Ripped Records” in Berkeley, an adventure in itself just to get there from the Concord area. Whereas, the SQ WYWH I found easily the same day it came out at Wherehouse records in Concord. But that was the 1970s, records all over the place.

My guess for 3, 4 and 5 (at least at beginning of Quad era) would be in order: "BS&T 2," Sly and the Family Stone’s "Greatest Hits" and Sinon and Garfield's “Bridge over Troubled Water.” I also remember a whole lot of Chicago and Santana SQ records and Guess Who albums. Also, “Switched on Bach” was everywhere too!

Yeah - Bridge Over Troubled Water seems to be very common... & Switched on Bach..

What about Chicago IX - Greatest Hits?

“Regular” record stores sometimes had an import section--I'm not even sure stores were routinely setting out specific quad sections by that point. In fact, I don't actually remember those at all, though they would have interested me even when I lacked the hardware.

Now that you mention it, I think the quad Floyds I found were in the import section. There was a period when Capitol was importing European EMI product with no direct U.S. counterpart and slapping an "IMPORT" sticker on the shrinkwrap with the Capitol logo. I'm 100% positive that's how I got my copy of "Masters of Rock", but I'm thinking that at least "Atom Heart Mother" was the same.

John Lennon was already gone when I found an SQ copy of "Imagine" in the import section at Tower. I don't know if that was a cash-in repress (seems unlikely) or if it sold enough to remain in print until at least 1981. I could see that one being a big seller on the back of the stereo version.

I would guess it would have to be "Doors Best of" over "Elvis Aloha from Hawaii". I don't think any other title released in the '70s can get close to those two, as they were single inventory quad-only, and both huge sellers.
sure i cannot be much trusted in regards of quad topics as you guys, who was directly been involved at that era,
but looking back in 70s (highest point of quad i assume somewhat in between 70~74), logically came conclusion Doors
and Elvis cannot be most popular and thus best selling acts. at that point their mainstream iconic image already started
to fade out and new generation of rock/pop stars came to top spot.
so my guess it's was Pink Floyd, followed by another rock/pop acts such like Deep Purple, Santana, Chicago, etc.

b.t.w. my assumption is based on the thought that availability of selection at retail doesn't mean huge sellers as long,
as buyers mass hadn't had ability to utilize quad formats.

Aloha from Hawaii - Elvis was ONLY available on LP as a CD-4 Quadradisc. As Jon mentioned, so was Best of the Doors, other than a record club issue. I don't believe BOD was available on any 2ch tape formats, either.

I picked Brass, Ivory & Strings - Mancini & Severinsen because it was again only in CD-4 on LP. Annie was only available on LP as an SQ, which is why I picked it, as well.

Aloha from Hawaii - Elvis was ONLY available on LP as a CD-4 Quadradisc. As Jon mentioned, so was Best of the Doors, other than a record club issue. I don't believe BOD was available on any 2ch tape formats, either.

I picked Brass, Ivory & Strings - Mancini & Severinsen because it was again only in CD-4 on LP. Annie was only available on LP as an SQ, which is why I picked it, as well.

Awesome topic..so interesting!!!

In Australia

Deep Purple
Dark Side of moon
Tubular Bells
All over the place every one thought that they had a rare copy

hm! really hard to accept that any title on CD-4 has outsold anything on matrixed format. at least CD-4 even today on gray market much rarer offer, comparing to SQ/QS.
if we include any genre, i bet classical, particularly from EMI/Angel, would be first pretender for champion title.

Last edited:
I did some research. It seems that "The Best of The Doors", an album ONLY available as a CD-4 Quadradisc (which means that every album purchased by anyone (other than one Record Club) was in fact a quad CD-4 album) was their best selling album, going 10x platinum.

And, according to Wikipedia, Elvis Aloha from Hawaii was Elvis's last #1 selling album, and was the best selling release in the Quadradisc format. We all know that Wikipedia is not the final authority, but I would seriously doubt any quad album in any quad format sold more than these two albums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_from_Hawaii_Via_Satellite

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?content_selector=gold-platinum-searchable-database (Search Doors, The Doors, Elektra)

I did some research. It seems that "The Best of The Doors", an album ONLY available as a CD-4 Quadradisc (which means that every album purchased by anyone (other than one Record Club) was in fact a quad CD-4 album) was their best selling album, going 10x platinum.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?content_selector=gold-platinum-searchable-database (Search Doors, The Doors, Elektra)
sorry Jon, certification date - february 15, 2007, about quarter century after last CD4 was pressed.
there's no way someone selling quadradisc till this date :)

View attachment 18120

If you were around back then in the USA, you know, This is not close. Doors Best single issue was sold by the zillions, and you could find them all over for a buck. I took 5 copies up to Eric in Portland when i did a dump of unsellable except in a store stuff. And the Elvis title was everywhere, could not give them away back in the day. Next would maybe be like QL said, Annie, it sold zillions and single issue. Need to exclude single issue and look thru billboard for hints on Columbia and RCA.

And, according to Wikipedia, Elvis Aloha from Hawaii was Elvis's last #1 selling album, and was the best selling release in the Quadradisc format. We all know that Wikipedia is not the final authority, but I would seriously doubt any quad album in any quad format sold more than these two albums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_from_Hawaii_Via_Satellite

0tto,

I give up. You just don't seem to grasp the concept.

Sorry

Back