HiRez Poll Neville, Aaron - NATURE BOY (The Standards Album) [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Aaron Neville - NATURE BOY (The Standards Album)

• 7 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this dual format 2004 release on Verve by Aaron Neville - NATURE BOY (the standards album)

(n):phones(y)

verve dvd.jpgverve sacd.jpg

I'm as surprised as you this one gets so little attention, Snood.

In a nutshell, this is a superb disc.

For our purposes, cut to the chase, the surround mix is excellent and upto Elliot Scheiner's impeccably high standards, nice and discrete and enveloping without any whizz bang.

Sound quality is exceptional, rich full low end, lots of detail on the inflections of Neville's unique vocal stylings.

The musical highlight for me is the duet with Linda Ronstadt ("The Very Thought Of You") what a voice she has!!

There's lots of other great takes on Standards.. "Summertime" has a jaunty breezy almost unexpected arrangement for example and there's a healthy balance of slow numbers and more uptempo ones. It's all very tasteful, impeccably played, arranged and executed.. one for a night in snuggled up with a Scotch on the rocks in your smoking jacket and slippers :smokin

If I have any potential niggles, there's the artists' own vocal style (if you're unfamiliar, there's a lot of modulation and wobble in his delivery, he does not sing "straight".. I love his voice but my partner hates it!) anyway the voice may not be everyone's cup of tea.. oh and the album itself is too short..!

Its a "9" from me. If this were to come out now I reckon it would get a lot more (deserved) love and attention.

I'm as surprised as you this one gets so little attention, Snood.

In a nutshell, this is a superb disc.

For our purposes, cut to the chase, the surround mix is excellent and upto Elliot Scheiner's impeccably high standards, nice and discrete and enveloping without any whizz bang.

Sound quality is exceptional, rich full low end, lots of detail on the inflections of Neville's unique vocal stylings.

The musical highlight for me is the duet with Linda Ronstadt ("The Very Thought Of You") what a voice she has!!

There's lots of other great takes on Standards.. "Summertime" has a jaunty breezy almost unexpected arrangement for example and there's a healthy balance of slow numbers and more uptempo ones. It's all very tasteful, impeccably played, arranged and executed.. one for a night in snuggled up with a Scotch on the rocks in your smoking jacket and slippers :smokin

If I have any potential niggles, there's the artists' own vocal style (if you're unfamiliar, there's a lot of modulation and wobble in his delivery, he does not sing "straight".. I love his voice but my partner hates it!) anyway the voice may not be everyone's cup of tea.. oh and the album itself is too short..!

Its a "9" from me. If this were to come out now I reckon it would get a lot more (deserved) love and attention.

I can understand why your partner doesn't like his voice...it's almost like he overextends himself and he does it almost all the time..I have been listening to samples of that album and I don't know if I could take his voice for an entire album...I'm torn because I seldom turn away an ES mix..and a "Proper" mastering...Darcy that is..but there are so many good discs and so little time..I don't know if I would listen to it...

I can understand why your partner doesn't like his voice...it's almost like he overextends himself and he does it almost all the time..I have been listening to samples of that album and I don't know if I could take his voice for an entire album...I'm torn because I seldom turn away an ES mix..and a "Proper" mastering...Darcy that is..but there are so many good discs and so little time..I don't know if I would listen to it...

I'm astonished at the lack of response here to this fine surround disc.. $25 gets you a (hopefully, gently) used one.. when has "Uncle Elliot" ever let you down..? :)

I'm astonished at the lack of response here to this fine surround disc.. $25 gets you a (hopefully, gently) used one.. when has "Uncle Elliot" ever let you down..? :)

I didn't get anywhere near that much for mine. A bit closer to $10. And that was just a couple of mos. ago.

Tonight I sat down with a glass of wine or two and listened again. In the right mood this is an exceptional album. Aarons voice grows on you. I originally gave this an 8. I'd give it a 9 now.

Back