Tony Bennett at Carnegie Hall in 3 Channel Stereo SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see there is an updated release date on this one. Now showing as a May 5, 2015 release in 3 Channel SACD Stereo. (Vinyl LP has been released earlier).

Tony Bennett at Carnegie Hall.jpg

Tony Bennett at Carnegie Hall (Analogue Productions 3-Channel Stereo SACD, CAPP 823 SA)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...At_Carnegie_Hall-Hybrid_3-Channel_Stereo_SACD

Not sure about Amazon.Com. I order the Analogue Productions SACDs from Acoustic Sounds since they own AP and you get the SACDs first from them.
In fact, I was playing their new 3-Channel SACD Stereo edition of Belafonte at Carnegie Hall: The Complete Concert yesterday. There are advantages in going straight to the source!

I need your opinion on the Tony Bennett disc...that's the 3 channel disc you need to buy:banana:

Tony Bennett at Carnegie Hall is only available on Vinyl LP from Analogue Productions at the moment. So you will have to check with someone who purchased that edition for an early review. The 3-Channel Stereo SACD edition isn't due out until May.

The review of the Vinyl LP on the web from a guy named Bill Spence says 5 Stars:
"This is a nice surprise. The recording and pressing are first rate especially considering the age of the tapes. Want Tony in the room? Grab this while you can. Great job!"
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...ennett_At_Carnegie_Hall-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...At_Carnegie_Hall-Hybrid_3-Channel_Stereo_SACD

That's right...May 5th...is that one on your radar for a purchase?

Yes, indeed. Love the 3 Channel Stereo SACDs by Analogue Productions. Already have the ones by Ray Charles & Betty Wright, The Weavers, Harry Belafonte and The Nat King Cole Story.

I'll wait until either Music Direct or Elusive gets it due to high shipping costs at Acoustic Sounds.

Music Direct expects to have it Apr. 28 and I guess Paypal cannot be used until then.

I have now listened to this disc two times through, and I am ready for a verdict.

Pros
- Good mix of songs - Tony's own hits and well chosen covers
- Good sound quality and Tony is in good voice and the band is stellar
- 3 channel which I really like. When I got the disk i noticed that there is no mention at all of anything else than stereo/2ch but to my big relief there is a 5.0-track which deliver 3.0

Cons
- The biggest con for me is that the level of the audience's applauses etc is way to high. It really distracts the music in the beginning and in the end of some songs. I have not heard this recording before - I guess it always was like this...
- Many of the songs are shorterned version under 2 minutes - I often find myself wanting the full song...

All in all I can recommend this warmly.

It's an excellent recording and another winning 3 Channel Stereo SACD from Analogue Productions. Highly recommended.

It's on my list...have you hear Sam Cooke's Nightbeat 3 channel SACD?

I have Nightbeat. Haven't played it in awhile.

On the 3 Channel Stereo SACDs, standouts to consider include The Weavers at Carnegie Hall and the one by Ray Charles and Betty Carter. Both are excellent sounding SACDs.

I'm surprised by the loud crowd noise and loud clapping on the Tony Bennett selection. It's like they mixed the crowd noise in at a bit too high of a volume.

Back