ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the UK we had small electrical stores where you could buy valves (as we called tubes), or you could get the shop to replace them, then along came cheap transistor radios and a lot of the magic vanished! When I was about 14 I was given an old 1930s valve radio by my neighbour, nothing could pull in the shortwave stations like it could, took half an hour to warm up though. A few years later when I was at University, valves weren't even mentioned in lectures, not much on the Germanium transistors either which I'd played about with as a teenager - as they were cheaper to buy than Silicon ones.

EVERY drug store had a tube tester and a stock of tubes under it. When you think back it's kind of hard to believe, as it doesn't seem that the average consumer would be pulling tubes and replacing them, but as I recall, they were pretty easy to spot when bad. They just didn't light up!!

My brain has scattered remembrances of things like screen grids and suppressor grid spacing, and I somehow remember that my table top radio once needed a 50C5 tube(!!). Why I remember that I have no idea. :confused:

Very good flashback Jim.

EVERY drug store had a tube tester and a stock of tubes under it. When you think back it's kind of hard to believe, as it doesn't seem that the average consumer would be pulling tubes and replacing them, but as I recall, they were pretty easy to spot when bad. They just didn't light up!!

My brain has scattered remembrances of things like screen grids and suppressor grid spacing, and I somehow remember that my table top radio once needed a 50C5 tube(!!). Why I remember that I have no idea. :confused:

Very good flashback Jim.

I used to like replacing all of my perfectly good tubes with those new ones with the gold contacts. Yea, I was a sucker. I bet the older tubes were actually better.

Ampeg B-15... Is that the one where the chassis flips upside-down and stows inside the speaker box? I always thought those were way cool. :smokin

-- Jim

Yep, that's the one. My father had 2 of them, one a tube model and one a solid state model. I still have both of them. One of these days I need to plug them in and see if A) they work or B) they blow up !!! (y)

I have no idea if these are good deals...but you can check them out HERE

Clint Thank you so Much - I just picked up the Beach Boys Smile Sessions Mega Complete Box -5cds 2LPs & 2 7" vinyl and books and and and marbles............kidding on the marbles........ and after the 20 % off first time order code of WELCOME20 https://www.popmarket.com/pages/welcome-to-popmarket Total WITH SHIPPING was only 85 bux..........down from 103 and bested Amazon used at 103 or Ebay MEGA more

discount was 18.99 dollars woooooooohoooooooooooo :banana:

Shiping was 9 bux UPS so it was 76 bux plus 9 bux shipping

I CALL THAT A BARGAIN!!! THE BEST I EVER HAD.................THE BEST I EVER HAD!!!!!

Well maybe not the best, but still a nice nice deal

Thank You Clint :snoodhug: :banana:

P.S.............easy ordering thru Popmarket - they let you use amazon:smokin

Not exactly music related, but Sleeve City is offering a Memorial Day special of 15% off using coupon code Memorial2016 [expires 6/02]. To make ordering easier, they also accept payments through Amazon using your email address/password.

A few notable deals: http://www.Sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-anti-static-cd-dvd-sleeve-p/3cdrice.htm ....protection for discs jammed inside those cardboard cases which tend to scratch over time.

http://www.Sleevecityusa.com/Single-Premium-CD-Jewel-Case-Black-Tray-Assembled-p/jwl1cdblk-ak.htm

I have ordered from them recently and they carefully wrap their CD jewel cases in bubble wrap. I have ordered CD replacement cases from AmazonUS only to receive cracked cases. Sleeve City's CD replacement cases are quality.

Unfortunately, they do NOT stock SACD jewel cases [MAJOR bummer].

My order for 30 RBCD cases and 200 poly 5' optical disc sleeves w/ s/h & 15% discount came to $28.45....roughly the list price of an SACD reissue!

Clint Thank you so Much - I just picked up the Beach Boys Smile Sessions Mega Complete Box -5cds 2LPs & 2 7" vinyl and books and and and marbles............kidding on the marbles........ and after the 20 % off first time order code of WELCOME20 https://www.popmarket.com/pages/welcome-to-popmarket Total WITH SHIPPING was only 85 bux..........down from 103 and bested Amazon used at 103 or Ebay MEGA more

discount was 18.99 dollars woooooooohoooooooooooo :banana:

Shiping was 9 bux UPS so it was 76 bux plus 9 bux shipping

I CALL THAT A BARGAIN!!! THE BEST I EVER HAD.................THE BEST I EVER HAD!!!!!

Well maybe not the best, but still a nice nice deal

Thank You Clint :snoodhug: :banana:

P.S.............easy ordering thru Popmarket - they let you use amazon:smokin

I've never had a problem with Popmarket...glad you found something:)

Gonna have to add popmarket to the list!! Thanks Clint...I've been buying from Discogs now for a year or two...

I use discogs too..keep in mind that popmarket is a US based company(they ship from Kentucky)and I'm not sure how expensive it would get to ship to your destination...they do ship to international locations...that's the beauty of discogs..you can usually find someone in your area if you live in Europe:)....this page answers a lot of questions and at the bottom is a CONTACT US link that you could use to find out what the shipping costs are to your destination

Clint opened my eyes to all these vendors. I was a skeptic at first, but I love them all now. I've bought several LP boxes from Popmarket and love their occasional great deals. Shipping is super fast I notice. :)

Clint opened my eyes to all these vendors. I was a skeptic at first, but I love them all now. I've bought several LP boxes from Popmarket and love their occasional great deals. Shipping is super fast I notice. :)

And, according to my avatar, my eyes are REALLY open...lol

How annoying...Acoustic Sounds is "offering" 15% off. Sounds wonderful, right? Well, every single SACD I wanted says "no additional discounts available" What a bunch of shit. Some sale... :howl

Truth be told, I'm not much of a Bowie fan. The only Bowie import I've owned is a Toshiba EMI Let's Dance

My Husband Joe is a BIG Bowie fan. Since a cheap rack system is all he owned before we me, he never popped for an import. Even if it sounded better, he wouldn't know the difference. Much of his Bowie is Ryko releases. He was 11 when those imports were prevalent.

...Linda are you a believer that the original west German and Japan RCA Bowie cds sound better?

Truth be told, I'm not much of a Bowie fan. The only Bowie import I've owned is a Toshiba EMI Let's Dance

My Husband Joe is a BIG Bowie fan. Since a cheap rack system is all he owned before we me, he never popped for an import. Even if it sounded better, he wouldn't know the difference. Much of his Bowie is Ryko releases. He was 11 when those imports were prevalent.

huh, I'm surprised. I might have thought you enjoyed his early career music. :) I sure do...

How annoying...Acoustic Sounds is "offering" 15% off. Sounds wonderful, right? Well, every single SACD I wanted says "no additional discounts available" What a bunch of shit. Some sale... :howl

Not so fast my friend...there are other options...elusive has 15%..HERE...and music direct($49 and above ship free)also 15% HERE

What titles are you interested in?

Received a couple today... from "Ralphie's Bargain Bin"..
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg

Not so fast my friend...there are other options...elusive has 15%..HERE...and music direct($49 and above ship free)also 15% HERE

What titles are you interested in?

Elusive disc also has discount restrictions on certain titles where Music Direct doesn't. Just placed a substantial order with MD and they shipped everything out via federal express [FREE shipping over $49] and all items were carefully packaged.

Elusive disc also has discount restrictions on certain titles where Music Direct doesn't. Just placed a substantial order with MD and they shipped everything out via federal express [FREE shipping over $49] and all items were carefully packaged.

Actually the titles Gos wanted had no restrictions and were eligible for the 15% discount...although I order from Music Direct they don't always have the titles in stock.. like right now... music direct doesn't have Headhunters...4 to 6 weeks according to their listing...elusive has it and will discount it...unlike acoustic sounds.....that's why I alternate between the two...both good places...music direct does offer you the lower free shipping price point and they will discount something that hasn't arrived yet...

Back