ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are my feelings as well. Moon is my hero (drumming wise)....and anyone who thinks he is not one of the absolute best...well.... :violin

I never want to offend anyone anytime.. just it is hard reading someone (even a very well-respected, legendary even, musician like Bill Bruford) bashing one of your idols.. not least that Keith Moon isn't here to defend himself.. it just seemed a nasty assessment of Moon, who may have been technically all over the place (and of course a shambolic wreck) but set aside his unorthodox technique (and messed up life in general) he was an extremely inventive musician with a unique feel/sound/approach, etc.. a real "one-off" imho.

Bonham > Moon (IMHO)

Hmm.. I'd rather Moon's creative off the wall kinda "scrappy doo on acid" drumming over Bonham's a lot of the time (and I love Zeppelin as much as I do The Who) its just more interesting to me and less predictable, even after all these years I'll hear something new in Keith Moon's drumming, Bonhams' I could probably tap out in my sleep its all ingrained in the organic data banks of my miiiiind.. :p

You know the feeling you get when you haven't heard a song for many years (30 or more) and hear it. You know most of the words and the melody, but don't know the band. I was laying in bed last night when I heard Stealin on streaming radio. Listened for awhile and got up to go to the computer and find out who the band was. Found out it is Uriah Heep and realized that other than Easy Livin I don't own anything by them. I will have to fix this soon. Scott

For anyone who enjoys the RCA Living Stereo Classical albums of the 50's & 60's, the third box set has just been announced and so far Amazon.co.uk as the best pre-order price, followed closely by Amazon.ca. The set is currently planned for release on November 4.

Amazon.co.uk

Amazon.com

Amazon.ca

60 CDs in superb sound housed in mini LP sleeves showing the original LP covers plus a superb book containing details about the recordings. All this for less than $2 a disc shipped. Obviously, I'd love for these recordings to come out on 3.0 SACDs, but it's still a smashing set. I'm looking forward to this one.

RCA%20Living%20Stereo%20Box%20Set%203_zpsfqktkfjd.jpg

Nice one Simon!
I didn't know there was anything left to release.
Amazon UK works out to 1.71 per disc. Yikes!

Nice one Simon!
I didn't know there was anything left to release.
Amazon UK works out to 1.71 per disc. Yikes!

The first box duplicated many of the SACDs that had been released. I have read that the second box (which I do not have) contained many Opera albums, of which I am not a fan. There will be some in the third box as well but I think that at that price, even if I enjoy only 20 discs, it's still a good deal. These boxes contain both quantity and quality. This is what box sets should have been like right from the start.

I love the fact that there's an album in the set titled "The Power of the Organ". :D

For anyone who enjoys the RCA Living Stereo Classical albums of the 50's & 60's, the third box set has just been announced and so far Amazon.co.uk as the best pre-order price, followed closely by Amazon.ca. The set is currently planned for release on November 4.

Amazon.co.uk

Amazon.com

Amazon.ca

60 CDs in superb sound housed in mini LP sleeves showing the original LP covers plus a superb book containing details about the recordings. All this for less than $2 a disc shipped. Obviously, I'd love for these recordings to come out on 3.0 SACDs, but it's still a smashing set. I'm looking forward to this one.

RCA%20Living%20Stereo%20Box%20Set%203_zpsfqktkfjd.jpg

A really magnificent set, Simon at a VERY fantastic price. If your wish came true and these were released as SACDs, at the current Analogue Production rate of $30 per SACD.......$1800.00US:yikes LIVING STICKER SHOCK!

A really magnificent set, Simon at a VERY fantastic price. If your wish came true and these were released as SACDs, at the current Analogue Production rate of $30 per SACD.......$1800.00US:yikes LIVING STICKER SHOCK!

Ha! No, I meant if they were released like the first batch of SACDs done by BMG 10 year ago at $7.98 each. Since I'm not into opera and not every album would be on my list, I'd take about 20. That would be alright.

Don't forget that the label could skip the physical format and simply release these as Flac or DSD files.

Ha! No, I meant if they were released like the first batch of SACDs done by BMG 10 year ago at $7.98 each. Since I'm not into opera and not every album would be on my list, I'd take about 20. That would be alright.

Don't forget that the label could skip the physical format and simply release these as Flac or DSD files.

I KNEW that's what you were referring to, Simon. Forget about SONY ever revisiting the Living Stereo Catalogue for those $11.98 list chock full two/three channel LS SACDs. BTW, the FEW AP Living Stereo SACDs I have are really better than the originals but of course....at a premium.

And those FLAC or DSD files could run between $19~$24 a pop.

I KNEW that's what you were referring to, Simon. Forget about SONY ever revisiting the Living Stereo Catalogue for those $11.98 list chock full two/three channel LS SACDs. BTW, the FEW AP Living Stereo SACDs I have are really better than the originals but of course....at a premium.

And those FLAC or DSD files could run between $19~$24 a pop.

Luckily though, those mega box sets are nicely mastered.

I'm unable to send PMs at the moment... getting message "503 Server is Down or Busy"... is this a "me" problem or is everyone effected?
(Sorry... didn't know where to post this!)

I just tried PM'ing you and got the same 503 error.

Cheers

Duncan

I'm unable to send PMs at the moment... getting message "503 Server is Down or Busy"... is this a "me" problem or is everyone effected?
(Sorry... didn't know where to post this!)

Luckily though, those mega box sets are nicely mastered.

A REAL pity, Simon, that when SONY had their US Terre Haute Indiana pressing plant open for business that they didn't replicate ALL of their LIVING STEREO treasures on hybrid three channel/two channel SACD. As good as the RBCDs might seem, and hearing what Analogue Productions has accomplished with the few LS SACDS I do have from their catalogue......that Living Stereo Sound REALLY does need a hi res platform to replicate those master tapes convincingly.

I'm sure it wouldn't be profitable for SONY in the long run since a lot of those original SACDs are selling for as little as $5.98 new and of course those 60 RBCD sets with discs selling for under $2 is a massive bargain but being the purist I am I suppose I would feet 'cheated' not hearing the absolute potential of RCA's master tapes INTACT (especially those in three channel of which there were MANY).

A REAL pity, Simon, that when SONY had their US Terre Haute Indiana pressing plant open for business that they didn't replicate ALL of their LIVING STEREO treasures on hybrid three channel/two channel SACD. As good as the RBCDs might seem, and hearing what Analogue Productions has accomplished with the few LS SACDS I do have from their catalogue......that Living Stereo Sound REALLY does need a hi res platform to replicate those master tapes convincingly.

I'm sure it wouldn't be profitable for SONY in the long run since a lot of those original SACDs are selling for as little as $5.98 new and of course those 60 RBCD sets with discs selling for under $2 is a massive bargain but being the purist I am I suppose I would feet 'cheated' not hearing the absolute potential of RCA's master tapes INTACT (especially those in three channel of which there were MANY).

They may have not released the SACDs, but the fact that Analogue Productions offers the 3.0 layer on their Living Stereo SACDs proves that the transfers had been done but not released. $30 for one disc is a pretty high price to pay for just an LP's worth (remembers that the original RCA Living Stereo SACDs always contained more than just one album's worth) but I will pay that price for the titles that interest me. They do sound sublime and the discs I have from the original series I play quite often.

Pre-ordered from Amazon UK.
Did the math, less than a buck-fiddy per with shipping.
Insane.

A GREAT deal on Leonard Cohen's 11 albums for Columbia....remastered in Mini LP sleeves in a box: http://www.importcds.com/complete-studio-albums-collection/886979617728

Back