OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

2. Thanks Quad Linda thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, Quad Linda liked this post
    organ of Corti junkie kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Some country where you can't criticize the govt.
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 4-earredwonder's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Eva Cassidy 3 disc set including PAL [region 0] DVD of her extremely rare live performance at Blues Alley in Georgetown, DC.

This UK import also contains her complete 31 track tour de force performance on 2 RBCDs [including 8 unreleased performances] performed live in January 1996 at the Blues Alley.

Remastered 2015 UK import. The sonics are stunning and if you never heard Eva Cassidy do yourself a favor and buy this incredible 3 disc set at under $10 http://www.deepdiscount.com/nightbird/739341020926

BTW, The PAL DVD plays with no problem on my North American OPPO BDP~105. The Video is 4:3/B&W/55 minutes/48/16 Stereo PCM.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...90&FORM=VRDGAR

5. Thanks sbrom thanked for this post
    Likes sbrom liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Great music. Run and get this bargain. Sadly a talent lost to the world way too soon. My 86 year-old mother-in-law turned me on to Eva.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-earredwonder View Post
    Eva Cassidy 3 disc set including PAL [region 0] DVD of her extremely rare live performance at Blues Alley in Georgetown, DC.

This UK import also contains her complete 31 track tour de force performance on 2 RBCDs [including 8 unreleased performances] performed live in January 1996 at the Blues Alley.

Remastered 2015 UK import. The sonics are stunning and if you never heard Eva Cassidy do yourself a favor and buy this incredible 3 disc set at under $10 http://www.deepdiscount.com/nightbird/739341020926

BTW, The PAL DVD plays with no problem on my North American OPPO BDP~105. The Video is 4:3/B&W/55 minutes/48/16 Stereo PCM.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...90&FORM=VRDGAR

7. Likes leahypc liked this post
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those few times that I am disappointed in Steven Wilson (and Tim Bowness):

no-man and kscope finally have the ability to reissue "Returning Jesus", and they choose not to remix the album in 5.1 surround.
    How disappointing...

https://burningshed.com/no-man_returning-jesus_cd

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Level
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    This is one of those few times that I am disappointed in Steven Wilson (and Tim Bowness):

no-man and kscope finally have the ability to reissue "Returning Jesus", and they choose not to remix the album in 5.1 surround.
    How disappointing...

https://burningshed.com/no-man_returning-jesus_cd
    I saw that a bit earlier. Really surprised honestly.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bee Gees are about to release a Super Deluxe Edition of the soundtrack to "Saturday Nigh Fever" for its 40th anniversary:

This edition features 2 vinyl discs, 2 CDs, and 1 Blu-ray Disc.
    According to the press release, the Blu-Ray in this box set appears to be exactly the same as the one released by Paramount Pictures a few months ago: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Saturd...lu-ray/174755/
    So is there really any need to buy this? Probably not, but to each their own...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300522604.html

Coming soon in 2017: "Eye in the Sky" (The Alan Parsons Project), "Black Sea" (XTC) and "A Farewell to Kings" (RUSH)!
    Already released: "Songs from the Wood" (Jethro Tull); "Misplaced Childhood" (Marillion); "Three Piece Suite" (Gentle Giant) and "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

organ of Corti junkie kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Some country where you can't criticize the govt.
    Level
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

us surround folk are just a bunch of freaks...the BIG labels don't give a shit about us...
    methinks this is a decision that they will regret BIG TIME in a few years....

but I could be wrong...as I have many a times before...
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

12. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked up an interesting DVD yesterday from my favourite used cd/dvd outlet. Dead Can Dance Toward The within . Have not had a chance to explore it much. Reviews say the sound is exceptional. Not familiar with DEad Can Dance but if SW likes them., I'm willing to listen. Will report back after several listens.
    Question: on the case it lists Dolby 2.0 and Dolby surround When I play it, it only shows Dolby 2.0.. Was that just a mistake?

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

For those that might have missed it...the new TV series on CBS is on right now(just started) STAR TREK-DISCOVERY....maybe some good music

15. Likes 360 SOUND liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 4-earredwonder's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kap'n krunch View Post
    us surround folk are just a bunch of freaks...the BIG labels don't give a shit about us...
    methinks this is a decision that they will regret BIG TIME in a few years....

but I could be wrong...as I have many a times before...
    Kap, if you're referring to the lack of surround re: Saturday Night Fever....the 'deluxe' edition.....I'll wait until Paramount releases the UHD 4K Blu Ray [for a fraction of the price] which will include a zooped up Dolby Atmos or DTS~X soundtrack......And as far as the Majors regretting their decision to neglect us Surround fanatics......doubtful they give a rat's ass....NOW or down the pike.

That window of opportunity, ruefully, has come and GONE!

Sadly, the Bee Gees have NEVER released ANY of their albums in surround on physical hi res discs.....so why start NOW?

17. Thanks kap'n krunch thanked for this post
    Likes kap'n krunch liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star skherbeck's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entrySocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading the comments on the recent surround release of Sgt. Pepper got me thinking... when you boost the rear speakers, you seem to get a better surround experience. Similarly, when I listen to stereo recordings in my car, if I have the front/back fader set appropriately, I feel like a get some sort of "pseudo-surround" experience. I'm thinking this is why I always enjoyed listening to music in my car ( that is, until I discovered true surround recordings). I literally can hear different elements coming from different corners of my car. Has anyone else experienced this? Do recording engineers somehow create this depth in stereo recordings? I'm not sure if I'm making sense here... comments?
    "One Quad to rule them all, One Quad to find them; One Quad to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."
    "The Quad is what gives a Sound System its power. It's a sound field created by four pulsing speakers that surrounds us and penetrates us."

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star John Svensson's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Your car has a Sansui decoder in it.....

20. Thanks skherbeck thanked for this post
    Likes GOS, skherbeck liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Johnny Mathis: The Columbia Original Album Collection (68 disc set)

I apologize in advance for posting about this is it will no doubt cause a wave of whining and conspiracy theories about "Quadblocking".

I still believe this will be a superb release, comparable to the huge Tony Bennett set from a few years back.

LEGACY RECORDINGS TO RELEASE

The Voice of Romance: The Columbia Original Album Collection
    December 8, 2017

Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, is set to release The Voice of Romance: The Columbia Original Album Collection, the definitive Johnny Mathis career-spanning box set, on December 8. The 68-disc set comes as a part of the continued celebration of the enduring musical achievements of Johnny Mathis (who first signed with Columbia Records in 1955.) Legacy has worked closely with Mathis on the curation of his Columbia catalog, pouring through the label's deep archive of studio and live material, restoring and remastering tracks for digital release. Within this vast career-spanning boxset, Legacy Recordings has included 62 Columbia albums that have been remastered (25 of which are available on CD for the very first time), two previously unreleased albums, a 2-disc collection featuring 40 previously unreleased songs as well as Johnny Mathis Sings The Great New American Songbook.

Signed to Columbia Records in the mid-1950's, Johnny Mathis was one of the very first musical artists to embrace the album concept and record fully-realized thematically and sonically coherent collections of songs. His 1958 release, Johnny's Greatest Hits inaugurated the ongoing "greatest hits" anthology phenomenon becoming one of the most popular albums of all time after spending an unprecedented 490 continuous weeks (almost ten years) on the Billboard Top Albums Chart. To date, Johnny Mathis has had 3 songs inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, achieved 50 hits on Billboard's Adult Contemporary Chart, and ranks as the #6 all-time album artist in the history of Billboard's pop album charts. He has received 5 Grammy Nominations, and in 2003 he was given the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy of Recording Arts and Science.
    Attached Images Attached Images

22. Thanks jefe1, Clint Eastwood, kap'n krunch, 360 SOUND thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, 360 SOUND, Snood, GOS liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Bon Jovi, Kate Bush, the Cars, Depeche Mode, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, J. Geils Band, Judas Priest, LL Cool J, MC5, The Meters, Moody Blues, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan, Nina Simone, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Link Wray and the Zombies comprise the full list of 2018 nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Read More: Bon Jovi, Judas Priest and 17 More Announced as 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-...ckback=tsmclip

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

I was listening to Aja and thought of this song...it's an orphan of sorts...recorded at the same time as Aja...it was for a movie that ended up being a flop and was later released as a single...the negative reaction to the movie didn't help this song...but over the years the song has gained in popularity in the Steely Dan fan base...I've always liked it...

25. Thanks ~dave~~wave~, rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes ~dave~~wave~, kap'n krunch, rtbluray liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

A new live CD & Blu-Ray release from Jeff Lynne's ELO will be out in November:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075Z6SG4R/

Wembley or Bust is a thrilling new concert film that documents Jeff Lynne's ELO playing their triumphant concert for a massive audience at Wembley Stadium on June 24, 2017. This visually and musically impressive new film gives viewers a remarkable evening in the life of recent Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee Lynne -- one of the most successful recording artists, songwriter and producers of all-time. Having spent much of his recent life in America working in the studio and producing other musical greats, Lynne returns home for this unbelievable stadium show.

In Wembley or Bust, we see Lynne and his remarkable musical ensemble filling Wembley Stadium with one of the greatest rock & roll spectacles of all time, complete with bells, whistles and spaceships, and most importantly, many of the most beloved songs of our lifetime, from vintage ELO classics like ""Mr. Blue Sky,"" ""Livin' Thing"" and ""Evil Woman"" to ""Do Ya"" from his days with The Move, ""Handle With Care"" which he recorded with the Traveling Wilburys, right through ""When I Was A Boy"" from his latest ELO masterpiece, Alone In The Universe. Now in Wembley or Bust -- directed by Paul Dugdale -- music lovers ""All Over The World,"" can see Jeff Lynne bringing all of his magnificent rock & roll dreams to life in a giant soccer stadium, and winning big in every way.
    Track Listings
    Disc: 1
    1. Standin' in the Rain
    2. Evil Woman
    3. All Over the World
    4. Showdown
    5. Livin' Thing
    6. Do Ya
    7. When I Was a Boy
    8. Handle with Care
    9. Last Train to London
    10. Xanadu
    11. Rockaria!
    12. Can't Get It Out of My Head

Disc: 2
    1. 10538 Overture
    2. Twilight
    3. Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
    4. Shine a Little Love
    5. Wild West Hero
    6. Sweet Talkin' Woman
    7. Telephone Line
    8. Turn to Stone
    9. Don't Bring Me Down
    10. Mr. Blue Sky
    11. Roll Over Beethoven

27. Thanks peterzach, Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes peterzach, Clint Eastwood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

I love ELO's music and Jeff's work...BUT...his decision to offer his last concert at Hyde Park in stereo only was a huge mistake...I didn't purchase it... but I've heard that the stereo version wasn't really very good from a sound quality perspective...and that is sad for someone like Jeff....who is quite knowledgeable about that side of the business..I wonder if he still thinks that stereo is the way to go on a blu ray concert...

29. Likes GOS, rtbluray, Tornado Red liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

31. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan - did you put this in a non-surround thread because you know something? I'd surely like to assume this will be in 5.1

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star colsky's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    Ryan - did you put this in a non-surround thread because you know something? I'd surely like to assume this will be in 5.1
    Here's hoping!

I'd also like to think that Ryan has changed his avatar to Yes's Going For The One because he knows something about an upcoming surround release of that one!! Ryan does have a history of changing his avatar to covers of upcoming releases

34. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, GOS, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colsky View Post
    Here's hoping!

I'd also like to think that Ryan has changed his avatar to Yes's Going For The One because he knows something about an upcoming surround release of that one!! Ryan does have a history of changing his avatar to covers of upcoming releases
    Unfortunately (AFAIK) there is nothing in sight on radar for more Yes reissues in surround sound.
    The avatar change to GFTO was more in line with what should have come out for this year, because if they ever release GFTO in surround sound, I will not need anymore Yes releases in surround sound. That will definitively close the book for me.
    Oh well, at least we have “Black Sea” to look forward to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GOS View Post
    No, I put this in the "ALL ABOUT MUSIC" thread because at this point in time, I cannot confirm whether there is a 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray.
    As Clint pointed out, the last ELO Blu-Ray was stereo-only, so I would assume this one would be too, but if there is a 5.1 mix on it, then I'll probably give it a shot!

37. Likes GOS, Snood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I put this in the "ALL ABOUT MUSIC" thread because at this point in time, I cannot confirm whether there is a 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray.
    As Clint pointed out, the last ELO Blu-Ray was stereo-only, so I would assume this one would be too, but if there is a 5.1 mix on it, then I'll probably give it a shot!

If it has 5.1, I will be all over it like fleas on a bigdog.

39. Thanks rtbluray thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like