ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Oldfield is 62 today...HAPPY BIRTHDAY...my first encounter with his music was in a movie theater watching the Exorcist...which scared the crap out of me...and Tubular Bells fit perfectly in that movie

Geez, the Exorcist - I tell you - that movie - the first time I saw it, my girlfriend, who eventually became my first wife, and I were coming back from Hudson, Wisconsin from giving her sister a ride there and, along I-94 east of the Twin Cities, we saw an outdoor theater with "The Exorcist" on the marquee. We debated a bit and decided to stop and see it.

By the end of the movie, I was afraid to get out of the car to use the rest room which was in the dark on the back side of the projection room/concession stand and against some woods. I was scared shi*less and that's the only movie ever to do that to me. I wondered if I was ever going to stop thinking my bed was floating off the floor in the middle of the night.

Anyway, yes, Tubular Bells is a perfect fit and I love the CD-4 version.

Doug

Geez, the Exorcist - I tell you - that movie - the first time I saw it, my girlfriend, who eventually became my first wife, and I were coming back from Hudson, Wisconsin from giving her sister a ride there and, along I-94 east of the Twin Cities, we saw an outdoor theater with "The Exorcist" on the marquee. We debated a bit and decided to stop and see it.

By the end of the movie, I was afraid to get out of the car to use the rest room which was in the dark on the back side of the projection room/concession stand and against some woods. I was scared shi*less and that's the only movie ever to do that to me. I wondered if I was ever going to stop thinking my bed was floating off the floor in the middle of the night.

Doug

I kept making excuses to go to the restroom or get something to eat(popcorn) because I didn't want my girlfriend to see how scared I was...that's the only time in my life I was scared in a movie theater...if the visuals weren't enough that voice just penetrated my soul....

yep, they have quite nice albums. beautiful melodies combining with very well done music arrangement and good musicianship,
makes them very appropriate candidate for surround sound.
well, at least hypothetically, because who will bother with, if there are Labelle and Beach Boys.

I would....I often buy non-mainstream discs.....if I like the music.

HAHAHA! Awesome....I too was literally frightened out of my mind when I saw that movie...for years...I refused to watch it again.

Doug

I kept making excuses to go to the restroom or get something to eat(popcorn) because I didn't want my girlfriend to see how scared I was...that's the only time in my life I was scared in a movie theater...if the visuals weren't enough that voice just penetrated my soul....

HAHAHA! Awesome....I too was literally frightened out of my mind when I saw that movie...for years...I refused to watch it again.

It got under my skin as well. But the last few times I tried to watch it I thought that it hadn't aged well at all.

The original release was mono, but allegedly some prints were made with magnetic soundtracks for the sake of better sound.

Hot news: New European dates have been added to Steven Wilson's tour (Madrid and Barcelona added in September for example). Check stevenwilsonhq.com for the full list

I watched the special on Palladia about Nugent...wow...I Loved it. All the discussion, pictures, etc from his Amboy Dukes days. How very cool....

I watched the special on Palladia about Nugent...wow...I Loved it. All the discussion, pictures, etc from his Amboy Dukes days. How very cool....

I enjoyed that one too....you see how he developed his guitar skills with the Amboy Dukes...that guitar portion in Journey to the Center of the Mind is so good...classic rock song...Ted is one of kind...

I enjoyed that one too....you see how he developed his guitar skills with the Amboy Dukes...that guitar portion in Journey to the Center of the Mind is so good...classic rock song...Ted is one of kind...

Shows like that make you realize how much old footage all these artists probably have (or somebody has). That's the sort of stuff I LOVE...seeing these guys back in the day. I just get lost watching this stuff...forget where I'm at. I should have been a music historian....I think that would be fun.

Shows like that make you realize how much old footage all these artists probably have (or somebody has). That's the sort of stuff I LOVE...seeing these guys back in the day. I just get lost watching this stuff...forget where I'm at. I should have been a music historian....I think that would be fun.

That certainly would be a great job especially if you got paid for doing it..did you have a chance to watch the Ann Wilson segment or Geddy Lee...I loved the part where Ann Wilson was singing Stairway To Heaven and they showed Plant and Page in the audience...when she held that one note I about went crazy...and so did Jimmy Page...good stuff...I had seen most of the footage in the Geddy Lee piece...

I must admit that I was never very fond of Sammy Hagar's vocals...and despite all the on stage antics of David Lee Roth...which made me squirm at times...I thought he was the better front man for the band...but Sammy really hit a home run with this song...one of my favorite Van Halen songs from an excellent album...

[video=youtube;DLQawHJ38Sc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLQawHJ38Sc[/video]

Well since this is Memorial Day Weekend...a radio station tradition on classic rock radio stations is the "countdown" of the greatest all time hits...I have a local station on right now and they are doing the top 500 this weekend...I will be listening while I work at home today and will list some tunes on this post as I hear them...when I lived in the Midwest this weekend kicked off the summer...people in my area would be dreaming about this weekend in the cold winter months...seems strange now that I live in Florida(when I'm not working at the space station)...as a young kid it would mean that school was over and you had the whole summer to play with your friends...oh those days...geeze...playing baseball and hanging out with your pals all day...no homework for school...no job to worry about...too young to realize what "stress" was...for me during my high school years I got a job during the summer...because I had a car and needed to buy gas to go to the lake and party with my friends...all those cookouts...

When I think of these countdowns...at first blush 500 seems like a lot of songs...but it really isn't...I remember this article in the Rolling Stone about 100 Beatle songs...that's just one group...you could get thousands of songs from the 60's and 70's alone...I very seldom listen to radio stations anymore...but lately I have been tuning in...and it's nice that they have music blocks of an hour with no commercials...and sometimes in bed I will listen late at night...sometimes I will hear a song I had forgotten all about...so I jump on the computer and see if any hi rez versions are available...or a CD with good dynamic range...

I wonder what will be the number one song...will it be a Beatles song..Pink Floyd...the Stones...

Here is the start of the songs on this post...I will keep refreshing the post during the day...not every song...just a few...here and there...

331-Closer To the Heart-Rush...326-Paint It Black-Stones...324-Hey Joe-Jimi Hendrix...322-Frankenstein-Edgar Winter..298-Sunset Grill-Don Henley-296-Born on the Bayou-Creedance Clearwater Revival-287-Cheap Sunglasses-ZZ Top...285-Crosstown Traffic-Jimi Hendrix..153-When the Levy Breaks-Led Zeppelin..151-Paranoid-Black Sabbath...149-All of My Love-Led Zeppelin...148-Lunatic Fringe-Red Rider..147-Stranglehold-Ted Nugent...145-Take The Money And Run-Steve Miller Band...144-Don't Look Back-Boston...143-Let It Be-Beatles...140-Kashmir-Led Zeppelin...52-Life in the Fast Lane-Eagles....51-Don't Stop Believing-Journey..48-Cold As Ice-Foreigner...45-Living On A Prayer-Bon Jovi...38-I want you to want me-Cheap Trick..27-White Wedding-Billy Idol...23-Highway To Hell-AC/DC...22-Feel Like Making Love-Bad Company...20-Running With The Devil-Van Halen..19-Photograph-Def Leppard...17-Back In Black-AC/DC...14-Walk This Way-Aerosmith...13-Welcome To The Jungle-Guns N' Roses...12-Stairway To Heaven-Led Zeppelin..11-Panama-Van Halen..10-Sharp Dressed Man-ZZ Top...9 Black Dog-Led Zeppelin...8-Pour some sugar on me-Def Leppard....7 More than a feeling-Boston..6-Sweet Emotion-Aerosmith..5-Bohemian Rhapsody-Queen..4-Sweet Home Alabama-Lynyrd Skynyrd...3-You shook me all night long-AC/DC...2-Dream On-Aerosmith...
number 1 song was Rock and Roll-Led Zeppelin....I didn't see that one coming....lots of great songs played on this list over the weekend...strange ratings IMO for the songs...I think the radio station just threw the list together..but they got the right songs...it was fun hearing those tunes...a lot of them I hadn't heard for a long time...gives me some ideas for some CD purchases..

Last edited:
We have some notable birthdays today....
Bob Dylan 74
Patti LaBelle 71
Steve Upton 69 Wishbone Ash
Albert Bouchard 68 Blue Oyster Cult
Derek Quinn 73 Freddie And The Dreamers

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and thanks for touching our lives with your music..

We have some notable birthdays today....
Bob Dylan 74
Patti LaBelle 71
Steve Upton 69 Wishbone Ash
Albert Bouchard 68 Blue Oyster Cult
Derek Quinn 73 Freddie And The Dreamers

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and thanks for touching our lives with your music..

Nice...I've been thinking about buying some Dylan SACD's. I already have Blonde on Blonde....might like to get some more.

Back