ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I did find a 2nd copy of Foreigner 4 on DVD-Audio (bummer, didn't know I already had a copy), I also found an unopened copy of Porcupine Tree - The Incident on DVD-Audio/Video.

Geez - I guess I never opened it, and honestly, I don't remember buying it. Wonder how long I've had it? Is this thing out of print? Dare I leave it sealed? :mad:@:

While I did find a 2nd copy of Foreigner 4 on DVD-Audio (bummer, didn't know I already had a copy), I also found an unopened copy of Porcupine Tree - The Incident on DVD-Audio/Video.

Geez - I guess I never opened it, and honestly, I don't remember buying it. Wonder how long I've had it? Is this thing out of print? Dare I leave it sealed? :mad:@:

The Foreigner 4 has value and it will fetch a decent price plus it's a DVD-A not a SACD which some people will want more than a SACD.....the Incident is valued from $25-30(new) right now...that version was released in 2010...it's out of print...to be candid it's never going to be worth a lot so if you want to hear it.... go ahead and listen to it..

Eva Cassidy 3 disc set including PAL [region 0] DVD of her extremely rare live performance at Blues Alley in Georgetown, DC.

This UK import also contains her complete 31 track tour de force performance on 2 RBCDs [including 8 unreleased performances] performed live in January 1996 at the Blues Alley.

Remastered 2015 UK import. The sonics are stunning and if you never heard Eva Cassidy do yourself a favor and buy this incredible 3 disc set at under $10 http://www.deepdiscount.com/nightbird/739341020926

BTW, The PAL DVD plays with no problem on my North American OPPO BDP~105. The Video is 4:3/B&W/55 minutes/48/16 Stereo PCM.(y)(y)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3ED0C38E636903B940833ED0C38E63690&FORM=VRDGAR

Great music. Run and get this bargain. Sadly a talent lost to the world way too soon. My 86 year-old mother-in-law turned me on to Eva.

Eva Cassidy 3 disc set including PAL [region 0] DVD of her extremely rare live performance at Blues Alley in Georgetown, DC.

This UK import also contains her complete 31 track tour de force performance on 2 RBCDs [including 8 unreleased performances] performed live in January 1996 at the Blues Alley.

Remastered 2015 UK import. The sonics are stunning and if you never heard Eva Cassidy do yourself a favor and buy this incredible 3 disc set at under $10 http://www.deepdiscount.com/nightbird/739341020926

BTW, The PAL DVD plays with no problem on my North American OPPO BDP~105. The Video is 4:3/B&W/55 minutes/48/16 Stereo PCM.(y)(y)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3ED0C38E636903B940833ED0C38E63690&FORM=VRDGAR

The Bee Gees are about to release a Super Deluxe Edition of the soundtrack to "Saturday Nigh Fever" for its 40th anniversary:
91iWgw9X7LL._SL1500_.jpg

This edition features 2 vinyl discs, 2 CDs, and 1 Blu-ray Disc.
According to the press release, the Blu-Ray in this box set appears to be exactly the same as the one released by Paramount Pictures a few months ago: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Saturday-Night-Fever-Blu-ray/174755/
So is there really any need to buy this? Probably not, but to each their own...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...h-anniversary-edition-releases-300522604.html

us surround folk are just a bunch of freaks...the BIG labels don't give a shit about us...
methinks this is a decision that they will regret BIG TIME in a few years....

but I could be wrong...as I have many a times before...

Picked up an interesting DVD yesterday from my favourite used cd/dvd outlet. Dead Can Dance Toward The within . Have not had a chance to explore it much. Reviews say the sound is exceptional. Not familiar with DEad Can Dance but if SW likes them., I'm willing to listen. Will report back after several listens.
Question: on the case it lists Dolby 2.0 and Dolby surround When I play it, it only shows Dolby 2.0.. Was that just a mistake?

us surround folk are just a bunch of freaks...the BIG labels don't give a shit about us...
methinks this is a decision that they will regret BIG TIME in a few years....

but I could be wrong...as I have many a times before...

Kap, if you're referring to the lack of surround re: Saturday Night Fever....the 'deluxe' edition.....I'll wait until Paramount releases the UHD 4K Blu Ray [for a fraction of the price] which will include a zooped up Dolby Atmos or DTS~X soundtrack......And as far as the Majors regretting their decision to neglect us Surround fanatics......doubtful they give a rat's ass....NOW or down the pike.

That window of opportunity, ruefully, has come and GONE!

Sadly, the Bee Gees have NEVER released ANY of their albums in surround on physical hi res discs.....so why start NOW?

Reading the comments on the recent surround release of Sgt. Pepper got me thinking... when you boost the rear speakers, you seem to get a better surround experience. Similarly, when I listen to stereo recordings in my car, if I have the front/back fader set appropriately, I feel like a get some sort of "pseudo-surround" experience. I'm thinking this is why I always enjoyed listening to music in my car ( that is, until I discovered true surround recordings). I literally can hear different elements coming from different corners of my car. Has anyone else experienced this? Do recording engineers somehow create this depth in stereo recordings? I'm not sure if I'm making sense here... comments?

I apologize in advance for posting about this is it will no doubt cause a wave of whining and conspiracy theories about "Quadblocking".

I still believe this will be a superb release, comparable to the huge Tony Bennett set from a few years back.

LEGACY RECORDINGS TO RELEASE

The Voice of Romance: The Columbia Original Album Collection
December 8, 2017

Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, is set to release The Voice of Romance: The Columbia Original Album Collection, the definitive Johnny Mathis career-spanning box set, on December 8. The 68-disc set comes as a part of the continued celebration of the enduring musical achievements of Johnny Mathis (who first signed with Columbia Records in 1955.) Legacy has worked closely with Mathis on the curation of his Columbia catalog, pouring through the label's deep archive of studio and live material, restoring and remastering tracks for digital release. Within this vast career-spanning boxset, Legacy Recordings has included 62 Columbia albums that have been remastered (25 of which are available on CD for the very first time), two previously unreleased albums, a 2-disc collection featuring 40 previously unreleased songs as well as Johnny Mathis Sings The Great New American Songbook.

Signed to Columbia Records in the mid-1950's, Johnny Mathis was one of the very first musical artists to embrace the album concept and record fully-realized thematically and sonically coherent collections of songs. His 1958 release, Johnny's Greatest Hits inaugurated the ongoing "greatest hits" anthology phenomenon becoming one of the most popular albums of all time after spending an unprecedented 490 continuous weeks (almost ten years) on the Billboard Top Albums Chart. To date, Johnny Mathis has had 3 songs inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, achieved 50 hits on Billboard's Adult Contemporary Chart, and ranks as the #6 all-time album artist in the history of Billboard's pop album charts. He has received 5 Grammy Nominations, and in 2003 he was given the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy of Recording Arts and Science.

Attachments

• m_12500.jpg
    m_12500.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 160
Bon Jovi, Kate Bush, the Cars, Depeche Mode, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, J. Geils Band, Judas Priest, LL Cool J, MC5, The Meters, Moody Blues, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan, Nina Simone, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Link Wray and the Zombies comprise the full list of 2018 nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Read More: Bon Jovi, Judas Priest and 17 More Announced as 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-hall-fame-nominees-2018/?trackback=tsmclip

Back