ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was listening to Aja and thought of this song...it's an orphan of sorts...recorded at the same time as Aja...it was for a movie that ended up being a flop and was later released as a single...the negative reaction to the movie didn't help this song...but over the years the song has gained in popularity in the Steely Dan fan base...I've always liked it...

[video=youtube;HV3zWSawJiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV3zWSawJiw&list=RDHV3zWSawJiw#t=10[/video]

A new live CD & Blu-Ray release from Jeff Lynne's ELO will be out in November:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075Z6SG4R/

Wembley or Bust is a thrilling new concert film that documents Jeff Lynne's ELO playing their triumphant concert for a massive audience at Wembley Stadium on June 24, 2017. This visually and musically impressive new film gives viewers a remarkable evening in the life of recent Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee Lynne -- one of the most successful recording artists, songwriter and producers of all-time. Having spent much of his recent life in America working in the studio and producing other musical greats, Lynne returns home for this unbelievable stadium show.

In Wembley or Bust, we see Lynne and his remarkable musical ensemble filling Wembley Stadium with one of the greatest rock & roll spectacles of all time, complete with bells, whistles and spaceships, and most importantly, many of the most beloved songs of our lifetime, from vintage ELO classics like ""Mr. Blue Sky,"" ""Livin' Thing"" and ""Evil Woman"" to ""Do Ya"" from his days with The Move, ""Handle With Care"" which he recorded with the Traveling Wilburys, right through ""When I Was A Boy"" from his latest ELO masterpiece, Alone In The Universe. Now in Wembley or Bust -- directed by Paul Dugdale -- music lovers ""All Over The World,"" can see Jeff Lynne bringing all of his magnificent rock & roll dreams to life in a giant soccer stadium, and winning big in every way.

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. Standin' in the Rain
2. Evil Woman
3. All Over the World
4. Showdown
5. Livin' Thing
6. Do Ya
7. When I Was a Boy
8. Handle with Care
9. Last Train to London
10. Xanadu
11. Rockaria!
12. Can't Get It Out of My Head

Disc: 2
1. 10538 Overture
2. Twilight
3. Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
4. Shine a Little Love
5. Wild West Hero
6. Sweet Talkin' Woman
7. Telephone Line
8. Turn to Stone
9. Don't Bring Me Down
10. Mr. Blue Sky
11. Roll Over Beethoven

817Bc4bJuGL._SL1190_.jpg

A new live CD & Blu-Ray release from Jeff Lynne's ELO will be out in November:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075Z6SG4R/

817Bc4bJuGL._SL1190_.jpg

I love ELO's music and Jeff's work...BUT...his decision to offer his last concert at Hyde Park in stereo only was a huge mistake...I didn't purchase it... but I've heard that the stereo version wasn't really very good from a sound quality perspective...and that is sad for someone like Jeff....who is quite knowledgeable about that side of the business..I wonder if he still thinks that stereo is the way to go on a blu ray concert...

Ryan - did you put this in a non-surround thread because you know something? :( I'd surely like to assume this will be in 5.1 :mad:@:

Here's hoping!

I'd also like to think that Ryan has changed his avatar to Yes's Going For The One because he knows something about an upcoming surround release of that one!! Ryan does have a history of changing his avatar to covers of upcoming releases :confused:

Here's hoping!

I'd also like to think that Ryan has changed his avatar to Yes's Going For The One because he knows something about an upcoming surround release of that one!! Ryan does have a history of changing his avatar to covers of upcoming releases :confused:

Unfortunately (AFAIK) there is nothing in sight on radar for more Yes reissues in surround sound.
The avatar change to GFTO was more in line with what should have come out for this year, because if they ever release GFTO in surround sound, I will not need anymore Yes releases in surround sound. That will definitively close the book for me.
Oh well, at least we have “Black Sea” to look forward to! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan - did you put this in a non-surround thread because you know something? :( I'd surely like to assume this will be in 5.1 :mad:@:

No, I put this in the "ALL ABOUT MUSIC" thread because at this point in time, I cannot confirm whether there is a 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray.
As Clint pointed out, the last ELO Blu-Ray was stereo-only, so I would assume this one would be too, but if there is a 5.1 mix on it, then I'll probably give it a shot!

:)

No, I put this in the "ALL ABOUT MUSIC" thread because at this point in time, I cannot confirm whether there is a 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray.
As Clint pointed out, the last ELO Blu-Ray was stereo-only, so I would assume this one would be too, but if there is a 5.1 mix on it, then I'll probably give it a shot!

If it has 5.1, I will be all over it like fleas on a bigdog.

Bon Jovi, Kate Bush, the Cars, Depeche Mode, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, J. Geils Band, Judas Priest, LL Cool J, MC5, The Meters, Moody Blues, Rage Against the Machine, Radiohead, Rufus Featuring Chaka Khan, Nina Simone, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Link Wray and the Zombies comprise the full list of 2018 nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
[/url]

I'll never take the Hall of Fame seriously until it includes the Moody Blues! Maybe not even then :fly:

For those that aren't familiar with the Bridge of Sighs...it's excellent....if you love great guitar...it's here...hard to get noticed in the 1970's music scene...the best of the best were at their peak...Robin and this album never got enough credit...IMO...I'd love someone to give this the hi rez treatment...even if it's not surround...it wouldn't take much to make this sound stellar...

[video=youtube;cd3FSbqGRUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd3FSbqGRUo[/video]

Its a wonderful album. I've a 1999 Expanded CD which says it was remastered at 24-bits from the original Master tapes, so it would be nice to get this as a Hi-Res album (better if remixed into 5.1), the scary thing is that it was released back in 1974, I have a very well played LP from then!

For those that aren't familiar with the Bridge of Sighs...it's excellent....if you love great guitar...it's here...hard to get noticed in the 1970's music scene...the best of the best were at their peak...Robin and this album never got enough credit...IMO...I'd love someone to give this the hi rez treatment...even if it's not surround...it wouldn't take much to make this sound stellar...

[video=youtube;cd3FSbqGRUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd3FSbqGRUo[/video]

I don't think we have a "listening to on vinyl" thread....so anyhow.

I'm spinning an old copy of Tom Jones - She's A Lady. What an outstanding release, and my copy sounds amazingly good. Click here or there...who cares.

I'm spinning an old copy of Tom Jones - She's A Lady. What an outstanding release, and my copy sounds amazingly good. Click here or there...who cares.

And now, moving on to Johnny Mathis - The Shadow Of Your Smile....another original copy, which sounds spectacular considering the age. :)

I apologize in advance for posting about this is it will no doubt cause a wave of whining and conspiracy theories about "Quadblocking".

I still believe this will be a superb release, comparable to the huge Tony Bennett set from a few years back.

LEGACY RECORDINGS TO RELEASE

The Voice of Romance: The Columbia Original Album Collection
December 8, 2017

Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, is set to release The Voice of Romance: The Columbia Original Album Collection, the definitive Johnny Mathis career-spanning box set, on December 8. The 68-disc set comes as a part of the continued celebration of the enduring musical achievements of Johnny Mathis (who first signed with Columbia Records in 1955.) Legacy has worked closely with Mathis on the curation of his Columbia catalog, pouring through the label's deep archive of studio and live material, restoring and remastering tracks for digital release. Within this vast career-spanning boxset, Legacy Recordings has included 62 Columbia albums that have been remastered (25 of which are available on CD for the very first time), two previously unreleased albums, a 2-disc collection featuring 40 previously unreleased songs as well as Johnny Mathis Sings The Great New American Songbook.

Signed to Columbia Records in the mid-1950's, Johnny Mathis was one of the very first musical artists to embrace the album concept and record fully-realized thematically and sonically coherent collections of songs. His 1958 release, Johnny's Greatest Hits inaugurated the ongoing "greatest hits" anthology phenomenon becoming one of the most popular albums of all time after spending an unprecedented 490 continuous weeks (almost ten years) on the Billboard Top Albums Chart. To date, Johnny Mathis has had 3 songs inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, achieved 50 hits on Billboard's Adult Contemporary Chart, and ranks as the #6 all-time album artist in the history of Billboard's pop album charts. He has received 5 Grammy Nominations, and in 2003 he was given the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy of Recording Arts and Science.

I dunno - I'm not going to complain. I may very well get the big box with his career stuff. wow! We all know how I feel about Mathis. Unmatched talent.......wonderful, wonderful. :)

This thread is fine for vinyl:)..I'm curious...are some of these albums from your pappy?...you have had great luck with these older vinyl titles...somebody must have taken good care of them..

I dunno - I'm not going to complain. I may very well get the big box with his career stuff. wow! We all know how I feel about Mathis. Unmatched talent.......wonderful, wonderful. :)

I wonder how long we will have Johnny....last month he turned 82...geeze...hard to believe...awesome voice...true professional performer...here is one of my favorites

[video=youtube;vaEqc9E1BKg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaEqc9E1BKg[/video]

Back