ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm - I guess I don't have any recollection about this release. Been around a few years...has it been reviewed or talked about here? I did a search and couldn't come up with anything.

The Allman Brothers - The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings [3 Blu-ray Audio]

Pretty pricey...

Hmmm - I guess I don't have any recollection about this release. Been around a few years...has it been reviewed or talked about here? I did a search and couldn't come up with anything.

Pretty pricey...

3 full Blu Ray discs less than $20 each on a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty pricey...

I've got the Live at Fillmore East DTS which I purchased because most of the reviews said it had a more discrete surround mix. Sounds good to me, but I'm not sure how the mixes compare (it's also not the complete show)

Ooh, what could be included in this?
I wonder…
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072QFLZFP/
51FyjGf6iFL.jpg

(BTW I hate this album, and Def Leppard in general, so it will definitely be a huge relief if a 5.1 mix is not included in this set…) ;)

First time I ever heard that was getting my "Navy" tattoo from a guy in a one-man studio in Marseille....he played it over and over. That was when only us and the Hells Angels got them, before everybody's mothers started doing it. ;)
I could take it in 5.1, then I could sell off the MoFi disc I have.

I'm finally into vinyl - hooked up my dad's old Beocenter 4600 to the surround system :banana:

Does not sound to bad with 11 channel stereo dsp.

4nYe5i3.jpg

A little more information on the Def Leppard "Hysteria" Super Deluxe Edition:
Sheffield, UK (June 7, 2017)— Legendary British rock ‘n’ roll icons Def Leppard celebrate the 30th anniversary of their seminal album Hysteria, one of the best-selling and most influential releases in music history, with the release of Hysteria (Remastered 2017) through Bludgeon Riffola/UMC/Mercury. Released on 4th August 2017, the anniversary remastered edition will come in various formats – Super Deluxe 5-CD/2-DVD, Deluxe 3-CD, Standard 1-CD and 2-LP Black Vinyl – as well as a limited edition 2-LP Coloured Vinyl. The reissue boasts B-sides and live tracks and additionally the audio for “In The Round In Your Face (Live)” on CD for the first time!

Among the new versions, the Super Deluxe Edition boasts 5-CD/2-DVDs including four books—Story Of, a Ross Halfin photo book, Discography, Hysteria Tour Program, and Tour Poster. The Deluxe Version features 3 CDs, the Vanilla Version is 1-CD, and the Vinyl Version is 2 Black LPs.

I do have a very nice cd of Hysteria with a DR of 12, a 2009 editon, but my absolute favourite is Pyromania - would love to have a 96/24 5.1 with excellent DR of that one :smokin

Scorpions :banana:

y9wJTa0.jpg

Didn't know where to put this...so here goes. I've ripped a DVD-Video and wasn't happy with the extremely low volume of the surround channels. So, I keep hearing others talking about messing around in Audacity. So, I loaded a single song in A and was easily able to increase the db of the surrounds. So, I figure...OK...I"ll simply load all 15 songs at once (which I did) and work on them as a whole...(which I did). Only, then when I try to export....I can't export in a way that it will overwrite each of the 15 songs and keep the song names...if that makes any sense.

OK, backup. When I worked on a single song, and then export, it goes to the original flac file and I just overwrite it. But if I load all 15 songs, it forces me to only save as a single file...I think.

Anyone know what I mean? Based on this, do I have to load each song individually and export and then overwrite my original flac? (I don't want the original as I don't like the quite surrounds)
:confused:

Speaking of upcoming releases, CDJapan has announced the U2 catalog in cardboard mini LP's SHM CD's stereo only. This is a fine example where as, I already own the original RBCD's, and I do not feel the upcoming new SHM CD's will be better, for lack of a word, than the originals. As a collector of all things U2, which I am not, than maybe yes, but sonic's wise, no.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/u2_13_first_to_mini_lp_shmcd_reissues_japan_exclusive
Three Canned Heat are also future releases.

The Ed Palermo Big Band - The Un-American Songbook Volumes I & II

Ed Palermo's Big Band has been a staple of the live NYC jazz scene for many years and could/should be considered the foremost interpreter of Frank Zappa's music short of anyone named Zappa. His arrangements are precise and loose at the same time and his live performances are not to be missed. Recently released, The Un-American Songbook features arrangements of UK based artists covering a broad range from The Beatles, Procol Harum. Blodwyn Pig, ELP and most notably 2 King Crimson chestnuts, Lark's Tongue and 21st Century Schizoid Man. Big Band music can sometimes come off as a bit pedantic, but Palermo's arrangements and his band's execution thereof are spectacular. As one can imagine, as a purveyor of Zappa's canon, Ed's sense of humor is also front and center - from the goofy album art to the brief comedic, narrative threads connecting several of the songs on the album - apparently from Ringo's less successful cousin. The album is available via Bandcamp either as a flac download or CD https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-great-un-american-songbook-volumes-i-ii. Full track samples are also available for your consideration.

Here's the artwork and track listing;

cover.jpg

1. Good Morning, Good Morning (The Beatles) 02:53
2. Open Up Said the World at the Door (The Move) 05:10
3. We Love You (The Rolling Stones) 04:25
4. Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles) 04:45
5. Definitely Maybe (Jeff Beck) 05:38
6. As You Said (Cream) 04:29
7. Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two (King Crimson) 07:07
8. 21st Century Schizoid Man (King Crimson) 06:29
9. Send Your Son to Die (Blodwyn Pig) 04:32
10.Edward, The Mad Shirt Grinder (Nicky Hopkins w/ Quicksilver Messenger Service) 13:21
11.America/American Idiot (The Nice, Green Day) 02:55
12.Beggar's Farm (Jethro Tull) 06:47
13.Bitches Crystal (Emerson, Lake and Palmer) 05:25
14.Wreck of the Hesperus (Procol Harum) 04:01
15.Diamond Dust (Jeff Beck) 05:27
16.The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (Traffic) 05:29
17.Fire (Arthur Brown) 03:36
18.The Tourist (Radiohead) 04:54
19.Don't Bother Me (The Beatles) / Nardis (Miles Davis) / Don't Bother Me (reprise) 07:11
20.I Wanna Be Your Man (The Beatles) 03:22
21.Good Night (The Beatles) 05:41

On Tuesday night I tried to have a catnap before the gig, but , no dice...

I prepared something for before the concert,
We all know that the best surface is an LP jacket...and I randomly picked up Nick Drake's "Five Leaves Left"- VERY appropriate too...

Nick is barely known in Spain; people give you the weirdest looks when you mention him...

So, I parked the car , got out, did my thing,I got to the venue- the lovely Botanical Gardens in the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, an open air venue- sat back to the left of where the sound guy was so I could LEAN against something so my back wouldn't YELL at me after the gig, and 20 minutes before the gig started, "Three hours" starts playing over the P.A.---coincidence?? perhaps...I know that Roger is English too, so no biggie there, but I felt this... connection...wouldn't you be amused if it happened to you too?

BTW, saw a couple of shooting stars during the concert ...kewl...

:smokin

Back