ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During yesterday's drive to Miller Park to see 4 acts: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...47-The-recent-and-upcoming-gigs-thread/page27 I brought along my import CD of Mind Transplant by Alphonse Mouzon. Many Quaddies know him from The Eleventh House Quad. Mind Transplant is a solo album featuring three guitarists with CHOPS: Tommy Bolin, Lee Ritenour and Jay Graydon. I picked this up the week it came out in '75. Some very juicy guitar licks along with Mouzon's bombastic drums. It was announced as a 5.1 release, but that didn't happen.

The very best tracks are not legally permitted on YouTube by Mouzon Music. Here's a good one that is:
Ascorbic Acid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dh2H1tYfPI&spfreload=10

For anyone who likes jazz/fusion, this is one not to be missed. Get it!

Thanks for that, Linda. I'd always been familiar with the name, but I've never taken a closer look. So this is likely another sitting, unreleased 5.1 to add to the already too-long list?

Group Photo
009.jpg

Does it have Snake Oil Gets In Your Eyes on it? :eek:

I know..I know...I thought the same way...that's why I wanted to try it...I'm not going to go all "Ralphie" on the K2HD process...BUT...this thing sounds impressive...so for whatever reason I love it..and I'm going to buy more if I can find titles I want...I'm WAY beyond worrying about the freaking pedigree...I'm not going to go in a corner in the fetal position if something isn't DVD-A..or 24/96...Oh the shame in accepting something less...heavens to murgatroyd...I heard the same thing about DTS CD's when I first came here...and of course there are the SACD haters on here...I'm over all this BS...I go where the content is and get the best sounding version I can find....I've heard of the master engineer long before this purchase...he is well respected...and like I said...it passes the sound test and IMO that is the only test that is relevant...here is some information on the process

I know..I know...I thought the same way...that's why I wanted to try it...I'm not going to go all "Ralphie" on the K2HD process...BUT...this thing sounds impressive...so for whatever reason I love it..and I'm going to buy more if I can find titles I want...I'm WAY beyond worrying about the freaking pedigree...I'm not going to go in a corner in the fetal position if something isn't DVD-A..or 24/96...Oh the shame in accepting something less...heavens to murgatroyd...I heard the same thing about DTS CD's when I first came here...and of course there are the SACD haters on here...I'm over all this BS...I go where the content is and get the best sounding version I can find....I've heard of the master engineer long before this purchase...he is well respected...and like I said...it passes the sound test and IMO that is the only test that is relevant...here is some information on the process

Ah I'm not bashing it out of hand, was just having a cheeky little dig ;) ..at least the k2hd thing somewhat depends on more than super high material pseudo-science or blu-spec codswallop.. I do appreciate if the mastering is good and all that, that it will be of benefit, so the k2hd thing seems well-meaning by comparison to a lot of the voodoo I guess.. that said, I grew up on these records as my Dad is/was (don't know if he still plays them) a huge Platters fan and it always struck me how great their music sounded even on his slightly bashed-up old Platters LPs, I suspect the original recordings themselves are really good.. in the wrong hands those recordings could still be screwed up of course, I respect that and it sounds like the engineers have done a good job here.. I might have to get this one.. such a great group.. and those vocals, man that fella Tony Williams could sing! (He died so young.. 64 of emphysema, according to Wikipedia.. jeez.. I guess too much of that smoke went down his throat not just in his eyes, poor chap :( )

Ah I'm not bashing it out of hand, was just having a cheeky little dig ;) ..at least the k2hd thing somewhat depends on more than super high material pseudo-science or blu-spec codswallop.. I do appreciate if the mastering is good and all that, that it will be of benefit, so the k2hd thing seems well-meaning by comparison to a lot of the voodoo I guess.. that said, I grew up on these records as my Dad is/was (don't know if he still plays them) a huge Platters fan and it always struck me how great their music sounded even on his slightly bashed-up old Platters LPs, I suspect the original recordings themselves are really good.. in the wrong hands those recordings could still be screwed up of course, I respect that and it sounds like the engineers have done a good job here.. I might have to get this one.. such a great group.. and those vocals, man that fella Tony Williams could sing! (He died so young.. 64 of emphysema, according to Wikipedia.. jeez.. I guess too much of that smoke went down his throat not just in his eyes, poor chap :( )

It's quite possible that the source was excellent...that could account for the sound quality..I've had garden variety CD's that sound excellent..BUT...the difference here is you get a little more "polish" on this one...normally my great sounding "normal" cd's exhibit great dynamic range but you get the occasional "warts"...this doesn't have them...and where K2 is different is that it's not a "format"...it is dependent on the mastering process for the touted "improvement"...which is more realistic and I was confident in the engineer on this project.....prior to the purchase I looked for DR numbers to see what some of the garden variety CD's might offer me.....I was surprised to see that not many examples were listed...and the 2 that were there weren't very impressive...so I thought it was worth a shot...here is what I found

Maybe this is just due to the source...I don't know...but it's enough for me to check out more of them:)

Talking about going ALL RALPHIE, ALL THE TIME, I have quite a few K2HD discs which I've always admired but while we're on the subject, wasn't it soundboy who in a recent post alluded to the fact that a lot of the K2 discs are being re~released as Hong Kong SACDs? I, for one, LOVE the Platters but will hold off in the hopes that it WILL be released as an SACD.

While we're on the subject of 'enhanced' disc manufacturing, we always had discussions over at SA~CD.net as to whether it was the careful mastering OR the SHM process or BOTH which made those discs particularly outstanding. We never reached a concensus since so little was known about the actual Super High Density Material [SHM] utilized and what it actually accomplished. But I did crack one once while attempting to apply my 'patented' disc tweakments and advised fellow posters NOT to even attempt to clean them as THEY WERE BRITTLE and advised those with car SACD players not to play them in their vehicles and subject them to high temperatures for fear of breakage.

So whether it's the K2HD, Blu Spec or SHM~RBCD processes [hey, Babe, it's still 16 bit]........what really matters, IMO, is accessing the original masters and carefully without undue EQing [or otherwise] transferring them to the desired medium....something which Clint has alluded to CAN ALSO BE ACCOMPLISHED with plain old vanilla RBCD transfers.....and without the ridiculously expensive mark up!

So whether the Smoke Gets In Your Eyes or those slick record execs are blowing Smoke Up Our Asses with these fancy schmancy RBCD disc enhancement processes....as always......Caveat Emptor and Hail Caesar!

But, and a BIG BUT: In 2016 why is JVC still messin' with 16 bit when we do have what I consider to be two superior mediums: the HYBRID SACD or BD~A ???????? And 40 BUCKS is a lot of $$$$ for a RBCD!

So, in the end, has Clint been PUNKED?

Addenda: I just placed an order w/AmazonUS for a NEW sealed copy [third party vendor] of 'The Very Best of the Platters' for about $3.50 which includes s/h.

Talking about going ALL RALPHIE, ALL THE TIME, I have quite a few K2HD discs which I've always admired but while we're on the subject, wasn't it soundboy who in a recent post alluded to the fact that a lot of the K2 discs are being re~released as Hong Kong SACDs? I, for one, LOVE the Platters but will hold off in the hopes that it WILL be released as an SACD.

While we're on the subject of 'enhanced' disc manufacturing, we always had discussions over at SA~CD.net as to whether it was the careful mastering OR the SHM process or BOTH which made those discs particularly outstanding. We never reached a concensus since so little was known about the actual Super High Density Material [SHM] utilized and what it actually accomplished. But I did crack one once while attempting to apply my 'patented' disc tweakments and advised fellow posters NOT to even attempt to clean them as THEY WERE BRITTLE and advised those with car SACD players not to play them in their vehicles and subject them to high temperatures for fear of breakage.

So whether it's the K2HD, Blu Spec or SHM~RBCD processes [hey, Babe, it's still 16 bit]........what really matters, IMO, is accessing the original masters and carefully without undue EQing [or otherwise] transferring them to the desired medium....something which Clint has alluded to CAN ALSO BE ACCOMPLISHED with plain old vanilla RBCD transfers.....and without the ridiculously expensive mark up!

So whether the Smoke Gets In Your Eyes or those slick record execs are blowing Smoke Up Our Asses with these fancy schmancy RBCD disc enhancement processes....as always......Caveat Emptor and Hail Caesar!

But, and a BIG BUT: In 2016 why is JVC still messin' with 16 bit when we do have what I consider to be two superior mediums: the HYBRID SACD or BD~A ???????? And 40 BUCKS is a lot of $$$$ for a RBCD!

So, in the end, has Clint been PUNKED?

Ralphie...you need to get the flux capacitor fixed on the DeLorean....these were produced in 1991...not 2016:xp:...and I didn't pay $40...I paid $33.99...one penny more than the Bryan Ferry SACD...your obsession with the so called "superior mediums" is noted...you should realize by this time that the medium used is LESS important than the skill level of the people who mix and master these projects...how bout an example....you can have Jimmy Page work on a blu ray audio(with your coveted metrics)...and I'll take Steven Wilson and he can use a CD as his medium...I'll give you a million to 1 odds that Steven's project will sound better than Jimmy's...with the same content...

On the subject of SHM products there are myths and facts...the common myth is that after 10 or more plays the disc sounds better...no science to support that one....I think there is credence to the material on the disc being better(in a longevity sense) but I'm not so sure that translates to something you can hear...and the SHM projects probably had the better production crew which probably helped the titles sound better...

As far as being "punked"..that only happens when people have buyers remorse...and I have NONE...I'm very happy with my purchase...btw...is your "magic" disc treatment good for arthritis...cause the WD40 I have been using isn't very effective:violin

Hearing this one for the very first time and I quite like it. What a talented man he is.

Ralphie...you need to get the flux capacitor fixed on the DeLorean....these were produced in 1991...not 2016:xp:...and I didn't pay $40...I paid $33.99...one penny more than the Bryan Ferry SACD...your obsession with the so called "superior mediums" is noted...you should realize by this time that the medium used is LESS important than the skill level of the people who mix and master these projects...how bout an example....you can have Jimmy Page work on a blu ray audio(with your coveted metrics)...and I'll take Steven Wilson and he can use a CD as his medium...I'll give you a million to 1 odds that Steven's project will sound better than Jimmy's...with the same content...

On the subject of SHM products there are myths and facts...the common myth is that after 10 or more plays the disc sounds better...no science to support that one....I think there is credence to the material on the disc being better(in a longevity sense) but I'm not so sure that translates to something you can hear...and the SHM projects probably had the better production crew which probably helped the titles sound better...

As far as being "punked"..that only happens when people have buyers remorse...and I have NONE...I'm very happy with my purchase...btw...is your "magic" disc treatment good for arthritis...cause the WD40 I have been using isn't very effective:violin

The Important thing, Clint, is that you enjoy it. I recently paid about $12 each for five JVC K2 Titles from a sale run by Elusive Disc (including Steve Miller's The Joker) and the packaging, etc. IS first class all the way. As for the longevity of SHM~SACDs....it IS a brittle material as I've read other posters have reported similar 'cracking" or shattering of discs will little or no provocation. They do sound great......that's all I know.

BTW, you and others can make all the fun you'd like about my latest disc treatment. IT's a F**KING miracle....especially on BD~A and BD~V (and ALL 5" physical discs). I always play my discs before and after and Ultra Bit Diamond + is THE best disc treatment I've ever tried. PERIOD....and I just bought 4 kits from MusicDirect at 65% off. And NO, it won't cure arthritis....only the fountain of youth WILL!

Aren't you just a little bit CURIOUS, CLINT EASTWOOD, Esq. ????????? Betcha my $3.54 Best Of Platters plain vanilla RBCD 'TREATED' will give your $34 JVC "Platter" a run for the money. Are you a betting man, Clint?

BTW, just rec'd a shipping notification from ImportCD for the Alan Parson's BD~V "Live In Colombia:" $8.37 +s/h. HIGH DEF ALL THE WAY for the price of a nutritious[?] WHOPPER w/cheese meal from Burger King!

Last edited:
My youngest brother listens to mainly 50s & 60s era Jazz these days (along with some Van Halen, Thin Lizzy etc.!), he really caught our father's jazz bug. You only have to listen to some of the 50s & 60s Jazz recordings, to hear what someone who understands the recording medium they are using, can produce from what we would regard as technically inferior equipment. As we have got more and more resolution (i.e. bits) in the recording, mixing, & mastering chain we should get 'perfect' results, but again its down to understanding the recording medium and its limitations. Some of those earlier digital recordings sound awfully 'harsh', yet others like Ry Cooder's "Bop 'Til You Drop" sound great. There are some very good technical reasons for having high sample rates (and its not to hear bats squeaking :)!) and as many bits of resolution (minimum 24 in my opinion) as possible from the recording mics all the way to the consumers speakers, but it is a careful balance between distortion and dynamic range, and ultimately cost!

Back