ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who "do" downloads, ProStudioMasters have a pretty damn good sale on "select" titles. Some real good choices too. I will probably get several tonight after work. Take a look...

PSM

Upgrading the rears to match the fronts - the old rears will go up above the new fronts as "height" speakers (for Auro, Atmos, 3D, etc.).
Unfortunately, this means no tunes for about an hour! :( (n)
But, when the upgrade is over, Baggy will be :) (y)

For those who "do" downloads, ProStudioMasters have a pretty damn good sale on "select" titles. Some real good choices too. I will probably get several tonight after work. Take a look...

PSM

I just purchased/downloaded Cream - Disraeli Gears and it sounds simply awesome!!!

Just watching Earth Wind & Fire live at the Glastonbury Festival on BBC4 in HD, really good, and before them PJ Harvey whose set was great as well, and all from the warm, dry, comfort of an armchair!

I'm savouring The Red Hot Chili Peppers' new album The Getaway and I absolutely love it! I think Rick Rubin has done some wonderful work with them over the years, but this time around they've chosen to work with new collaborators (Danger Mouse as producer and Nigel Godrich as mixing engineer) and I applaud their decision. Try it and see what you think. I think it's one of their very best. I love the artwork for it.

I'm savouring The Red Hot Chili Peppers' new album The Getaway and I absolutely love it! I think Rick Rubin has done some wonderful work with them over the years, but this time around they've chosen to work with new collaborators (Danger Mouse as producer and Nigel Godrich as mixing engineer) and I applaud their decision. Try it and see what you think. I think it's one of their very best. I love the artwork for it.

Sonically, I found the last one (I'm with You?) almost unlistenable, due to compression. How baked is this one? Brick-walled? I like me some Peppers, but life is too short for smashed music, when there is some much music to enjoy with awesome fidelity!

Sonically, I found the last one (I'm with You?) almost unlistenable, due to compression. How baked is this one? Brick-walled? I like me some Peppers, but life is too short for smashed music, when there is some much music to enjoy with awesome fidelity!

DR= 5 for the CD, 11 for vinyl. Not good.

Ever since Californication, I've grown to accept that the band, their management and their A&R team doesn't care about this aspect of record production. I listen to the music and enjoy it as it is. The only album that had something to offer (although I did not care much for it) was the vinyl version of Stadium Arcadium which was mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman in the good old days when they worked as a team.

Maybe in twenty to thirty years their albums will be licensed by an Audiophile company and we'll finally get some decent sounding reissues, if people can still hear after so many years of using crap earbuds and listening at loud levels.

Ever since Californication, I've grown to accept that the band, their management and their A&R team doesn't care about this aspect of record production. I listen to the music and enjoy it as it is. The only album that had something to offer (although I did not care much for it) was the vinyl version of Stadium Arcadium which was mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman in the good old days when they worked as a team.

Maybe in twenty to thirty years their albums will be licensed by an Audiophile company and we'll finally get some decent sounding reissues, if people can still hear after so many years of using crap earbuds and listening at loud levels.

I would especially love a good remaster of Californication. Very strong songs, almost throughout.

Back