ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks amazing! I do hope a nice 5.1 Blu-ray is released from that concert.

Many of you will likely notice that there are several posts in this thread which have now vanished. They have been removed and have gone where irrelevant and offensive posts go to die.

Here are the ground rules:
1- QQ is a forum for music and a/v gear.
2- It is NOT a place to discuss political views, grilling tips, navel lint, photos of headbanging, genital jokes or anything else that has absolutely nothing to do with music and/or gear, whether it be surround, 2ch or inglorious mono.
3- Rest assured that any future offensive or totally irrelevant posts will also be rendered invisible.
4- "ALL ABOUT MUSIC" thread was created to discuss non-surround releases and anything related to music that may not fall within any existing thread. It was NOT created to discuss things that are of little or no interest to QQ members, or that have nothing to do with music and/or a/v gear.
5- There are existing threads for CD/LP's that have been added to your pile, recent/upcoming concerts you have/had tickets for, and a host of other topics. Where possible, kindly try to utilize those threads for discussion of those issues. That will help archival for members only interested in those areas, as well as in locating posts related to those and other specific topics.
6- On behalf of the Mod team and most QQ members, thank you all in advance for your future cooperation. After all, music and a/v technology is the reason we're here.

Quad Linda
Quad Goddess & Friendly Moderator

Maybe you could just rename this thread, "All About Music... and stuff". Seriously, I understand there needs to be a catch-all kind of thread. Otherwise, like you said, there'll be new threads being created all the time for whatever tangents people go off on.

For those that don't currently own a copy of EASY RIDER you might want to grab the new Criterion blu ray version...this movie has some incredible vintage rock music and is a film classic as well..I don't know how much of an improvement Criterion could make on this film as it was sourced from 16mm film and in some parts amateurs "filmed" parts on hand held camcorders...and Sony did a nice job on bringing it back in a previous blu ray addition...since I love the movie I'm going to buy this Criterion version...and now they are having their 50% off sale of the entire catalog...HERE IT IS Here is the catalog

For those that don't currently own a copy of EASY RIDER you might want to grab the new Criterion blu ray version...this movie has some incredible vintage rock music and is a film classic as well..I don't know how much of an improvement Criterion could make on this film as it was sourced from 16mm film and in some parts amateurs "filmed" parts on hand held camcorders...and Sony did a nice job on bringing it back in a previous blu ray addition...since I love the movie I'm going to buy this Criterion version...and now they are having their 50% off sale of the entire catalog...HERE IT IS Here is the catalog

To be honest, I never tire of that movie. There are not that many that I claim that about.

To be honest, I never tire of that movie. There are not that many that I claim that about.

For me there are 2 movies that feature vintage music that are my favorites...and they are good movies even without the classic music.....EASY RIDER and THE BIG CHILL....and one that's not quite in their league...but very good for music... is Eddie and the Cruisers

You asked for a concert report, here you have one!

In brief, it has been a bittersweet experience and definitely not one of my favorite DG/PF related concerts. I went to Pompeii in 2010 and entering the empty amphitheater was a very special moment. I could picture the band in there in ’71 and I imagined the music echoing in the wonderful site.

It was something unexpected to me to be able to purchase two crazily expensive tickets to witness Gilmour’s magic playing in here, so I did not hesitate to arrange a trip over there with my wife. I reckon I’m a bit of a PF nut and the last time I watched David playing live at the RAH in 2015 was magical, I was 6 rows away from him and could almost touch him during the encores. Believe me, watching his fingers bending the guitar strings and feeling the notes right in front of your face during Comfortably Numb solo was one of the best memories I will treasure.

This time I wasn’t expecting Nick or Roger to appear in Pompeii or even a huge surprise in the setlist. I was just hoping to be surprised by a magnificent, intimate concert in a historical place.

The first bummer was the organization at the entrance. Doors opened at 19:00 and we were there at 18:30. Many people were there already and the queue overflew the site. What was a 4 people wide queue inside the venue became a 20 people wide queue outside and the entrance became a funnel at the main gates. And there we were, in the middle of the funnel, 35ºC and plenty of humidity. I was too excited (and 1,90 m tall) to care, but my wife almost fainted. At around 20:00 we were able to enter inside the amphitheater. Wife was not feeling well, so we had to stay on one side, mid-way to the stage and below one of the recording cameras and ambient mics (yes, concert was recorded professionally, the picture shown before by Tornado Red was taken by a drone). Dusk came gradually and the amphitheater perimeter was lit by round lights that reminded me of the original concert. Colin Norfield and Phil Taylor were wandering around and there was a funny moment with one of them (will never say who) flirting with one of the very beautiful event hostesses.

There were only two small stacks of speakers on each side of the stage and I was a bit afraid, thinking that they sound quality could be impacted, but sound was perfect during the first part of the concert and then a bit louder than needed on part 2 and the encores. The wind machine was not there at the beginning (bit of a bummer as I thought One of These Days was not going to be played).

The ambient noises played during 1994 concerts were used this time as well. Not the same ones exactly, as together with the insect noises, planes, etc, some iconic song snippets were introduced (Castellorizon intro, On the Run… and the pings from Echoes!)

David’s guitar sounded a bit “small” during 5 a.m., but that soon changed as soon as Rattle That Lock began to sound. Band was on fire and David’s voice was in a better shape than last year.

The first surprise was The Great Gig in the Sky. The Blu-ray release may prove me wrong, but my personal opinion is that this may well have been the worst rendition of the song, even worse than Mica Paris’s one. The last part of the ooohhhs was sang by Bryan Chambers and his voice did not do any justice to the song. And Louise Marshall and Lucita Jules were just average. David spoke to the crowd explaining that this was a tribute to Rick, to be followed by a Boat Lies Waiting and Wish you Were Here, the latter brilliantly played, to my liking.

Personal highlights of the first set were Money (full of renewed energy), the solo of In Any Tongue (a killer solo this time, astonishing) and the extended acoustic ending of High Hopes on the nylon string guitar. Goosebumps! David mistook High Hopes lyrics (“in a world of magic and miracles” instead of “magnets and miracles”, much to Guy’s amusement). A bit humorous as well was the “Italian” casual dressing chosen by Joao Mello, it’ll be quite fun to see in the official release.

On the negative side: People did not stop talking, shouting, smoking, moving around and recording the concert with their mobile phones during the whole freaking concert! We even had to move to a different place a couple of times to have a bit of silence. Why the hell do people pay a fortune to attend a concert like this when they cannot behave during a couple of hours? This spoilt the concert to me; the general atmosphere was a complete disaster.

Part two began with One of These Days. Best lightshow of the concert to me and brilliant playing. Shine on was good as well, with Greg Phillinganes doing a decent work replacing Jon Carin from last tour. Joao Mello’s sax at the end of Shine On was astonishing, really really good. The song ended with his extended solo fading away slowly but still full of energy. Another highlight of the evening. Coming Back to Life was the only other change to the regular setlist and, like TGGITS, quite a flat and forgettable version.

Band’s introduction was a funny moment, as David introduced Bryan “Marshall” and Louise “Chambers” before realizing about his mistake and laughing aloud with the rest of the band.

The Girl in the Yellow dress, with a bit of a jazzy improvisation at the end was very well played, but failed to connect with the noisy audience. People did not stop asking David for Echoes and before Today he stopped and address the crowd: “Listen guys, Echoes is a kind of dialogue between two people and, let’s face it, Rick is dead so Echoes will not be played anymore. The only thing that matters is Today”. My jaw dropped with his comment as he emphasized: “Rick is dead”. Then he angrily played Today and Sorrow and, on the bright side of things, what is it better that David playing irately? Sorrow was another highlight, even though the light show could have been much better, especially if ´94 lasers would have made an appearance.

Run Like Hell was ok and I liked a lot the blue lights in Mr Screen in the pause before the encores (I’ll try to upload a pic). Time was another bummer as, with all due respect, Greg’s voice did not fit the song at all. And, once more, people’s noise was unbearable. Comfortably Numb was just ok (with Chuck Leavell singing Roger’s verses) compared with the solos from last year (RAH, Chicago or Chile, to name a few). I may not be being fair, but I was very upset with the people around me and my wife was asking me to run way from the site as soon as possible. My very last memory of the amphitheater is all the waste lying on the floor, which perfectly summarizes the lack of people’s respect while being in a historical, protected venue. 2000 years have passed since last time the amphitheater held a public event and we’re as barbarian and disrespectful as then.

Our mini holidays continued the day after with a quick trip to Capri, a bit of sun bathing and swimming on the Mediterranean. Sweet!

WP_20160708_001.jpg
WP_20160708_004.jpg
WP_20160708_013.jpg
WP_20160708_020.jpg
WP_20160708_027.jpg
WP_20160708_034.jpg
WP_20160709_003.jpg

Thank you so much for your detailed review! I'm really sorry the atmosphere wasn't akin to enjoying the show, sadly, such is life at many concerts today. The pictures are great, thanks for that...(y)

Thank you so much for your detailed review! I'm really sorry the atmosphere wasn't akin to enjoying the show, sadly, such is life at many concerts today. The pictures are great, thanks for that...(y)

I hope the vibe will be better on Thursday here in Madrid at Robert Plant's gig. Really looking forward this one.
And already regretting having to skip Marillion tomorrow, but wife will kill me if I go...

You asked for a concert report, here you have one!

In brief, it has been a bittersweet experience and definitely not one of my favorite DG/PF related concerts. I went to Pompeii in 2010 and entering the empty amphitheater was a very special moment. I could picture the band in there in ’71 and I imagined the music echoing in the wonderful site.

It was something unexpected to me to be able to purchase two crazily expensive tickets to witness Gilmour’s magic playing in here, so I did not hesitate to arrange a trip over there with my wife. I reckon I’m a bit of a PF nut and the last time I watched David playing live at the RAH in 2015 was magical, I was 6 rows away from him and could almost touch him during the encores. Believe me, watching his fingers bending the guitar strings and feeling the notes right in front of your face during Comfortably Numb solo was one of the best memories I will treasure.

This time I wasn’t expecting Nick or Roger to appear in Pompeii or even a huge surprise in the setlist. I was just hoping to be surprised by a magnificent, intimate concert in a historical place.

The first bummer was the organization at the entrance. Doors opened at 19:00 and we were there at 18:30. Many people were there already and the queue overflew the site. What was a 4 people wide queue inside the venue became a 20 people wide queue outside and the entrance became a funnel at the main gates. And there we were, in the middle of the funnel, 35ºC and plenty of humidity. I was too excited (and 1,90 m tall) to care, but my wife almost fainted. At around 20:00 we were able to enter inside the amphitheater. Wife was not feeling well, so we had to stay on one side, mid-way to the stage and below one of the recording cameras and ambient mics (yes, concert was recorded professionally, the picture shown before by Tornado Red was taken by a drone). Dusk came gradually and the amphitheater perimeter was lit by round lights that reminded me of the original concert. Colin Norfield and Phil Taylor were wandering around and there was a funny moment with one of them (will never say who) flirting with one of the very beautiful event hostesses.

There were only two small stacks of speakers on each side of the stage and I was a bit afraid, thinking that they sound quality could be impacted, but sound was perfect during the first part of the concert and then a bit louder than needed on part 2 and the encores. The wind machine was not there at the beginning (bit of a bummer as I thought One of These Days was not going to be played).

The ambient noises played during 1994 concerts were used this time as well. Not the same ones exactly, as together with the insect noises, planes, etc, some iconic song snippets were introduced (Castellorizon intro, On the Run… and the pings from Echoes!)

David’s guitar sounded a bit “small” during 5 a.m., but that soon changed as soon as Rattle That Lock began to sound. Band was on fire and David’s voice was in a better shape than last year.

The first surprise was The Great Gig in the Sky. The Blu-ray release may prove me wrong, but my personal opinion is that this may well have been the worst rendition of the song, even worse than Mica Paris’s one. The last part of the ooohhhs was sang by Bryan Chambers and his voice did not do any justice to the song. And Louise Marshall and Lucita Jules were just average. David spoke to the crowd explaining that this was a tribute to Rick, to be followed by a Boat Lies Waiting and Wish you Were Here, the latter brilliantly played, to my liking.

Personal highlights of the first set were Money (full of renewed energy), the solo of In Any Tongue (a killer solo this time, astonishing) and the extended acoustic ending of High Hopes on the nylon string guitar. Goosebumps! David mistook High Hopes lyrics (“in a world of magic and miracles” instead of “magnets and miracles”, much to Guy’s amusement). A bit humorous as well was the “Italian” casual dressing chosen by Joao Mello, it’ll be quite fun to see in the official release.

On the negative side: People did not stop talking, shouting, smoking, moving around and recording the concert with their mobile phones during the whole freaking concert! We even had to move to a different place a couple of times to have a bit of silence. Why the hell do people pay a fortune to attend a concert like this when they cannot behave during a couple of hours? This spoilt the concert to me; the general atmosphere was a complete disaster.

Part two began with One of These Days. Best lightshow of the concert to me and brilliant playing. Shine on was good as well, with Greg Phillinganes doing a decent work replacing Jon Carin from last tour. Joao Mello’s sax at the end of Shine On was astonishing, really really good. The song ended with his extended solo fading away slowly but still full of energy. Another highlight of the evening. Coming Back to Life was the only other change to the regular setlist and, like TGGITS, quite a flat and forgettable version.

Band’s introduction was a funny moment, as David introduced Bryan “Marshall” and Louise “Chambers” before realizing about his mistake and laughing aloud with the rest of the band.

The Girl in the Yellow dress, with a bit of a jazzy improvisation at the end was very well played, but failed to connect with the noisy audience. People did not stop asking David for Echoes and before Today he stopped and address the crowd: “Listen guys, Echoes is a kind of dialogue between two people and, let’s face it, Rick is dead so Echoes will not be played anymore. The only thing that matters is Today”. My jaw dropped with his comment as he emphasized: “Rick is dead”. Then he angrily played Today and Sorrow and, on the bright side of things, what is it better that David playing irately? Sorrow was another highlight, even though the light show could have been much better, especially if ´94 lasers would have made an appearance.

Run Like Hell was ok and I liked a lot the blue lights in Mr Screen in the pause before the encores (I’ll try to upload a pic). Time was another bummer as, with all due respect, Greg’s voice did not fit the song at all. And, once more, people’s noise was unbearable. Comfortably Numb was just ok (with Chuck Leavell singing Roger’s verses) compared with the solos from last year (RAH, Chicago or Chile, to name a few). I may not be being fair, but I was very upset with the people around me and my wife was asking me to run way from the site as soon as possible. My very last memory of the amphitheater is all the waste lying on the floor, which perfectly summarizes the lack of people’s respect while being in a historical, protected venue. 2000 years have passed since last time the amphitheater held a public event and we’re as barbarian and disrespectful as then.

Our mini holidays continued the day after with a quick trip to Capri, a bit of sun bathing and swimming on the Mediterranean. Sweet!

View attachment 26683
View attachment 26684
View attachment 26685
View attachment 26686
View attachment 26687
View attachment 26688
View attachment 26689

Awesome review and account of your experience...some of the points you mentioned hit home to me...mainly the crowd behavior...it's why I stopped going to live events...it's a shame you can't "weed out"(no pun intended)the people that aren't really interested in the music and just go because it's a place to be seen or for some other social reason....sometimes you get lucky and are surrounded by true music fans...but it's a crap shoot...and I'm not a patient person when it comes to some idiot ruining my good time...glad there were other elements to your "trip" besides the concert...thanks for sharing everything with us(y)

2006-05-07.gif

*not sure it's the right thread for "music related humor" (apologies if it isn't)

Ok...attention all Deadheads....a new release coming your way...although it's just a CD...this one actually lets us know how many are being pressed...you don't see that very often...I might grab it...interesting description HERE

In other music news (as expected) following the reissues of all 8 Phil Collins solo albums as part of the "Take a Look at Me Now" reissue series, Phil will release a new compilation this Fall entitled "The Singles". More info below:

Coming out this October 14th, all of the highlights from Phil’s career together on one incredible album.
‘The Singles’ will be released as 2CD or 4LP versions, plus on all download and streaming services and a Deluxe 3CD edition which compiles all 45 of his hit singles on one album for the first time.
The artwork was designed by Phil himself using his personal ‘stick’ man – so we hope you like it!
Information on how to pre-order your copy to follow…

Here's the amazon preorder link for the 2CD edition: https://www.amazon.com/Singles-2CD-Phil-Collins/dp/B01I3RK038
Tracklisting is below:
Disc: 1
1. Easy Lover
2. Two Hearts (2016 Remastered)
3. Sussudio (2016 Remastered)
4. I Missed Again (2015 Remastered)
5. Wear My Hat (2016 Remastered)
6. Don't Lose My Number (2016 Remastered)
7. You Can't Hurry Love (2016 Remastered)
8. Something Happened On The Way To Heaven (2016 Remastered)
9. We Wait And We Wonder (2015 Remastered)
10. Can't Stop Loving You (2016 Remastered)
11. Dance Into The Light (2016 Remastered)
12. It's In Your Eyes (2016 Remastered)
13. Hang In Long Enough (2016 Remastered)
14. Thru These Walls (2016 Remastered)
15. I Wish It Would Rain Down (2016 Remastered)
16. Both Sides Of The Story (2015 Remastered)
17. (Love Is Like A) Heatwave (2016 Remastered)

Disc: 2
1. Going Back (2016 Remastered)
2. In The Air Tonight (2015 Remastered)
3. Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) [2016 Remastered]
4. If Leaving Me Is Easy (2015 Remastered)
5. One More Night (2016 Remastered)
6. Separate Lives (Love Theme From White Nights) [2016 Remastered] (Phil Collins And Marilyn Martin)
7. A Groovy Kind Of Love (2016 Remastered)
8. That's Just the Way It Is (2016 Remastered)
9. Do You Remember? (2016 Remastered)
10. Everyday (2015 Remastered)
11. True Colors (2016 Remastered)
12. You'll Be In My Heart
13. The Least You Can Do (2016 Remastered)
14. Look Through My Eyes (Brother Bear)
15. Another Day In Paradise (2016 Remastered)
16. Take Me Home (2016 Remastered)

Cover Art:
13603292_10154289768057716_5126705506376726815_o.jpg

I was perusing the BD~Vs at Blu Ray.com and noticed that for Amazon Prime members, Amazon is offering a further 10% discount on IN STOCK BD~Vs. For instance, I just ordered EMPIRE RECORDS which Blu ray.com had listed for $4.99 and received a further 10% discount when I checked out at Amazon. For those who are fans of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar [the movie]....it's now $4.75 + 10% off (BTW, it's a GREAT transfer with excellent DTS HD MA 2.0 matrixed surround).

Unfortunately, I tried to establish whether they're offering the same 10% off for AF SACDs. The answer: NO!

Back