ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other music news (as expected) following the reissues of all 8 Phil Collins solo albums as part of the "Take a Look at Me Now" reissue series, Phil will release a new compilation this Fall entitled "The Singles". More info below:

Here's the amazon preorder link for the 2CD edition: https://www.amazon.com/Singles-2CD-Phil-Collins/dp/B01I3RK038
Tracklisting is below:

Cover Art:
13603292_10154289768057716_5126705506376726815_o.jpg

With that song list I would buy that set in a heartbeat...IF..it wasn't compressed to death...but after seeing what was done to another 2016 release I wouldn't even consider it...some people on here don't appreciate the value of well done CD's...some think the Hoffman mastered Gold CD's are snake oil or "fools gold"...here is an illustration in just the dynamic range difference...and with Hoffman you get more than that....which would you want....here is the 2016 version...here is the 2012 Hoffman Gold CD...another sad case of reducing what was once a very dynamic and robust recording to a mere shell of it's former glory...Bill Inglot is sorely missed at Rhino

With that song list I would buy that set in a heartbeat...IF..it wasn't compressed to death...but after seeing what was done to another 2016 release I wouldn't even consider it...some people on here don't appreciate the value of well done CD's...some think the Hoffman mastered Gold CD's are snake oil or "fools gold"...here is an illustration in just the dynamic range difference...and with Hoffman you get more than that....which would you want....here is the 2016 version...here is the 2012 Hoffman Gold CD...another sad case of reducing what was once a very dynamic and robust recording to a mere shell of it's former glory...Bill Inglot is sorely missed at Rhino

Oh Clint.. really, that snake oil remark wrt Gold CDs is not fair at all, I'm sorry :(

I can't/don't/won't speak for others here or elsewhere who may share the sentiment of course, absolutely not.. but personally I must insist that it is the SHM CDs/SACDs and Gold CDs themselves as physical entities that I have issue with and NOT the mastering (by Steve Hoffman et alia) that is featured on them.

Please could you think twice in future before perhaps coming across as misrepresenting people such as myself who strongly hold the view that Gold CDs and SHM CDs & SHM-SACDs have no merit whatsoever in and of themselves with regards to sound quality by way of their fabrication/construction with a gold foil layer or a different polycarbonate used in the manufacture of the compact disc as opposed to the more common aluminium layer or different (presumed lesser but seemingly unspecified?) grade of polycarbonate ordinarily used?

To make my position clear, the "SHM" nature and "24k Gold" nature of SHM CDs/SACDs and Gold CDs are of no importance or relevance to me when buying/playing/critiquing said discs (show me scientific proof of fact to the contrary and I will happily reconsider my position).. no, it is the nature and quality of the source material used, the transferring of that source and the mastering of the recorded music contained within the pits and lands on these SHM CDs/SACDs and 24k gold CDs that concern me above all.

Thank you very much for that! :)

Oh Clint.. really, that snake oil remark wrt Gold CDs is not fair at all, I'm sorry :(

I can't/don't/won't speak for others here or elsewhere who may share the sentiment of course, absolutely not.. but personally I must insist that it is the SHM CDs/SACDs and Gold CDs themselves as physical entities that I have issue with and NOT the mastering (by Steve Hoffman et alia) that is featured on them.

Please could you think twice in future before perhaps coming across as misrepresenting people such as myself who strongly hold the view that Gold CDs and SHM CDs & SHM-SACDs have no merit whatsoever in and of themselves with regards to sound quality by way of their fabrication/construction with a gold foil layer or a different polycarbonate used in the manufacture of the compact disc as opposed to the more common aluminium layer or different (presumed lesser but seemingly unspecified?) grade of polycarbonate ordinarily used?

To make my position clear, the "SHM" nature and "24k Gold" nature of SHM CDs/SACDs and Gold CDs are of no importance or relevance to me when buying/playing/critiquing said discs (show me scientific proof of fact to the contrary and I will happily reconsider my position).. no, it is the nature and quality of the source material used, the transferring of that source and the mastering of the recorded music contained within the pits and lands on these SHM CDs/SACDs and 24k gold CDs that concern me above all.

I think Adam what Clint was alluding to was NOT the use of 24K Gold, per se, but taking a perfectly good master tape and EQing it to death or applying compression. I've long held the belief that the ONLY benefit of 24K gold discs was supposedly that Gold would outlast aluminum and wouldn't bronze over and become 'unplayable.'

What Clint and ALL of us want is engineers who are TRUE to the source and don't fiddle around with dials rendering the disc unplayable. Same for SHM~SACDs....not ALL are revelations and others ARE. IT'S ALL IN THE MASTERING....and probably NOT the exotic materials utilized in the manufacturing of the discs. And as I said from experience: those SHM~SACDs are FRAGILE, almost brittle and will crack if one tries to treat or clean them in any way, shape or form.

I think Adam what Clint was alluding to was NOT the use of 24K Gold, per se, but taking a perfectly good master tape and EQing it to death or applying compression. I've long held the belief that the ONLY benefit of 24K gold discs was supposedly that Gold would outlast aluminum and wouldn't bronze over and become 'unplayable.'

What Clint and ALL of us want is engineers who are TRUE to the source and don't fiddle around with dials rendering the disc unplayable. Same for SHM~SACDs....not ALL are revelations and others ARE. IT'S ALL IN THE MASTERING....and probably NOT the exotic materials utilized in the manufacturing of the discs. And as I said from experience: those SHM~SACDs are FRAGILE, almost brittle and will crack if one tries to treat or clean them in any way, shape or form.

Possibly Ralph.. I just don't want to be lumped in with anyone else who just says willy nilly; "Hoffman mastered Gold CDs are snake oil - end of story!". That is not how I feel - at all.

My take is v.simple;
- Gold CDs & SHM-CDs & SHM-SACDs with crappy sounding music on them sound crappy, irrespective of their construction/methods of manufacture used therein,
- Gold CDs & SHM-CDs & SHM-SACDs with great sounding music sound great, irrespective of their construction and method of manufacture used..

Now could that music sound equally crappy or equally great on a common or garden aluminium CD? Probably..! Possibly!?

Who knows? If you or Clint or anyone else here has anything to substantiate any claims made by manufacturers & proponents of SHM and Gold CDs wrt enhanced sound quality by virtue of their SHM-ness or Gold foil material used respectively, I will take it on board and perhaps reconsider my position.

Anyway.. its late, I'll head off before I say anything I might regret in the morning! :eek:

Goodnight all you lovely lovers of music (whether that music comes gold plated, aluminium, plastic, shellac, disc based, tape based, downloaded, live without a net, cold filtered, hand rolled, super high, little low, easy come, easy go.. the whole gamut!) Ta-ta! :upthumb

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere...new Jeff Beck coming this Friday. "Loud Hailer", listened to a few tracks that are out, sounds fantastic! Whether you like the singing or not is a matter of personal taste, but the 3 songs I've heard are well put together and man can he still rock on that guitar! Preview of 3 songs can be had on iTunes...like them all, here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6dsffOrOoI

To be candid it wasn't directed at YOU...I didn't even think of you...my point was what Ralphie intimated...the modern mastering destruction of CD's...BUT since you opened up this can of worms there is a bone of discontent on my end in regards to your attitude toward some titles...you acted as if the Santana Greatest Hits SACD disc... which I purchased... was somehow inferior because you didn't know who mastered it..even after I revealed who did the work it still didn't pass muster with you because you didn't know his work...and the ironic part was it was produced in New York..not in Asia...your attitude was very condescending...and it pissed me off because I can think of some titles that you recommended to me that couldn't come close to the sound quality of that disc you frowned upon..and I've never complained to you about your recommendations because it's a subjective opinion and I don't have buyers remorse...as it was a learning experience at the time...and then the Platters disc garnered a big laugh on your part..you couldn't resist getting your 2 cents worth in on that one as well because it had K2 mastering...so maybe you also can exercise some restraint when someone buys something that doesn't meet your standards...and I also don't believe Gold or Platinum or the SHM material makes a sonic difference and I don't believe I've ever said it did...I buy them because they usually have the better production crew..same with the K2 CD...so maybe you could also think twice before jumping into the shallow end of the pool and make sure what I am and am not representing..

Thank you for that as well:)

To be candid it wasn't directed at YOU...I didn't even think of you...my point was what Ralphie intimated...the modern mastering destruction of CD's...BUT since you opened up this can of worms there is a bone of discontent on my end in regards to your attitude toward some titles...you acted as if the Santana Greatest Hits SACD disc... which I purchased... was somehow inferior because you didn't know who mastered it..even after I revealed who did the work it still didn't pass muster with you because you didn't know his work...and the ironic part was it was produced in New York..not in Asia...your attitude was very condescending...and it pissed me off because I can think of some titles that you recommended to me that couldn't come close to the sound quality of that disc you frowned upon..and I've never complained to you about your recommendations because it's a subjective opinion and I don't have buyers remorse...as it was a learning experience at the time...and then the Platters disc garnered a big laugh on your part..you couldn't resist getting your 2 cents worth in on that one as well because it had K2 mastering...so maybe you also can exercise some restraint when someone buys something that doesn't meet your standards...and I also don't believe Gold or Platinum or the SHM material makes a sonic difference and I don't believe I've ever said it did...I buy them because they usually have the better production crew..same with the K2 CD...so maybe you could also think twice before jumping into the shallow end of the pool and make sure what I am and am not representing..

Before we all start bickering, I will agree that MASTERING is THE prime essential in delivering the sonic GOODS. Clint, I too, questioned your K2 Platters acquisition NOT realizing it was from 1993 (?) and I challenged you that I would buy the plain vanilla RBCD version (from the same year), treat it and it would sound as good as your JVC K2 Remaster. Well, I did keep my promise.....paid under $4 for said disc, treated it, fed it into my Meridian SooLoos and it sounded FANTASTIC (BTW, thanks for the off cuff recommendation). But w/o having YOUR K2 version on hand for comparison...we'll never quite know the outcome (but I'm VERY happy with my $4 uncompressed Platters RBCD).

We all have different systems, different hearing and different perceptions of what is right or wrong regarding our recorded legacy. Snake oil aside, what IS paramount in 2016 is that these recording engineers ALL get on the bandwagon and stop releasing overcompressed, LOW DR scored SHIT.

The technology IS IN PLACE to render ALL recordings past or present in the best possible sonics without some over zealous mastering engineer or hard of hearing rock 'legend' telling these engineers how to do their jobs...."louder...LOUDER!"

And MY biggest pet peeve: releasing boxsets with LOSSY DTS or DD 5.1. I often find it amusing that small labels or individual artists can release their music in LOSSLESS BD~A or DVD~A but the majors can't see fit to do the same. Unthinkable, you say, but it's still happening....and all this to save a few pennies on the cost of manufacturing a higher definition product??????

If you haven't done so already, I would advise you to listen to the new 2016 remaster of "But Seriously" (or any of the "Take a Look at Me Now" discs) instead of just comparing numbers, after all, you and many others are quick to challenge those of us who care about sampling rates and lossless vs. lossy when it comes to surround discs, rather than just listening to make a determination on if it sounds good.
Not all CDs with a more limited dynamic range sound bad or sound worse than other CDs.

Also, amazon.co.uk have posted a preorder (along with the track listing) for the 3CD edition: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Singles-Phil-Collins/dp/B01I3RMIA6

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. In The Air Tonight (2015 Remastered)
2. I Missed Again (2015 Remastered)
3. If Leaving Me Is Easy (2015 Remastered)
4. Thru These Walls (2016 Remastered)
5. You Can't Hurry Love (2016 Remastered)
6. I Don't Care Anymore (2016 Remastered)
7. Don't Let Him Steal Your Heart Away (2016 Remastered)
8. Why Can't It Wait 'Til Morning (2016 Remastered)
9. I Cannot Believe It's True (2016 Remastered)
10. Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) [2016 Remastered]
11. Easy Lover
12. Sussudio (2016 Remastered)
13. One More Night (2016 Remastered)
14. Don't Lose My Number (2016 Remastered)
15. Take Me Home (2016 Remastered)

Disc: 2
1. Separate Lives (Love Theme From White Nights) [2016 Remastered] - Phil Collins And Marilyn Martin
2. A Groovy Kind Of Love (2016 Remastered)
3. Two Hearts (2016 Remastered)
4. Another Day In Paradise (2016 Remastered)
5. I Wish It Would Rain Down (2016 Remastered)
6. Something Happened On The Way To Heaven (2016 Remastered)
7. That's Just the Way It Is (2016 Remastered)
8. Hang In Long Enough (2016 Remastered)
9. Do You Remember? (2016 Remastered)
10. Who Said I Would (2016 Remastered)
11. Both Sides Of The Story (2015 Remastered)
12. Everyday (2015 Remastered)
13. We Wait And We Wonder (2015 Remastered)
14. Dance Into The Light (2016 Remastered)
15. It's In Your Eyes (2016 Remastered)

Disc: 3
1. No Matter Who (2016 Remastered)
2. Wear My Hat (2016 Remastered)
3. The Same Moon (2016 Remastered)
4. True Colors (2016 Remastered)
5. You'll Be In My Heart
6. Strangers Like Me
7. Son Of Man
8. Two Worlds
9. Can't Stop Loving You (2016 Remastered)
10. The Least You Can Do (2016 Remastered)
11. Wake Up Call (2016 Remastered)
12. Look Through My Eyes - Brother Bear
13. No Way Out (Theme from Brother Bear) - Brother Bear
14. (Love Is Like A) Heatwave (2016 Remastered)
15. Going Back (2016 Remastered)

81fuBC2IKXL._SL1500_.jpg

Before we all start bickering, I will agree that MASTERING is THE prime essential in delivering the sonic GOODS. Clint, I too, questioned your K2 Platters acquisition NOT realizing it was from 1993 (?) and I challenged you that I would buy the plain vanilla RBCD version (from the same year), treat it and it would sound as good as your JVC K2 Remaster. Well, I did keep my promise.....paid under $4 for said disc, treated it, fed it into my Meridian SooLoos and it sounded FANTASTIC (BTW, thanks for the off cuff recommendation). But w/o having YOUR K2 version on hand for comparison...we'll never quite know the outcome (but I'm VERY happy with my $4 uncompressed Platters RBCD).

We all have different systems, different hearing and different perceptions of what is right or wrong regarding our recorded legacy. Snake oil aside, what IS paramount in 2016 is that these recording engineers ALL get on the bandwagon and stop releasing overcompressed, LOW DR scored SHIT.

The technology IS IN PLACE to render ALL recordings past or present in the best possible sonics without some over zealous mastering engineer or hard of hearing rock 'legend' telling these engineers how to do their jobs...."louder...LOUDER!"

And MY biggest pet peeve: releasing boxsets with LOSSY DTS or DD 5.1. I often find it amusing that small labels or individual artists can release their music in LOSSLESS BD~A or DVD~A but the majors can't see fit to do the same. Unthinkable, you say, but it's still happening....and all this to save a few pennies on the cost of manufacturing a higher definition product??????

In this era of selfies taken with cellphones, where people don't even bother to buy good cameras anymore, how could it be any different for music?

I believe I may be part of the last generation who while as kids, or teens, would gather around the latest releases in gangs, and just S.T.F.U. while "savoring" the music on one of the gang's hardly earned stereo...

Those were the days, huh?

*THIS is where I put the blame: "We were watching TV... watching TV... We were watching TV... watching TV". (and playing videogames all the time, cellphones, tablets.. just.. STOP!) ...and the brickwalled song headed to Trial...

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere...new Jeff Beck coming this Friday. "Loud Hailer", listened to a few tracks that are out, sounds fantastic! Whether you like the singing or not is a matter of personal taste, but the 3 songs I've heard are well put together and man can he still rock on that guitar! Preview of 3 songs can be had on iTunes...like them all, here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6dsffOrOoI

Hey, that sounds incredibly "up-to-date"! New material? Koo! :banana:

*heck.. here it is "in the page" for those who wouldn't click on the link:

[video=youtube;F6dsffOrOoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6dsffOrOoI[/video]

In this era of selfies taken with cellphones, where people don't even bother to buy good cameras anymore, how could it be any different for music?

I believe I may be part of the last generation who while as kids, or teens, would gather around the latest releases in gangs, and just S.T.F.U. while "savoring" the music on one of the gang's hardly earned stereo...

Those were the days, huh?

*THIS is where I put the blame: "We were watching TV... watching TV... We were watching TV... watching TV". (and playing videogames all the time, cellphones, tablets.. just.. STOP!) ...and the brickwalled song headed to Trial...

Ji eff.......I come from a different era where we had ONE TV in the house, One Car, NO computers and a Kodak Brownie Instamatic for 'family portraits.' Very few families had even decent stereos [or at most, table radios] and 45s were the rage.....a buck a piece with a b side.

Don't get me started on modern culture (or lack of it). The Me Me Me, self~absorbed generation probably started in the early 90's. Parents were tripping over themselves to give their children what they never had as children......Mistake #1, IMO. Instead of being parents they became 'friends' to their children. I had to work for EVERYTHING I had working Summer jobs for $1.25 an hour (which was taxable), six days a week to buy myself a decent camera or a stereo component which I very slowly built up over the years.

But I always appreciated GREAT music and GOOD Sound. But of course the turntables and receivers of the days were woefully inadequate unless you had the BIG bucks to afford separates.

Even back then Vinyl was sucky so I saved up and purchased a cheap reel to reel from a local bargain basement store with detachable speakers. From there as my 'fortunes' changed, I was able to afford better equipment including separates but I had a friend with multimillionaire parents who spent literally thousands on VERY high end equipment. Of course that also changed my life. I wanted what he had and today I have equipment which VERY comfortably eclipses anything he had in his arsenal (and I'm a NICER person, besides....he once stole $$ from me...as IF he needed it).

Unfortunately, ji eff, the disposable society has now inherited the earth. Selfies on cell phones which are replaced like underwear as new models emerge every year. You can now shoot 4K video on those cell phones which if you've ever seen some of the Apple commercials looks better than a lot of semi pro cameras. But the music, of course, has been reduced to ear buds and MP3 ....but despite that, if I was a mixing engineer I would still want my finished product to reflect what's on those master tapes despite the fact that the majority might play it on subpar toy audio equipment.

The VIDEO companies get it. They're starting to produce 4K (in Japan, NHK is working on 8K which is in its prototype stages). Movies are still shot on 35mm or 4K and better Hi Def cameras and transfers to Blu ray are usually quite stunning with great state of the art audio as well.

Why do the music divisions of these same companies feel they can get away with SHIT? One can buy a quality BD~V for $5. Why do SACDs cost $30? A LOT more work goes into replicating a motion picture even going so far as to remix an original mono soundtrack into 5.1 (and still giving the option of enjoying the film in its original mono).

My analysis: The movie companies and their music divisions are different divisions altogether but why can't they come together to ensure the quality control which exists in their movie/home video division is on par with their substandard music divisions.

Why do reissue companies (MoFi, AP and AF) do a better job at releasing audio products than the Major studios which control the masters? Nobody cares....that's why. Schmucks run the music divisions at the Majors. And seriously, why they don't fling open their moldy vaults and fling those unreleased QUAD/5.1 Masters at these reissue companies for a much smaller stipend and make some quick cash on them instead of making it SO difficult to license them and pay ridiculous fees is really C.R.A.Z.Y.

They say Lawyers and accountants run the music and movie industry. Not surprising since they're probably making ALL the money. Artists today have to tour to make any kind of real money and they probably make more on selling merchandise at their concerts than the record companies pay them in profit.

A sorry state, ji eff, and NOT likely to change. 'THEY' say that the meek shall inherit the earth.......HUH?....well, not on my watch as far as I can tell.

As a musician, ji eff, I wish you THE best of luck. It's a crazy world out there.....yes, indeedy!

I find the three disc version of the Phil Collins interesting for the additional material but I found the song order of the two disc set more logical and better programmed. I guess it's a matter of whether you simply buy these to rip them and then create playlists or to play them as they are.

I also like the cover showing the 45 sleeves. Nice that Philip decided not to show us his old face yet again. :)

I don't need to take a look at you now Mate, I'll simply listen to your songs, thank you very much! ;)

If you haven't done so already, I would advise you to listen to the new 2016 remaster of "But Seriously" (or any of the "Take a Look at Me Now" discs) instead of just comparing numbers, after all, you and many others are quick to challenge those of us who care about sampling rates and lossless vs. lossy when it comes to surround discs, rather than just listening to make a determination on if it sounds good.
Not all CDs with a more limited dynamic range sound bad or sound worse than other CDs.

That's true that all discs with a poor dynamic range don't sound that bad...BUT...I'm very sensitive to overly compressed sound and although there are notable exceptions to that rule... FOR ME... it's an important consideration for a purchase...just like your affinity for higher sampling rates..and if you notice in my comparison of the Hoffman mastered disc and the Rhino disc.... I stated that Hoffman brings more than just improved DR to the mastering process and finished product..

Let me get right to the point...if you are pleased with your sub $4 Platters CD purchase...I'm happy for you...I'm happy with my K2 version...that should be the end of it...I know you are always value conscious..IMO to the extreme when it comes to running time on a disc vs the cost...but that's OK...I've never made that an issue between us...I usually seek out deals...but I'm happy to pay more than market value for something I like...it's a hobby for me...not a business...if someone doesn't like what I purchased or feels I paid too much...I DON'T CARE...so if someone thinks I made a terrible decision...just skip my post and go to the next one on the board...it's that simple...that's all there is to it:)

Let me get right to the point...if you are pleased with your sub $4 Platters CD purchase...I'm happy for you...I'm happy with my K2 version...that should be the end of it...I know you are always value conscious..IMO to the extreme when it comes to running time on a disc vs the cost...but that's OK...I've never made that an issue between us...I usually seek out deals...but I'm happy to pay more than market value for something I like...it's a hobby for me...not a business...if someone doesn't like what I purchased or feels I paid too much...I DON'T CARE...so if someone thinks I made a terrible decision...just skip my post and go to the next one on the board...it's that simple...that's all there is to it:)

I love my music bargains but then I'll splurge on analogue interconnects (like $1200 for a 2 meter RCA pair) and/or power cords. I was not criticizing your JVC K2 purchase.....I have about 2 dozen of them and they're all extremely well mastered. And regarding your statement (or was it rtbluray).....I don't always go by those DR scores, either. Since I have a great reference RBCD player, not that it's immune to wretchedly produced cds, I find a lot of those scores UNFAIR and it IS a shame as it deters potential purchasers from enjoying them.

In closing....BARGAINS....WHAT BARGAINS....My music budget every month is ridiculous!

Tell me what you really think.. and make it personal while you're at it.. stay classy, Clint :rolleyes:

This thread is becoming VERY contentious. I feel everything I've said is either being misconstrued or blown out of proportion.

Maybe it IS the SEASON OF THE WITCH!

Back