ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What he brings is decades of studio experience...which is priceless..

Agreed, but the same can be said about Nick Davis. Besides all of the Genesis-related work he's done (including solo work for Phil, Tony, and Mike) he's produced and mixed a lot of great releases for other artists too, including the original releases of "Nonsuch", "Apple Venus", and "Wasp Star" for XTC, all stellar albums IMHO.
Now of course, some may not like his work or may prefer Hoffman's work to his, but there's no doubt that both of them have decades of experience which contribute to the work that they do.
Then, there's also the artist-involvement factor. The general sense that I get is that artist involvement is minimal with these releases that Steve Hoffman masters for Audio Fidelity, whereas in the case of the "Take a Look at Me Now" series, Phil was very hands-on throughout the entire process of putting these releases together, so the engineer cannot always get 100% of the praise or blame for the way something sounds. If the artist wants it a certain way, that's what they get.

Gentlemen, I do not wish to add to the burning discussion except by saying that I think we are very lucky that in the case of Mister Collins' work we have access to many different masterings. This leaves everyone the room to make a choice according to their tastes. I think we can agree on the fact that we are all extremely passionate about the music that we enjoy, how it sounds and how much enjoyment we get from listening to it. It's easy sometimes in this virtual world constructed on words found on a computer monitor to take things on a personal level.

We all have in our collections, discs that were prepared by unpopular engineers and we shouldn't feel attacked whenever someone voices their less than flattering opinions about the person or their work. At the end of the day though, I firmly believe that we all appreciate the other one's presence here and do not wish to darken the mood of such a friendly environment. Right about now, Snood would fill this post with dancing bananas and say that he loves you all. Since he isn't here, I'll spare you the bananas, but will say that I'm privileged to be in such esteemed company. Let's all take a deep breath and regroup for a huge hug. :)

Last edited:
This thread is becoming VERY contentious. I feel everything I've said is either being misconstrued or blown out of proportion.

Maybe it IS the SEASON OF THE WITCH!

Well it is "All About Music"... the visceral and the emotional are bound to loom large at times in equal measure.. I just try not to make anything personal, it demeans one's "argument" imho. Anyway, ho hum, nobody got hurt, we're all grown up's, we move on :)

Agreed, but the same can be said about Nick Davis. Besides all of the Genesis-related work he's done (including solo work for Phil, Tony, and Mike) he's produced and mixed a lot of great releases for other artists too, including the original releases of "Nonsuch", "Apple Venus", and "Wasp Star" for XTC, all stellar albums IMHO.
Now of course, some may not like his work or may prefer Hoffman's work to his, but there's no doubt that both of them have decades of experience which contribute to the work that they do.
Then, there's also the artist-involvement factor. The general sense that I get is that artist involvement is minimal with these releases that Steve Hoffman masters for Audio Fidelity, whereas in the case of the "Take a Look at Me Now" series, Phil was very hands-on throughout the entire process of putting these releases together, so the engineer cannot always get 100% of the praise or blame for the way something sounds. If the artist wants it a certain way, that's what they get.

This is all very true.. still, I feel artists are not necessarily always the best judges of their own work.. and while that can apply to all forms of art, music, etc.., as far as recorded music goes, I am not sure the artists who created the music are always the finest arbiters on how it should be mixed or mastered.. there's a crossover where the artistry meets the technical and one decision made on an artistic level can either enhance or be to the detriment of the other technical decision.. just a personal view, not a major bone of contention to pick with you Ryan, just maybe sometimes two heads (or more) can be better than one.. that said, things like mastering decisions made by committee can often be disastrous too, with too many cooks spoiling the broth! Yuck! :p

This is all very true.. still, I feel artists are not necessarily always the best judges of their own work.. and while that can apply to all forms of art, music, etc.., as far as recorded music goes, I am not sure the artists who created the music are always the finest arbiters on how it should be mixed or mastered.. there's a crossover where the artistry meets the technical and one decision made on an artistic level can either enhance or be to the detriment of the other technical decision.. just a personal view, not a major bone of contention to pick with you Ryan, just maybe sometimes two heads (or more) can be better than one.. that said, things like mastering decisions made by committee can often be disastrous too, with too many cooks spoiling the broth! Yuck! :p

I agree, but at the end of the day, the engineer almost always has to capitulate to the hand holding the cash.

Gentlemen, I do not wish to add to the burning discussion except by saying that I think we are very lucky that in the case of Mister Collins' work we have access to many different masterings. This leaves everyone the room to make a choice according to their tastes. I think we can agree on the fact that we are all extremely passionate about the music that we enjoy, how it sounds and how much enjoyment we get from listening to it. It's easy sometimes in this virtual world constructed on words found on a computer monitor to take things on a personal level.

We all have in our collections, discs that were prepared by unpopular engineers and we shouldn't feel attacked whenever someone voices their less than flattering opinions about the person or their work. At the end of the day though, I firmly believe that we all appreciate the other one's presence here and do not wish to darken the mood of such a friendly environment. Right about now, Snood would fill this post with dancing bananas and say that he loves you all. Since he isn't here, I'll spare you the bananas, but will say that I'm privileged to be in such esteemed company. Let's all take a deep breath and regroup for a huge hug. :)

Absolutely.. I've got a fair few discs that sound like absolute shit but I love the music on them.. and then there are those things where the sound quality is so good it can almost (bizarrely kinda) transcend the content, for me anyway.. its a funny part of my own music listening evolution I guess, cos I never ever used to feel this way, I was a "content first, presentation second" type.. but not anymore! :D.. nope, since I got into Surround music & Quad in a big way, some serious weird-ass shit goes down chez moi (musically speaking! ;) ) ...I like to think of it more as expanding horizons than lowering standards but some of it is probably, as my brother once said while I put some kinda more avant-garde surround stuff on years ago "like someone throwing a piano down the stairs!".. ahh.. now that's what I call music! :eek:

I agree, but at the end of the day, the engineer almost always has to capitulate to the hand holding the cash.

:upthumb

the-rutles-all-you-need-is-cash-51ac61a283ff9.png

In case some of you were interested in the CD by the young artists...V2-THE BEGINNING....available at most of your favorite sites...including the Moose HERE..Audio Fidelity is only involved in the distribution of this CD...not the mastering or any production elements...this is straight from Marshall...

Remember I had one ticket to see Robert Plant tomorrow? I'm sick in bed with a bad throat infection and my right ear is killing me. Will I be any better tomorrow? I can't miss this one!

Mods are ready to strike here folks and I am not going to stop them so PLEASE respect each other and let's not get personal with shit, OK? This place is supposed to be fun and relaxing. Heated vibes do not belong. Blah blah you will never change anyone's mind on the internet, etc etc.

Thank you for your support.

Mods are ready to strike here folks and I am not going to stop them so PLEASE respect each other and let's not get personal with shit, OK? This place is supposed to be fun and relaxing. Heated vibes do not belong. Blah blah you will never change anyone's mind on the internet, etc etc.

Thank you for your support.

I have to take responsibility for an earlier "dust up" with Adam...I PM'd him and all is well with us...just a misunderstanding that I took too far...sometimes when too many Alpha dogs are in the same space it happens...sorry about that:)..same with Ralphie...no problems there either..

I have to take responsibility for an earlier "dust up" with Adam...I PM'd him and all is well with us...just a misunderstanding that I took too far...sometimes when too many Alpha dogs are in the same space it happens...sorry about that:)..same with Ralphie...no problems there either..

Yes, Jon and fellow moderators....there is indeed peace in the valley from the skyline of Manhattan to the White Cliffs of Dover and London Town where our beloved fellow poster Adam is indeed SURROUNDED.

In the unity of peace, I present you with a video of German citizen Davide Martello who travels the world over with his piano on wheels spreading the gospel of music: http://ktla.com/2016/07/11/traveling-pianist-plays-imagine-at-dallas-police-memorial/

I have 1 forum meltdown a decade...so now I'm good for another 10 years:xp:

Clint, maybe you should UP your meds by adding this to your collection:p http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11482

ALL 9 Beethoven symphonies (in stereo) on one BD~A conducted by the incomparable Herbert Von Karajan for approximately $21 delivered (NEW from Amazon third party vendors). Comes with a hard covered book.

Clint, maybe you should UP your meds by adding this to your collection:p http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11482

ALL 9 Beethoven symphonies (in stereo) on one BD~A conducted by the incomparable Herbert vonKarajan for approximately $21 delivered (NEW from Amazon third party vendors). Comes with a hard covered book.

I appreciate the gesture...and in deference to Herbert...I have to decline...certainly is a "Ralphie" bargain(just kidding:couch)

Ya know...I like Elusive Disc...but things like THIS make them look bad...acoustic sounds does the same thing...

It's the price one MUST pay for neglecting to pull the trigger when these sets are announced. $75 per disc is somewhat highway robbery but no worse than Quad Open Reels on ebay going for $1K.

But at least they're offering their 10% off w/free shipping if that's any consolation bringing down the cost to $67.50 per 180g disc:yikes

Certainly NOT what I consider to be a 'Ralphie bargain' but then again, I'm sure it will sell OUT!

And since the Eagles are adverse to releasing their back catalogue in surround this will have to suffice.

Back