ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spent the last 40 minutes spinning my newly acquired vinyl of CHEAP TRICK - In Color. What a total joy that was. The album was released in September of 1977. I was a young impressionable lad at the ripe age of 14. You think I was in AWE of Cheap Trick when I first heard this? Uh, yep. Haven't really listened to this album forever. I gotta say, it's one hell of a fine rock album. To me, they absolutely deserve being in the Hall. Usually only the upper tier bands get in...so I"m so pleased they made it because I believe their 70's output is about as fine of song writing and power pop/rock as you will ever hear.

If you haven't listened to IN Color - give it a whirl, every song is a winner...no filler on this one. Anyone who doubts how damn talented Rick Nielson is, just take a look at how many of the songs are written by him. Nearly all of them. He's the real deal...

Just spent the last 40 minutes spinning my newly acquired vinyl of CHEAP TRICK - In Color. What a total joy that was. The album was released in September of 1977. I was a young impressionable lad at the ripe age of 14. You think I was in AWE of Cheap Trick when I first heard this? Uh, yep. Haven't really listened to this album forever. I gotta say, it's one hell of a fine rock album. To me, they absolutely deserve being in the Hall. Usually only the upper tier bands get in...so I"m so pleased they made it because I believe their 70's output is about as fine of song writing and power pop/rock as you will ever hear.

If you haven't listened to IN Color - give it a whirl, every song is a winner...no filler on this one. Anyone who doubts how damn talented Rick Nielson is, just take a look at how many of the songs are written by him. Nearly all of them. He's the real deal...

Cheap Trick is one of those bands I just never got into...other than "I want you to want me"...maybe I should give them a fresh look..

Cheap Trick is one of those bands I just never got into...other than "I want you to want me"...maybe I should give them a fresh look..

Well, I think I appreciate them even more now because they've been at it for so damn long. And, they still sound amazing.... On top of that, when you play one of their older studio albums, it's not as if you are tired of hearing the songs cause most likely it never got that much air play. In contrast, when I hear We Are The Champions, I totally want to turn it off. Unfortunate..but that's what happens to those over played songs.

I bought it the following summer, also at 14, biked across town and got it and the first one! Amazing records. I could put In Color at the top of my favorites. I had a tape of a live show first, that just sounded noisy at the time, In Color was so much clearer and just blows me away every time I play it. That is one record that has to be a *record*, I can't imagine playing it on CD although I'm sure I have it somewhere. They both would be great candidates for quad mixes but the first one I think would benefit the most, it is dense, must be a lotta tracks to work with and could really open up.

Cheap Trick is Aweeeeesome - Snood has all their stuff..........even the stuff that sucks......and yes there were a couple albums that did suck :banana:

The Doctor :yikes
Woke Up With a Monster :rolleyes:

But most everything else is Aweeeeeeeeesome even their newer stuff, altho have not picked up their latest cd.

Cheap Trick is Aweeeeesome - Snood has all their stuff..........even the stuff that sucks......and yes there were a couple albums that did suck :banana:

The Doctor :yikes
Woke Up With a Monster :rolleyes:

But most everything else is Aweeeeeeeeesome even their newer stuff, altho have not picked up their latest cd.

The Doctor rocks!! Man-u-lip-u-lator!!!

I'm hesitant to bring up this memory...but it is, what it is. So, I'm in high school...just learning about all the various stimulants that are available in small central IL. Voices had just come out on the radio and this one older dude, who at the time, I looked up to was a super bad influence on me. I was a junior (I think) and he was a senior. He had a cool car.....I was from the farm. He latched onto me and he would always play that song in his car...and we would (hold onto yourselves QQ...I'm not proud of this) sniff this stuff in a jar...that I can't recall the name. It was legit, we bought it from some store in Normal. Anyway, it was an instant spacey high and I'll never forget cruising in his car at 8AM waiting to go to school. Whoa.....kids.

EDIT - just remembered the name. The "stuff" was called RUSH

Oh boy...don't get me started...here is a song from later in their career...nonetheless, a big hit.

[video=youtube;tL251usi-K8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL251usi-K8[/video]

LoL - maybe one song and that is stretching it. Overall that album was the suck :mad:@:

I gotta agree with you, though... almost every Cheap Trick album has something good on it... and I also have every one of them except for the latest. a great, under-rated gem is their second self-titled album (I think it might have been on Red Ant records, or something like that). highly recommended to all!!!

Totally agree with you on Cheap Trick, early stuff is killer, if you like classic catchy power pop songs or whatever you want to call it.
First four albums and the 5th live album are all top notch and other albums after that not up to the same standard but they still put out some good music through the years.
I saw them live only once late 70's and they had the place rocking and everyone was having a great time listening to their tunes and still remember Rick flicking out his picks to the fans and all his crazy guitars including the 5 neck guitar he would play. Cheap Trick was all about fun in the songs they played and tongue in cheek way they looked and played.
Thanks for sharing and brings up good memories of picking up my first Cheap Trick album all those years ago and was a fan immediately.

I gotta agree with you, though... almost every Cheap Trick album has something good on it... and I also have every one of them except for the latest. a great, under-rated gem is their second self-titled album (I think it might have been on Red Ant records, or something like that). highly recommended to all!!!

Skherbeck check out their later album called "Rockford" released in 2006 - Very very veeeeeeeeeeery good, Snood thinks you will likey :banana:

Back