ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok..remember I said COMPARED TO THE 60's AND 70's...

That is your opinion which if fine for you. I still find myself listening to just as much albums/artists from the 80's than I do from the 70's, if not more. Plus, I know the 60's were important but there wasn't much out of that era that I listen to today because I didn't like the monophonic sound. Except, for The Beatles and Stones. (y)

That is your opinion which if fine for you. I still find myself listening to just as much albums/artists from the 80's than I do from the 70's, if not more. Plus, I know the 60's were important but there wasn't much out of that era that I listen to today because I didn't like the monophonic sound. Except, for The Beatles and Stones. (y)

If the sound bothers you...let me introduce you to this thing called surround sound......the Doors...Steely Dan...Emerson Lake And Palmer..Eagles..The Who...Queen..Rush...The Band..Jeff Beck..even the Beach Boys have STEREO now...plenty of 60's and 70's music with more than mono sound...

Eh....sounds like someone who is living in the past. I love Jeff Lynne..but wow. He could kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Have a 2 channel and a 5.1 as well.

Could you imagine some of ELO's albums in surround...I was tempted to get that SD/Blu Ray of Out of The Blue...but I just couldn't do it...I don't want to support that "imitation" blu ray...I know they use the excuse that the sound quality is improved..but they could do it the right way if they wanted to...

Wrong! The 80's had a lot of good stuff along with the crap. That list of mine is huge. Though, I didn't much care for the later 80's stuff.

I'd love to hear Shriekback and/or Blancmange in surround.

Just learned that Shriekback put out a new album a few months back. Wound up getting it from iTunes...turns out the only way to get a CD is to order it for too much money directly from the band. But the iTunes file sound great and quad up rather nicely through the Surround Master. They're stuck in 1984 and I effin' love it.

Well now we're all dying to hear your thoughts on the Quad and 5.1 mixes... ;)

I'll probably check them out this weekend...I know what the quad version sounds like and I've owned the SACD version for a few years...but I did encounter a problem with the box set...the 4 discs that are not enclosed in sleeves all have some "blemish" on them...I've never seen that before on a new set of discs...I tried to remove it by gently polishing them with a microfiber cloth...no luck...so I don't know if I want to go to the trouble of contacting the seller and getting a replacement or not...I'll probably never listen to the CD's...but I was planning on selling them...and possibly the 2 DVD's as well...all I wanted was the blu ray...not sure what I will do...

Hey, Clint...the 80's ..I have ONE group that will make you change your mind..
COCTEAU TWINS

the 80's was the last decade anything was ORIGINAL was made----grunge was the DEATH of ROCK....after the 80s everything is a pastiche of previous groups/styles...

Hey, Clint...the 80's ..I have ONE group that will make you change your mind..
COCTEAU TWINS

the 80's was the last decade anything was ORIGINAL was made----grunge was the DEATH of ROCK....after the 80s everything is a pastiche of previous groups/styles...

Actually for me the 80's was a great time in my life...and there were some good bands in the 80's just not nearly as many as the 60's or 70's..that's what I've been saying..

Cleaning out my closet...

image.jpg

Somehow I doubt SW'll get round to remixing some of these.. :eek:

Why did we buy some of these albums all over again?

image.jpg

(Getting my old LPs out after all these years.. makes me wonder why I bothered with the CDs, let alone any further upgrade, many still sound great today).. Oh yeah.. ((((((SURROUND)))))) :D

Why did we buy some of these albums all over again?

(Getting my old LPs out after all these years.. makes me wonder why I bothered with the CDs, let alone any further upgrade, many still sound great today).. Oh yeah.. ((((((SURROUND)))))) :D

Not sure if this is what you meant but...

I started buying CD's around 1988. Some were obviously inferior to some of the nicer vinyl pressings I had but many sounded better too. I had a decent-ish vinyl setup for a 20 year old at the time. Fast-forward to 1998 when I decided to upgrade my turntable/cartridge/preamp thanks to a few wildly lucky ebay wins: Wow - buying all those CDs was a screwup! (Note that I had also purchased my first Apogee converters prior to this for project studio work. My DA conversion was not the root cause of my now low opinion of what was being released on CD.) Even many regular common pressings sounded better than most CDs. There were still the bad pressings that were easily trumped by even mp3 of course but many many more that put the CD reissues to shame.

Now with the 24 bit HD masters coming out, I can say that every single one I've heard has easily sounded cleaner than even the best MFSL vinyl pressing. No exceptions. And of course now we also get surround sound delivered just as pristine.

To me, real digital reissues of older albums have just started in the last few years.

I question whether Stand Up (my personal favorite Tull) will ever come out in surround. There was a 3 CD UK import Stand Up that came out in 2010 which included a 5.1 live concert at Carnegie Hall (audio only) which was 3 fronts w/audience in rears, but NOT a surround mix of the album itself. I doubt this collection would have come out IF they felt that it would be mixed in surround. (SURE HOPE I'M WRONG!) In spite of the lack of the album itself in surround, i do highly recommend it.

618n-4zKHOL.jpg

519kWsMGztL.jpg

...just to catch you while you're smiling...

Gotta stay "optimistic"fredblue............got my fingers crossed ( numb by now ) for STAND UP.

Not sure if this is what you meant but...

I started buying CD's around 1988. Some were obviously inferior to some of the nicer vinyl pressings I had but many sounded better too. I had a decent-ish vinyl setup for a 20 year old at the time. Fast-forward to 1998 when I decided to upgrade my turntable/cartridge/preamp thanks to a few wildly lucky ebay wins: Wow - buying all those CDs was a screwup! (Note that I had also purchased my first Apogee converters prior to this for project studio work. My DA conversion was not the root cause of my now low opinion of what was being released on CD.) Even many regular common pressings sounded better than most CDs. There were still the bad pressings that were easily trumped by even mp3 of course but many many more that put the CD reissues to shame.

Now with the 24 bit HD masters coming out, I can say that every single one I've heard has easily sounded cleaner than even the best MFSL vinyl pressing. No exceptions. And of course now we also get surround sound delivered just as pristine.

To me, real digital reissues of older albums have just started in the last few years.

Great post, thank you! (y)

I agree, the quality of some reissues in the last few years has been exemplary.

You know, its a slightly surreal experience rediscovering old vinyl I've not played in 15+ years.. greatly enjoying the experience.. I'm so encouraged by what I'm hearing I think I'm going to explore SQ LPs for the first time soon and see how I get on.. maybe once the Summer's over :sun

I question whether Stand Up (my personal favorite Tull) will ever come out in surround. There was a 3 CD UK import Stand Up that came out in 2010 which included a 5.1 live concert at Carnegie Hall (audio only) which was 3 fronts w/audience in rears, but NOT a surround mix of the album itself. I doubt this collection would have come out IF they felt that it would be mixed in surround. (SURE HOPE I'M WRONG!) In spite of the lack of the album itself in surround, i do highly recomme
View attachment 19644

View attachment 19645

...just to catch you while you're smiling...
I agree. A fine album. You gotta love the inside of the jacket where they stand up when you open it. This one and Benefit are my desert island tulls.

Know about it and got it.And the Carnegie Concert is terrible surround..........calling Jakko.

That being said, the extras are good.

The disc I got a hold of only had a lossy standard dts reduction of the surround mix. Pretty insulting...
The 5.1 mix is probably just fine. It's never actually been released. Standard lossy dts reduces a music mix to mud. I think this is one of the early reissues that snuck out before IA said WTF? Stop! and brought SW on board.

The disc I got a hold of only had a lossy standard dts reduction of the surround mix. Pretty insulting...
The 5.1 mix is probably just fine. It's never actually been released. Standard lossy dts reduces a music mix to mud. I think this is one of the early reissues that snuck out before IA said WTF? Stop! and brought SW on board.

Aren't all the SW 5.1's of Tull (apart from Aqualung) also in lossy DTS?

Back