ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Moonie....I think he was bipolar....tends to happen with a lot of great musicians and artists....(according to Bill Bruford, Moonie wasn't a DRUMMER...he was a man "who hit things"...oh well)

Yesterday was Roland Orzabal, Tori Amos, Vernon Reid...and yours truly

:smokin

(Edit: also Claude Debussy's)

A belated Happy Birthday Don Krunch! :D

Thank you guys!!!

You make me feel like at home ;)

(and to quote Monty Python...

"Please stop calling me "Señor"

"But you went to IBIZA last year"

what a classic...Graham era un GENIO)

Thank you guys!!!

You make me feel like at home ;)

(and to quote Monty Python...

"Please stop calling me "Señor"

"But you went to IBIZA last year"

what a classic...Graham era un GENIO)

I also loved Graham as Don Bigles in Bigles dictates a letter. "You are a bit of tail!" ;)

Bigles_zpslsujmmvc.jpg

If anyone's really interested in Barry Gibb, he's doing a 360 Livestream on YouTube starting in a few mins, performing songs from his Miami Recording Studio:
http://www.barrygibb.com/360/

:)

Have a lot of time for Barry... what a super talented man.. we share a birthday (along with Gloria Estefan.. woo hoo) wish there was some Bee Gees music (and Guilty.. gawd I adore that album! I was playing my old LP of it the other night and lapping it up, still so good) in Surround...

Well, since Clint isn't around lately to carry the "today is someone's birthday" wishes....I'd like to mention that today is Keith Moon's birthday. He was born on August 23, 1946...so he would be 70 if still alive.

An awesome drummer with dramatic flair...I always LOVED his drumming style. One of my top 5 drummers. Oh, and GET WELL CLINT!!

Ah Moon The Loon.. Dear Boy.. the Bell Boy.. a nutter unto my own heart..! :smokin

What's wrong with Clint? :(

I love Moonie....I think he was bipolar....tends to happen with a lot of great musicians and artists....(according to Bill Bruford, Moonie wasn't a DRUMMER...he was a man "who hit things"...oh well)

Yesterday was Roland Orzabal, Tori Amos, Vernon Reid...and yours truly

(Edit: also Claude Debussy's)

Bill Bruford can take a hike.. Moonie was a misunderstood maverick maestro.. LOVE him.

OH!! :yikes Many Happy Belated Returns of Yesterday! :wave :woopie :banana:

You dodged a bullet and just sneaked into Leo, one more day and you'd be a bloody Virgo (like Barry Gibb.. Gloria Estefan.. Conway Twitty.. and err.. yeah.. :eek: )

Last edited:
Doesn't that make today your birthday then Adam?

Bill Bruford can fuck off.. Moonie was a misunderstood maverick maestro.. LOVE him.

You dodged a bullet and just sneaked into Leo, one more day and you'd be a bloody Virgo (like Barry Gibb.. Gloria Estefan.. Conway Twitty.. and err.. yeah.. :eek: )

Bill Bruford can fuck off.. Moonie was a misunderstood maverick maestro.. LOVE him.

I totally agree on the Bruford comment....

Damn, that's pretty harsh, wouldn't you say?
I mean I think Moonie was a good drummer, but very few drummers in rock music had the skill, craft, and understanding of the drums like Bill Bruford did.
His playing on all of those Yes and King Crimson albums are still benchmark drum parts which very few can play the same way he can.
It wasn't until Gavin Harrison joined King Crimson that the band had found someone equal to Bruford in skill and craftsmanship on the drums, and I would say that Yes never found another drummer that equalled Bruford's prowess. (Though Alan White is still good in his own unique way.)

Ymmv… :)

I am so hooked on Tame Impala. I simply love their combination of pop/psychedelia/electronic just rocks my world...
I have the album, which I ripped...

Tame Impala LP.jpg

Have a lot of time for Barry... what a super talented man.. we share a birthday (along with Gloria Estefan.. woo hoo) wish there was some Bee Gees music (and Guilty.. gawd I adore that album! I was playing my old LP of it the other night and lapping it up, still so good) in Surround...

Took the words out of my mouth....Barry...or any Gibb for that matter, in my eyes are simply some of the best musicians on the planet. I can't get enough. If only we could get some BG in some form of multi-channel. Wow, I'd be over the moon.

Damn, that's pretty harsh, wouldn't you say?
I mean I think Moonie was a good drummer, but very few drummers in rock music had the skill, craft, and understanding of the drums like Bill Bruford did.
His playing on all of those Yes and King Crimson albums are still benchmark drum parts which very few can play the same way he can.
It wasn't until Gavin Harrison joined King Crimson that the band had found someone equal to Bruford in skill and craftsmanship on the drums, and I would say that Yes never found another drummer that equalled Bruford's prowess. (Though Alan White is still good in his own unique way.)

Ymmv… :)

Yes of course its harsh but he was damned rude about Keith Moon, Ryan.. I felt compelled to "stand up" for one of my heroes, sorry for the offensive language, I will edit now.

Yes of course its harsh but he was damned rude about Keith Moon, Ryan.. I felt compelled to "stand up" for one of my heroes, sorry for the offensive language, I will edit now.

Those are my feelings as well. Moon is my hero (drumming wise)....and anyone who thinks he is not one of the absolute best...well.... :violin

PMFJI - Bill Bruford (retired) was an ace player both technically and soulfully in terms of inspirational ensemble playing. He never wrote a cheque his abilities couldn't cash.

I loved Keith Moon's outlandish, bombastic approach to rock drumming. Much would not exist without his contributions. He was a bull smashing up two China shops at any given moment.

From where I sit (and listen), Bill's statement is pretty accurate as compared to BB's own output. Both are great, just diametrically opposed. Viva la difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the words out of my mouth....Barry...or any Gibb for that matter, in my eyes are simply some of the best musicians on the planet. I can't get enough. If only we could get some BG in some form of multi-channel. Wow, I'd be over the moon.

Can't see it happening (although there was a preorder up back in the day for a Warner DVD-Audio of the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack at one point, that sadly never materialised.. so surround mixes of some Bee Gees' stuff exists somewhere, I guess..?).

Oh, also, I know its not the same thing but there are/were stems of 70's era Bee Gees music floating about too, Gene.. I had a "fiddle about" (thank you Uncle Ernie, I mean Keith Moon! :D ) with some a while ago but can't remember if the results were up to much.. plus my time/patience thresholds are kinda low a lot of the time, so if things like that don't work out after the first few attempts I tend to abandon them and move on.

More about Moon's style. He had absolute brutal, raw talent. You know, from the heart. There are other drummers that just seem a bit....perfect. I love them all though...Bruford, Peart, etc. Wonderful drummers....of course Bonham was another raw talent. You just cannot teach that.

More about Moon's style. He had absolute brutal, raw talent. You know, from the heart. There are other drummers that just seem a bit....perfect. I love them all though...Bruford, Peart, etc. Wonderful drummers....of course Bonham was another raw talent. You just cannot teach that.

Bonham > Moon (IMHO)

Back