ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No songs removed, please! If you don't like them, skip over them!
And yes, a 5.1 mix of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" would be very cool, and because Roger is not on that one, it should be a much clearer path to getting a 5.1 mix of that album out than it has been for the "Early Years" mixes…

The reason MLOR is so special to me is that up until that album - I had sort of "forgotten" about Pink Floyd. I mean, I had gone off into a "metal" direction personally and thankfully, I got that disc when it came out and it sort of reeled me back into the music that I grew up with. And all the rest, is history. :) Also, the name makes a lot of sense for me....if you think about it. ;)

Wow! I'm only 1/4 done ripping all my music. This takes time. Good news is, once I get caught up, I will rip as I buy. And, Once I figure out which NAS to get, it will have plenty of space...and on the network in case I want to listen out in the garage! :banana:

Bill Levenson confirmed on Facebook today that "Fresh Cream" will be reissued as a Super Deluxe Edition set early next year with the following content:

CD1: U.K. Mono album + mono outtakes, mono singles and mono EPs.

CD2: U.K. Stereo album + stereo outtakes, stereo remixes including alternate versions.

CD3: Early versions and demos / BBC recordings.

Blu-ray: 24/96 hi-res of US mono and stereo albums + bonus track.

Cream.jpg

OK, so I'm a Klipsch snob.....I know. But, I couldn't pass up these little gems.....a little under $100 bucks. Gonna give them to my son in Chicago. He will enjoy them as they are likely WAY better than his old/cheap Polk speakers. :)

klipsch.JPG

Last edited:
Wow! I'm only 1/4 done ripping all my music. This takes time. Good news is, once I get caught up, I will rip as I buy. And, Once I figure out which NAS to get, it will have plenty of space...and on the network in case I want to listen out in the garage! :banana:

It is definitely a slow process to rip and tag it all. It took me about 5 months for all the MC and Stereo, and that's not counting any Bluerays (no blueray drive yet).

Be sure to rip to your laptop... then tag... then copy to the NAS... in that order. Otherwise if you tag after you copy to the NAS you will start to fragment the drives. Homer taught me that early on.

Ho-Ho-Ho...

Can't you just picture some Christmas music playing in the background? We received our first snowfall of 2016 today....very heavy and very wet....looks nice I think.

A5C00B07-AA12-4544-892D-DBEB29CF87B6.jpg

Greg Lake's "I Believe In Father Christmas" or Tull's "Another Christmas Song" perhaps? It doesn't snow that much in this bit of Devon too close to the sea :(

Ho-Ho-Ho...

Can't you just picture some Christmas music playing in the background? We received our first snowfall of 2016 today....very heavy and very wet....looks nice I think.

Ho-Ho-Ho...

I OBVIOUSLY did not grow up with snow..but that makes me more sensitive to it...there is SUCH a peaceful vibe when it snows!!!! I can't even THINK of describing it.....wait,,there's SOLID stuff falling from the skies ..and you CAN'T HEAR A THING...WHAT'S WRONG WITH CHA???

it's absolutely magical....well, how'd you describe little chunks of ice falling on your roof and feeling so ... light???

heh heh heh...

now...SHOVELING OFF all of that snow ..well..get a machine!!

Last edited:
This article was in yesterday's (6th Dec.) Times (UK newspaper), may not mean much, but it is interesting! Edit: Sainsbury's & Tesco's are 2 large UK supermarkets that have started to stock LPs.

CCF08016_0000 (1024x602).jpg

Non surround news for now, but Andy Partridge tweeted today that Steven Wilson started today recording his new album and two songs were co-written by Andy himself!

Any Neal Morse fans here? Have you got his new one 'The Similitude of a Dream"?
I went on a NM buying spree about 10 years ago as I hadn't heard of Spocks Beard or Transatlantic and bought all the stuff he was involved in and enjoyed catching up with everything.
I have bought most of his stuff including another side project "Flying Colors" which I like as well since starting on my NM music listening journey.
Some of his last albums I did not get the same excited vibe from and I was going to pass on buying his present album on release date and probably pick it up down the road when its cheaper as the completist part of me still like to follow artists all the way through whether good or bad.
Then a month ago I started reading tweets from Mike Portnoy that this is either the best or for sure at the top of the list for anything that Mike Portnoy has been involved in, that piqued my interest more.
Mike had a facebook listening of the album where he explained lots of interesting band facts and his own observations which I found a interesting listen so I did end up preordering the album.
I have only had the album for a couple of weeks due to how long stuff always takes to arrive but have given the album 5 listens so far and I am really enjoying it, there are some really good songs on this album.
What has helped is they used to be a 3 piece band(Morse/Portnoy,George) but by adding in another keyboardist(Hubauer) and guitarist(Gillette) who both sing it's added alot to the band in vocal part's as well as in the playing department, Gillette has some real nice guitar solos in a few different places and a Hubauer written song that is on album 1 is a wonderful pop song with Beatles/Beach Boy harmonies going on in it. Most of the songs are written by NM so people familar with him know what he brings to the table which for this album I hear Yes/Genesis/Who/LedZep/Beatles/DT influences in different songs.
This is what Mike said about album:

“I honestly think this is THE album of my career,” declares drummer Mike Portnoy. “Neal and I have now made 18 studio albums together, and I consider THE SIMILITUDE OF A DREAM the absolute creative pinnacle of our collaborations together. I've always had a soft spot for double concept albums such as Pink Floyd's THE WALL and The Who's TOMMY, and I can bravely say that I think we've created an album here that can sit side by side with those masterpieces. Bold words, I know, but after a career of almost 50 albums, I honestly consider this to be one of the defining works of my career.”

Not sure if it will stand up to be in the same ball park as albums Mike mentioned but it is a really good listen and I am glad I have it in my listening library.

peter

Back