ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all due respect to Charlie Christian and George Benson, IMHO, Wes Montgomery was the best jazz guitarist EVER. California Dreamin' was released on SACD twice in Japan. I bought the first one, depicted below. The second was an SHM-SACD.

images-3.jpeg

Although not on SACD, I highly recommend the Complete Riverside Recordings box. 12 CD's of goodness, with many unreleased tracks.

images-1.jpeg

It's happened again...a Wes Montgomery sighting on another thread compels me to feature an artist...if you want to hear guitar greatness...just listen to some of these tunes..most jazz players had to take a backseat to the music of the 60's...the sheer numbers of great bands and the emergence of rock relegated jazz to the shadows...but Wes Montgomery decided to "go with the flow"...convert some of those popular songs to his style...and the result was impressive...pop..folk..rock...he didn't care if it was the Beatles or the Association..he made the songs his own...check out some of his songs

With all due respect to Charlie Christian and George Benson, IMHO, Wes Montgomery was the best jazz guitarist EVER. California Dreamin' was released on SACD twice in Japan. I bought the first one, depicted below. The second was an SHM-SACD.

Tell me Linda, how's the sound on the SACD you have? Happy enough with it that you did not feel the need to get the second one?

Is it stated that the master tapes were used for the mastering? Thanks! :)

The Japan SACD that I have of Wes' California Dreaming is a hybrid in Universal's "Verve 60th Anniversary Supreme Sound Edition" series from '05. It lists "digitally transferred at Universal Mastering Studios - East in NYC." Since I don't read Japanese, I can't tell you whether the actual masters were used, but it is likely that they were.

Perhaps Brian Moura would have the definitive answer?

I like all the other Japan hybrid SACD's that I have in this series:
Stan Getz Plays (mono & HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE)
Jobim: Composer of Desifinato Plays
Charlie Parker: Now's the Time

I have the Parker material on the "Bird: Complete Charlie Parker on Verve" 10 CD box (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), and had a CD of the Montgomery album. Both SACD's sound noticeably better.

Tell me Linda, how's the sound on the SACD you have? Happy enough with it that you did not feel the need to get the second one?

Is it stated that the master tapes were used for the mastering? Thanks! :)

I just finished listening to the Charles Mingus.."Mingus AH UM" CD and it's got great content...and with a few minor glitches(I think the old tapes were damaged)the CD sounds impressive...not compressed and easy to crank up...

For those that have Directv...this Friday at 9pm(Eastern Standard Time)on CH 239...Muse in concert at L.A.'s Mayan Theater..90 minute running time..

Thank You Clint, just set it on DVR - Snood likes their stuff, but find their live setting doesn't just doesn't excite me like the studio stuff - but still will watch :banana:

I personally LOVE the album 90125 by YES. I, like may, probably heard this album during a very impressionable time in my life....and really just didn't associate 90125 with the likes of Roundabout....or other songs by the early 70's band....

I realize, now, that this is an amazing album...it really is. I had a lot of questions recently about it...compared to their older LP's and members of the band. So, if I can - I'd like to post a little blurb I found about this album. Good stuff.

All credit for this article goes to WIKIPEDIA...from who I directly quote...

LINK to article...though, article pasted below...

Studio album by Yes
Released 14 November 1983
Recorded Sarm Studios, London, Spring/Summer 1983, Bonus Tracks 10–13, January, 1981
Genre Progressive rock, pop rock

Label Atco – 7 90125 0
Producer Trevor Horn
except "Hold On", produced by Trevor Horn + Yes
Yes chronology
Drama
(1980) 90125
(1983) Big Generator

90125 is the eleventh studio album from the English progressive rock band Yes, released in 1983 on Atco Records. It was the first studio album since their breakup in 1981. It is also the first album to feature Trevor Rabin, and features the return of vocalist Jon Anderson, who had quit the band in 1980. It also marked the first time in twelve years that original keyboardist Tony Kaye had appeared with the group.
The album was titled after its Atco Records catalogue number (for example, 7-90125-1 for the LP).

This new incarnation of Yes came about by circumstance rather than design. In 1980, members Jon Anderson (vocalist) and Rick Wakeman (keyboardist) had left the band, replaced by Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes respectively.[citation needed] The new line-up was short-lived: after an album (Drama) and tour, they disbanded in December 1980. Bassist Chris Squire and drummer Alan White continued to work together, including on the aborted XYZ project and released a single Run with the Fox as a duo in 1981.
Guitarist Trevor Rabin had left South Africa in the late 1970s and had released a series of solo albums.[citation needed] There had been various attempts to place Rabin in a band, including a proposed quartet with Rick Wakeman, John Wetton and Carl Palmer in 1980 and a proposed trio with Keith Emerson and Jack Bruce.[citation needed] Rabin tried out in Asia, alongside Wetton, Palmer and former Yes members Steve Howe and Geoff Downes. However, he had also been put in touch with Squire and White and this was to be his path instead.
Squire, White and Rabin began working together in early 1982, initially considering some of the XYZ material. Trevor Horn was also associated with the nascent band from an early stage as their producer and, at one point, it was considered having him as the lead vocalist. The trio decided they needed a keyboard player to fill out their sound. Squire suggested inviting original Yes keyboardist Tony Kaye, whose sparse style he felt would suit the new band's direction. They christened themselves "Cinema" and in early 1983 began recording what they thought was their debut album, consisting mainly of original music Rabin had originally earmarked for a solo album, and produced by Horn.
Everything changed in the spring of 1983 when Jon Anderson played some of Cinema's recordings by Squire. The song collective was essentially Rabin's musical ideas and compositions and Jon Anderson was very much impressed and so the thought formed that maybe there could be a reformation of Yes. As Anderson's professed interest was so high, it was realised that - essentially - Yes were reforming. Rabin was dubious at first, not wanting to be perceived as Steve Howe's replacement, but rather the lead guitarist for a new group. However, he quickly changed his mind once Anderson brought in some new lyrics and put his distinctive vocals on the existing music tracks.
By this time, however, the band were without a keyboard player, as Kaye had fallen out with producer Horn, resulting in much of the keyboard work on the album being played by Rabin or Horn's hand-picked production team. When the band started preparing for a tour to support the album, Eddie Jobson, who had already been considered for the job in 1974, was asked to join, which he accepted. Jobson appeared in the video for the first single, "Owner of a Lonely Heart". In order to consolidate the legal position that this band was Yes,[citation needed] Kaye was brought back. Jobson, unwilling to share the role of keyboard player, dropped out.

Released that Autumn on Atlantic Records' subsidiary, Atco, 90125 launched Yes to the MTV age and to a whole new breed of fans. The music was catchy, contemporary and well liked by reviewers and their new fans (many of whom had little clue of the band's previous incarnation). The lead single, "Owner of a Lonely Heart," became the band's first (and only) US #1 hit, driving 90125 to the Top 5 and helping it sell three million units in the US alone, by far Yes's most successful album. "It Can Happen", "Changes", and "Leave It" all reached top ten on Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks during 1984 and received heavy airplay. The British sales were not as spectacular, but still solid, and successive hits, such as "Leave It" and "It Can Happen" ensured 90125 had a lengthy chart life. In addition, "Cinema" won the 1985 Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance.
The album's logo was created and designed by Garry Mouat at Assorted Images on an Apple IIe computer, and a variant would be used on Yes's next studio album Big Generator as well. 90125 (Atco 790 125) reached #16 in the UK chart and reached #5 in the US during a chart stay of 53 weeks.

I also love 90125. Listened to it yesterday, in fact. It is a different thing than the classic Yes, which
I like as well. I can only guess that it is not in SW's 5.1 plans, but if that is the case, why not be remastered by Trevor Horn, or whoever mixed the Seal albums for 5.1?

I even have admit altough I love SW's mixes for Jethro Tull and the alleged plans through Stormwatch. I would LOVE to get me some Broadsword in 5.1.
Anyone else out there on these early 80's albums?

90125 is screaming out for a 5.1 mix. It is a great album. Certainly different from the ones that proceeded it, but then again Relayer was a very different album from Time & a Word. That was one of the great things about Yes, they were constantly reinventing themselves.

And hey, a Blu-ray of 90125 could have all 18 versions of the "Leave It" video! :confused:

Hey all you crazy hippie types....

Tonight I'm watching Woodstock on Blu. Yeah, yeah...there is only 1 Woodstock...so you know which one I'm talking about. I love this movie....it really does an excellent job of bringing the feeling of Peace, Love & Music to the masses. Great, great.... :)

Tonight I'm watching Woodstock on Blu. Yeah, yeah...there is only 1 Woodstock...so you know which one I'm talking about. I love this movie....it really does an excellent job of bringing the feeling of Peace, Love & Music to the masses. Great, great.... :)

That's a great blu...it's been a LONG time since I watched it...

Being a hippie chick, Woodstock is right in my wheelhouse. Coincidentally, while cooking dinner last night, I put on my 4 CD MoFi of the original albums: Woodstock and Woodstock Two.

Unknown.jpeg

I used to have both of them on LP and VHS. They suckered me in for the deluxe fringe Blu-Ray box, and Woodstock Experience 10 CD box (complete Woodstock sets & current studio albums by Santana, Johnny Winter, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane and Sly & the Family Stone.) I also have the recently remastered Woodstock w/bonus CD (3 CD), Woodstock Diary CD (single disc, first official appearance of Sly's Love City), DVD and 4 CD 25th anniversary box. I still need to pick up the 40th anniversary CD box:
images-1.jpeg

A great soundtrack for making far-out table candles, man!

Since it was in the low 70's here yesterday, I had the windows open. Bet the neighbors loved "Gimme an F..."

We're flooded down state Linda...we just keep getting pounded...here is a picture of our research farm on my way to work this morning...

To put this in perspective, this is a 50 acre field and 1/3 is under water. UGH

IMG_6036.jpg

Back