ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there is a thread somewhere about what I wish would be released in multi-channel and or Quad...just can't find it....

I would absolutely LOVE to hear the older Alice Cooper in Quad...I think it is the perfect fit...

Easy Action
Yeah, yeah...I already have Billion Dollar Babies DVD-Audio. It's pretty good....but could be way better IMO in in Quad...

I know there is a thread somewhere about what I wish would be released in multi-channel and or Quad...just can't find it....

I would absolutely LOVE to hear the older Alice Cooper in Quad...I think it is the perfect fit...

Easy Action
Yeah, yeah...I already have Billion Dollar Babies DVD-Audio. It's pretty good....but could be way better IMO in in Quad...

AF has found a gold mine in these quad titles...I just can't believe that the other big guns haven't started to raid the quad vaults...it's fine with me as AF deserves the business...I think the multi channel maven deserves a lot of credit for steering AF in the right direction(y)

Easy Action
Are you thinking of this?
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...for-Audio-Fidelity-Multichannel-SACD-Releases

Yep! Thanks...

It was easy with Google's "Site" search command feature. In the Google search bar type:
site:www.quadraphonicquad.com <search word or phrase>
where <search word or phrase> in this case is "audio fidelity recommendations" or some other phrase of your choosing.

So this is exactly what I entered in Google:
site:www.quadraphonicquad.com audio fidelity recommendations

The thread you were looking for came up as the 1st listing in the Google results!

Rush tonight at the L.A. Forum! Last show ever?!:eek:

It will be interesting to see what happens...there certainly have been rumors about it being the last tour..they are in their early 60's...but one thing I have seen over the years is that it's hard for some of these bands to hang it up...and many should have and didn't....I hate to see it when they stick around and just can't get it done anymore...

It will be interesting to see what happens...there certainly have been rumors about it being the last tour..they are in their early 60's...but one thing I have seen over the years is that it's hard for some of these bands to hang it up...and many should have and didn't....I hate to see it when they stick around and just can't get it done anymore...
Even if they don't tour, I hope they keep creating music... The last 2 albums have had some great music (although the compression on the CDs has really resulted in some muddy sound quality).

Even if they don't tour, I hope they keep creating music... The last 2 albums have had some great music (although the compression on the CDs has really resulted in some muddy sound quality).

I often wonder if these bands ever listen to their CD's or other formats of their music in their homes...they must not because they couldn't like what they hear...there are some great bands that produce lousy sounding products...like Rush and Led Zeppelin(as long as Jimmy Page has been involved)...what they are hearing in the studio just isn't what we get in our homes...they probably just trust the people that are involved to get it right...I'd love to be able to talk to the band members and play some of this crappy sounding music and ask them why it sounds so bad...but these people are generally surrounded by "yes" people who constantly praise them and never let the negative comments surface..

Say what you will about the production in the 80's, but Trevor Horns work on ABCs "Lexicon Of Love" is nothing short of brilliance. Damn. I want this in 5.1 overlooked by Trevor himself!

...there are some great bands that produce lousy sounding products...like Rush and Led Zeppelin(as long as Jimmy Page has been involved)...

Unfortunately I have to agree about Zeppelin & Jimmy Page. Many times I've wished that some of these artists would've concentrated more on the music, and delegated more of the production/engineering to the "professionals."

I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan for example (especially his older stuff), and he had some undeniably brilliant production ideas back in the day, some of which seemed to occasionally overwhelm the available technology of the time. The result was some fascinating but sometimes crusty-sounding music. A different engineer might've caught some of that, but I dunno who would've been able to tell Todd what to do in those days.

A more recent example to me has been the 5.1 mix of Quadrophenia. This is probably the most disappointing surround mix I've heard so far. I realize that Pete Townshend must think of this album as one of his children, but I can't help but wonder how this would have sounded had he been able to step aside a bit.

On the other hand, sometimes you have the perfect combination: the artist who is also a gearhead but is perhaps not burdened with an outsized ego. People like that can often create absolute magic in the control room. Thomas Dolby, for another 80s example. And of course Steven Wilson for a more recent one.

-- Jim

Say what you will about the production in the 80's, but Trevor Horns work on ABCs "Lexicon Of Love" is nothing short of brilliance. Damn. I want this in 5.1 overlooked by Trevor himself!

Hey! I woke up during the night last night to find that "random albums" feature was serving that one up!

Yeah, it'd be great in surround. Always loved everything about it.

Saw the last show of the Rush R40 Tour last night... The musicianship was still perfect, and the show was mind blowing! Explosions (2112), flames ( One Little Victory), fireworks, mirror balls, and lots of old school "lasers"!! Highlights were Jacob's Ladder, Xanadu, 2112, and Working Man. On a positive note, they made no mention of it possibly being their last show, and didn't play any "extras" (like you might expect at their "last show"), so Rock On Rush, and see you at the next show!

Saw the last show of the Rush R40 Tour last night... The musicianship was still perfect, and the show was mind blowing! Explosions (2112), flames ( One Little Victory), fireworks, mirror balls, and lots of old school "lasers"!! Highlights were Jacob's Ladder, Xanadu, 2112, and Working Man. On a positive note, they made no mention of it possibly being their last show, and didn't play any "extras" (like you might expect at their "last show"), so Rock On Rush, and see you at the next show!

I think if they did their last concert it wouldn't be in the US...just saying....was it a large crowd...

I think if they did their last concert it wouldn't be in the US...just saying....was it a large crowd...
There were no empty seats (at The Forum you can practically touch the ceiling from the worst seats, and even those were full!) I'm sure if they ever have a planned Last Show it will be in Canada. My son (13) said the effects were much better at this show than when we saw Clockwork Angels... But for him, it's only about 2112, so he was in heaven because they added an extra segment in the middle that they don't usually play (but they still didn't play the entire song).

I never cared for Rush's first album. Maybe, because Neil wasn't a member yet. The same holds true for Roxy Music's first album and a lot of other artists I really like. The other day, I tried listening to the first Roxy Music album since I haven't heard it in years and it still does absolutely nothing for me. Then, there are other artists where their first album is the 'only' good one in the catalog. :mad:@:

I agree about Rush's first album... Aside from Working Man, it's my least favorite of their releases. There are a lot of weak debut albums out there, but then again you've got bands like The Cars, Van Halen, and Boston who never equaled the success of their debuts!

Saw the last show of the Rush R40 Tour last night...

So what's Geddy got behind him these days in lieu of amplifiers? I've managed to see them a couple of times in recent years, and there's been a laundromat and a chicken rotisserie. :) Anyone else notice that Canadians seem to have a well-developed sense of humor on average? Maybe it's evolved as a coping mechanism for the climate...

-- Jim

So what's Geddy got behind him these days in lieu of amplifiers?
They started with a wall of amps, the laundromat, the chicken, popcorn maker... The works. Throughout the show the crew slowly removed items, until by the last two songs Alex and Geddy each had one amp, there was a mirror ball for effects, and a highschool gym backdrop! By far the best section of the show was from 2112 to Moving Pictures where old school green and multicolored lasers were everywhere... Took me back to the days of DSOTM at the Griffith Park Laserium!

Back