ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a stupid question but maybe someone can help... I'd like to rip a redbook cd to flac; I've only ripped cds to apple lossless in the past. The programs I have are Foobar2000, Audiomuxer, and Audacity. Will any of these do it, and which will do it best?

Hey Skherbeck, Snood uses Dbpoweramp to burn redbook to flac - only thing is.............it cost about 39 bux for 1 pc, but there is a 21 day free trial

https://dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm

It lets ya rip cds to flac & mp3 or whatever at once at same time and in separate folders where ever ya set them up..........Snood figured it out, so it is not too tough at all to figure out :rolleyes:

It pretty koo comes with Power converter also, lets convert flacs or whatever to whatever

Hope this helps - Happpppppppy New Year Skherbeck :banana:

I've got a stupid question but maybe someone can help... I'd like to rip a redbook cd to flac; I've only ripped cds to apple lossless in the past. The programs I have are Foobar2000, Audiomuxer, and Audacity. Will any of these do it, and which will do it best?

You say you have Foobar2000... just go to "File" - "Open Audio CD" - "Rip" ... manually enter your "tags" ... click on "Proceed to the Converter Setup dialog" ... set it up to your liking ... and rip !

Let me know if you need more info the Converter Setup part !

You can even rip to a single flac file with an embedded cue sheet (didn't even know that those could be embbeded before today!)

I don't know if you ever used foobar2000 to convert to flac before... if not, you'll probably need the free Encoder Pack (on the official site).

Better a half-speed mastered than a half-assed mastered LP.. :eek:

..I never understood why Columbia didn't exploit this huge album (which I didn't know until more recent years but have come to love dearly btw) in the States by doing it in QUAD.. or in latter days as a truly Classic album in surround!?!!?! I wonder if there is an unreleased 4.0 (or 5.1) mix in Sony's vaults... hmm..

A quad or 5.1 would be a really big deal for me. I can just imagine what an E. Scheiner 5.1 would be like, in particular. I listen to this album pretty often, and for me the best edition out there is the Mobile Fidelity gold disc. It sounds a lot better than the latest mastering out there - less compression, better DR.

Ultimate Spinach

http://www.eatliverun.com/the-ultimate-spinach-smoothie-popeye-went-on-vacation-to-thailand/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nwpmrV6EoQ

spinach-smoothies-5911.jpg

Since I haven't adapted yet to saving space by not posting attachments..I'll just list my new purchases...today I received 3 monster discs...3 Doors Down...George Benson Songs And Stories...and Ray Charles Genius Loves Company...

Since I haven't adapted yet to saving space by not posting attachments..I'll just list my new purchases...today I received 3 monster discs...3 Doors Down...George Benson Songs And Stories...and Ray Charles Genius Loves Company...

We can still do photos just have to think before we post them (I know I am doing that for a change! :eek: ) oh and there's always the bucket of photos, I'm going to try that here.. soon! :)

We can still do photos just have to think before we post them (I know I am doing that for a change! :eek: ) oh and there's always the bucket of photos, I'm going to try that here.. soon! :)

I will wait until you guys get the procedure down before I proceed...I'm not the most computer savvy person...that's probably understating it:walker

To counter that rather shocking and disturbing news about Donald Fagen in another thread, this is something that should make all you Chicago fans happy, a post from Peter Cetera on his website about his participation in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony:

Hello Everyone! I’ve just sent this mail to everyone involved. Hopefully it will answer all the questions concerning my participation in the Hall of Fame induction..Thanks

Hello Robert, Danny, Lee, Walter, and James. I’m sending this to you and Danny since yours are the only email addresses I have. Please forward this to everyone.

First off, congratulations all around on this long overdue honor. While our fans believe we should have been inducted years ago, they find it harder to believe that we haven’t even been nominated in all that time. Oh well, we are now!
All the credit goes to those who voted for us in overwhelming numbers during the recent poll. They alone deserve our thanks for finally making this happen.
I know we all look forward to speaking that evening and I’m sure we all wish that Terry was there to join us. That can’t happen unfortunately, but I have one thing that can.
As a finale, we can walk onstage together one last time as a group, I’ll strap on the bass, and we can do 25or6to4 in the key of E. I believe it would make for one fantastic Hall of Fame moment and satisfy those who have always wanted some sort of reunion.
Along with your current members, I would also like us to invite past members Laudir de Oliveira, Donnie Dacus, Kenny Cetera, Chris Pinnick, and Bill Champlin to join us up there as well on the song. They’ve all contributed to the legacy of the group and I think this would be a fitting way to honor them.
In the end, this should go a long way towards healing old wounds and showing solidarity on that night. At least I hope so!

See you all in Brooklyn, Peter

http://petercetera.com

(Only thing is that I wish Cetera had suggested doing 25 or 6 to 4 in d minor, the saddest of all keys) ;)

Got my Uriah Heep album today. Very Eavy Very Umble.

This thing sounds incredible. So Impressed...guess I need to copy it to my laptop... :)

Interesting that the normal way you would hold an album cover, well, the picture goes other direction. Seems odd, not sure why they would do that...

Uriah Heep.jpg

Got my Uriah Heep album today. Very Eavy Very Umble.

This thing sounds incredible. So Impressed...guess I need to copy it to my laptop... :)

Interesting that the normal way you would hold an album cover, well, the picture goes other direction. Seems odd, not sure why they would do that...

View attachment 24693

Since we have been asked to save space by not using attachments...how did you post that picture?..I need the step by step explanation...please:)

To counter that rather shocking and disturbing news about Donald Fagen in another thread, this is something that should make all you Chicago fans happy, a post from Peter Cetera on his website about his participation in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony:

http://petercetera.com

(Only thing is that I wish Cetera had suggested doing 25 or 6 to 4 in d minor, the saddest of all keys) ;)

Wow.. I wonder if they'll do Critics' Choice.. :eek:

Since we have been asked to save space by not using attachments...how did you post that picture?..I need the step by step explanation...please:)

Well, I sort of forgot about the picture posting...so I did it the same way I always do. Resize with Paint and save it to my laptop. I guess that's what I'm NOT supposed to do. :)

You need an account with a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Click on the upload button at the top of the page. Once it is uploaded click on it and you will get a list of links on the right hand side on the page. Click on the Direct link. Then start your reply and click on the Insert Image icon (third from the right) and paste the link in between the image tags.

An interesting programme on BBC radio, that Steven Wilson appears on, called "Compression versus Art":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06tvgp1

"Trevor Cox asks whether compression can detract from our enjoyment of recorded music - does it matter that what we hear may not be the same as what the musicians heard in the studio? How important is high quality reproduction? He looks at attempts to make music recordings sound louder and louder (the so-called Loudness War) and asks whether anything is lost in the process. And he considers whether making audio file sizes smaller, so that they take up less space on portable devices, means that some of the musical detail is lost. He talks to record producer Steve Levine (who produced Culture Club among many others) mastering engineer Ian Shepherd, the musician Steven Wilson, members of the BBC Philharmonic, and Dr Bruno Fazenda, Senior Lecturer in Audio Technology."

d60e8df6-f1ef-4b17-948b-98735d6625c2_zps10255cbf.jpg

Test 2 photobucket. You need to try this Clint, apparently I can do it, and I'm the guy still looking for the "any key" on my keyboard :)

Back