ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all - I recently purchased DVD AudioExtractor.....been having fun ripping my DVD-A discs. Tonight, I put in STeve MIller Fly LIke An Eagle and it doesn't recognize it. Any ideas why?? It's a DTS disc......

I suppose the program only works with DVD and not DTS CD's? Or is this considered a DVD? I guess I'm clueless about that....the plastic case does say DVD-Audio...but I suppose that's not right. No wonder everyone gets confused...

OK - nevermind. Foobar easily handled ripping this....all is good. I just can't keep track of what program can do what.... :)

Hey all - I recently purchased DVD AudioExtractor.....been having fun ripping my DVD-A discs. Tonight, I put in STeve MIller Fly LIke An Eagle and it doesn't recognize it. Any ideas why?? It's a DTS disc......

I suppose the program only works with DVD and not DTS CD's? Or is this considered a DVD? I guess I'm clueless about that....the plastic case does say DVD-Audio...but I suppose that's not right. No wonder everyone gets confused...

OK - nevermind. Foobar easily handled ripping this....all is good. I just can't keep track of what program can do what.... :)

I use Foobar2000 for ripping DTS-CDs... it's a free download.

Edit: whoops, sorry!... just read the last line of your post:mad:@:

Well, if it's a CD (not a DVD), then DVD AudioExtractor is not the ticket.

Is there further documentation that DTS issued some CDs of their with DVD-Audio labeling on outside package? I seem to recall that this was done. It made me think certain titles got a DVD-A after being DTS "CD only" stock from this company.

Well, if it's a CD (not a DVD), then DVD AudioExtractor is not the ticket.

Is there further documentation that DTS issued some CDs of their with DVD-Audio labeling on outside package? I seem to recall that this was done. It made me think certain titles got a DVD-A after being DTS "CD only" stock from this company.

Not sure - I bought quite a few DTS CD back in the day and never really noticed. I"ll have to give them a look.

I like it a lot...it's a fun disc LOADED with content...43 songs and quite the bang for the buck...good prices from third party sellers on amazon US HERE

YES! I love this one! (shame its not surround but it does some nice things in PLII Music..) and as you say Mr.E is a great value package - great albums that were by and large overshadowed by her work that was to come but well worth checking out now in great sound quality and all on one disc! Not much getting up required, beverage or no beverage! :D

Yowsah! Talking to Foobar on the phone, hee! :smokin

-- Jim

HA!! That reminds me... about 10-ish years ago we all went out for lunch one day (rare to get the whole family unit together in such a way even then.. impossible now) and there was a moment where somebody at the table needed to make a call but couldn't get a signal.. Mum pipes up "Oh don't worry! Here have my mobile phone!" ..we all fell about in hysterics when it emerged she had actually brought the remote control for her new television out with her thinking it was her phone..!!! :ugham:

Not sure - I bought quite a few DTS CD back in the day and never really noticed. I"ll have to give them a look.

I dunno.. afaik, some DTS Entertainment titles got released as DTS CD in CD jewel cases first and then got re-released - still as DTS CD - in DVD-A cases.. and certain titles (not many) from DTS Entertainment were on DTS CD first and then re-released as DVD-A ("Toy Matinee", "Esteban", "Freddie Ravel" are a few off the top of my head iirc..)

I don't own any DTSCDs, so I have never tried to rip one using DVD Audio Extractor. However, DVD Audio Extractor is an excellent program for making DTSCDs out of DVD(V or A) material, and that's the program that I have used to make all DTSCDs for Acura playback. :)

I don't own any DTSCDs, so I have never tried to rip one using DVD Audio Extractor. However, DVD Audio Extractor is an excellent program for making DTSCDs out of DVD(V or A) material, and that's the program that I have used to make all DTSCDs for Acura playback. :)

Oh Ryan! When you pick some up don't bother even wasting one nano-second of your time! DVDAE does diddly squat ripping DTS CDs (I was told that on here the other night.. BUT I just had to test it out for myself and sure as shit = nada..! :eek: )

Oh Ryan! When you pick some up don't bother even wasting one nano-second of your time! DVDAE does diddly squat ripping DTS CDs (I was told that on here the other night.. BUT I just had to test it out for myself and sure as shit = nada..! :eek: )

I don't know how much time and money I would waste on DTSCDs anyway. There are still too many SACDs and new releases that I need to add to my collection! :)

I don't know how much time and money I would waste on DTSCDs anyway. There are still too many SACDs and new releases that I need to add to my collection! :)

Too many new releases! What a great dilemma to have eh! Wasn't so long ago you'd remember things quite differently! :D

Many of the old Quads on DTS CD that haven't seen re-release on SACD/BD-A are, to me, pretty much essential (Edgar Winter, Poco, Wings, Ohio Players.. all terrific) beyond that it gets kinda.. more compilcated.. and on a case by case basis cos some of the new 5.1 mixes they did for the format are lousy and some are excellent! :eek:

Too many new releases! What a great dilemma to have eh! Wasn't so long ago you'd remember things quite differently! :D

Many of the old Quads on DTS CD that haven't seen re-release on SACD/BD-A are, to me, pretty much essential (Edgar Winter, Poco, Wings, Ohio Players.. all terrific) beyond that it gets kinda.. more compilcated.. and on a case by case basis cos some of the new 5.1 mixes they did for the format are lousy and some are excellent! :eek:

There are some fine DTS-CD's out there...you just have to do your research and be open minded(leave the hi rez snob part of you behind)...

I'm probably setting myself up for another disappointment...but hope springs eternal...the recent release of this title on vinyl gives me hope...unfortunately what dashes that hope is 2 words..Mobile Fidelity...where potential new releases go to die....the blackhole of the music industry...but as Dusty Springfield once sang..."I'm wishin' and hopin'" that this release will come to SACD..and another that would be high on my list is this one another one that should be in surround but isn't would still be welcome is this one..and there are others...I just don't understand the practice of securing the license and then just not releasing the title..

You don't have any of the Tull packages because they are DTS 96/24? Incredulous......:music

Good grief, this escalated quickly after I went to bed.
Ok to respond first to you, I did say DTS CDs not DTS DVDs. I have all of the Jethro Tull packages, and I love them all.
Besides those, I own many other DTS DVDs that I listen to on occasion, including "Young Americans" by David Bowie which I just purchased a few days ago.
Next, to respond to Mr Eastwood, the reason I don't have any DTSCDs has less to do with their lossy aspect (even though that is a part of the reason I don't have any) and more to do with the fact that I'm spending my limited income on newer releases (both lossless and some lossy) and older DVDAs and SACDs. In other words I'm maximizing the best of my resources for the releases that I am most interested in, so next time, consider that point before you throw the s-word at me (snob), after all it's easier to collect any and all releases when you're a successful and rich movie star/director. ;)

Back