ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My apologies, I thought you were anti any music releases which had the acronym "DTS" associated with it....be they CD or DVD. I was lucky to have picked up many of the DTS discs back when they went for a pittance because almost without exception, the mixes are great. I never did pull the trigger for "Band on the Run" and regret that one, but No...I won't pay the current asking prices either! John

Good grief, this escalated quickly after I went to bed.
Ok to respond first to you, I did say DTS CDs not DTS DVDs. I have all of the Jethro Tull packages, and I love them all.
Besides those, I own many other DTS DVDs that I listen to on occasion, including "Young Americans" by David Bowie which I just purchased a few days ago.
Next, to respond to Mr Eastwood, the reason I don't have any DTSCDs has less to do with their lossy aspect (even though that is a part of the reason I don't have any) and more to do with the fact that I'm spending my limited income on newer releases (both lossless and some lossy) and older DVDAs and SACDs. In other words I'm maximizing the best of my resources for the releases that I am most interested in, so next time, consider that point before you throw the s-word at me (snob), after all it's easier to collect any and all releases when you're a successful and rich movie star/director. ;)

Good grief, this escalated quickly after I went to bed.
Ok to respond first to you, I did say DTS CDs not DTS DVDs. I have all of the Jethro Tull packages, and I love them all.
Besides those, I own many other DTS DVDs that I listen to on occasion, including "Young Americans" by David Bowie which I just purchased a few days ago.
Next, to respond to Mr Eastwood, the reason I don't have any DTSCDs has less to do with their lossy aspect (even though that is a part of the reason I don't have any) and more to do with the fact that I'm spending my limited income on newer releases (both lossless and some lossy) and older DVDAs and SACDs. In other words I'm maximizing the best of my resources for the releases that I am most interested in, so next time, consider that point before you throw the s-word at me (snob), after all it's easier to collect any and all releases when you're a successful and rich movie star/director. ;)

Look Ryan.....it wasn't directed toward you...just a general statement..

My apologies, I thought you were anti any music releases which had the acronym "DTS" associated with it....be they CD or DVD. I was lucky to have picked up many of the DTS discs back when they went for a pittance because almost without exception, the mixes are great. I never did pull the trigger for "Band on the Run" and regret that one, but No...I won't pay the current asking prices either! John

All good, John. :)

Look Ryan.....it wasn't directed toward you...just a general statement..

If that was just a general statement, you could have done a much better job phrasing that, like saying "People shouldn't be turned off by DTS-CDs simply because of their lossy aspect as there are a lot of ones out there with stellar surround mixes of wonderful music."
But I'll take your word for it that it wasn't meant to be a personal insult, and so therefore, no offense taken. :)

If that was just a general statement, you could have done a much better job phrasing that, like saying "People shouldn't be turned off by DTS-CDs simply because of their lossy aspect as there are a lot of ones out there with stellar surround mixes of wonderful music."
But I'll take your word for it that it wasn't meant to be a personal insult, and so therefore, no offense taken. :)[/QUOTE

Thanks for the tip...but considering the post was to Adam..not you...I'm not sure this grammatical intervention was necessary...but it's all good...we all have strong feelings about different approaches to music

For those Directv customers...this weekend is a free Showtime Trial...and there were a couple of musical shows that might interest you....THE WHO LIVE IN HYDE PARK..is on Sunday morning at 8:15 am Eastern Standard Time on channel 545....later that day..past midnight at 12:40 am JIMI HENDRIX ELECTRIC CHURCH on Channel 553...

For those Directv customers...this weekend is a free Showtime Trial...and there were a couple of musical shows that might interest you....THE WHO LIVE IN HYDE PARK..is on Sunday morning at 8:15 am Eastern Standard Time on channel 545....later that day..past midnight at 12:40 am JIMI HENDRIX ELECTRIC CHURCH on Channel 553...

Thank You Clint - just Scheduled DVR to tape :banana:

A great tour concept, but a terrible tour schedule (for me):
RPS_491pxls_wide-734x1000.jpg

Here are the dates:

June 21 Columbus, OH Nationwide Arena
June 23 Washington, DC Verizon Center
June 24 Wantagh, NY Jones Beach
June 26 Philadelphia, PA BB&T Pavilion
June 27 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
June 29 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
June 30 Detroit, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills
July 02 Worcester, MA DCU Center
July 05 Montreal, QC Bell Centre
July 07 Québec, QC Festival d’été de Québec
July 09 Chicago, IL United Center
July 10 Milwaukee, WI Summerfest
July 12 Denver, CO Pepsi Center
July 14 San Jose, CA SAP Center at San Jose
July 15 Lake Tahoe, NV Harvey’s
July 17 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl
July 21 Seattle, WA Key Arena
July 23 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome
July 24 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place

2U0A1278-Edit_York_Tillyer-734x1101.jpg

“I had a successful tour with Paul Simon, who is someone else I admire greatly, and that worked so well I thought I’d like to do this again… who could I tour with? And then I thought of Peter because we’ve known each other for so long” – Sting
“What intrigues me is that when you get a good bunch of musicians together then interesting things will happen if they are allowed to” – Peter Gabriel
“The interesting thing for me is what happens to our songs when they are juxtaposed with each other’s songs. What I do will change what he does and vice-versa. The songs we trade and the songs that we sing together will have an unexpected result, we hope”, says Sting, whilst Peter adds “For me it’s partly what sounds good in that present incarnation balanced with what people want to hear. You want to try and get both sides and throw in something unfamiliar as well as the hits”.
"I’m very happy that we’re taking the chance to experiment this way. I think people will be intrigued, I certainly am." - Sting

More details on petergabriel.com and sting.com :)

Attachments

• RPS_491pxls_wide-734x1000.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 103
A great tour concept, but a terrible tour schedule (for me):

Here are the dates:

June 21 Columbus, OH Nationwide Arena
June 23 Washington, DC Verizon Center
June 24 Wantagh, NY Jones Beach
June 26 Philadelphia, PA BB&T Pavilion
June 27 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
June 29 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre
June 30 Detroit, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills
July 02 Worcester, MA DCU Center
July 05 Montreal, QC Bell Centre
July 07 Québec, QC Festival d’été de Québec
July 09 Chicago, IL United Center
July 10 Milwaukee, WI Summerfest
July 12 Denver, CO Pepsi Center
July 14 San Jose, CA SAP Center at San Jose
July 15 Lake Tahoe, NV Harvey’s
July 17 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl
July 21 Seattle, WA Key Arena
July 23 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome
July 24 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place

2U0A1278-Edit_York_Tillyer-734x1101.jpg

More details on petergabriel.com and sting.com :)

Nice find...an interesting combination with these 2...I wonder if a blu ray will be available from this tour...

Nice find...an interesting combination with these 2...I wonder if a blu ray will be available from this tour...

If they do not choose to film any shows on this tour, there's always the possibility to film a show if the tour is extended, either for more North American dates or for shows elsewhere around the world, particularly in Europe and/or South America.
I think the important thing in all of this is that Peter Gabriel is not yet finished as a liver performer. There was much speculation that he wouldn't tour again after "Back to Front" so I'm very happy to see him at it once again. (Sting is a live animal, so there's no surprise to me that he's still continuing in one way or another.) :)

For those that appreciate the better discs and don't mind paying a premium for them...I noticed one that is an excellent disc...I paid over a $100 for mine(brand new)and this title doesn't surface that often.....there is one on Ebay now for $70...which is a good price for this title(used)..but amazon has an even better price...2 third party sellers with a great price on amazon here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009P1OD?qid=1453228744&ref_=tmm_dva_swatch_0&sr=8-1

For those that appreciate the better discs and don't mind paying a premium for them...I noticed one that is an excellent disc...I paid over a $100 for mine(brand new)and this title doesn't surface that often.....there is one on Ebay now for $70...which is a good price for this title(used)..but amazon has an even better price...2 third party sellers with a great price on amazon here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009P1OD?qid=1453228744&ref_=tmm_dva_swatch_0&sr=8-1

Clint, I echo your sentiment regarding the Warner/Rhino MLP DVD~A 5.1 of Chicago II. A really excellent album. Well worth adding to one's collection. Now, if Audio Fidelity would only license the DTS 4.0 of the Chicago Transit Authority and release it in higher res SACD! Maybe down the pike since MoFi just released the stereo only SACD (DANG!)

Just received confirmation from Deep Discount today that my Steve Wilson BD~A/V of 4 1/2 has shipped. A REAL bargain at $10.91 delivered {with DD's recent 15% off promo].

Back