ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah - nothing to do with music whatsoever...just trying my photobucket picture posting...seems we've all had some recent trouble understanding how to post the pic and not the damn link...
Maui160.jpg

Nah - nothing to do with music whatsoever...just trying my photobucket picture posting...seems we've all had some recent trouble understanding how to post the pic and not the damn link...
Maui160.jpg

(Here's a little photobucket gag for you all, I thought was apt with the Audi in Gene's pic.. since my Daddy used to have an Audi Avant when I were a nipper..)

- Oh I take an avant garde approach to photobucket..
- What's that?
- I avant garde a friggin clue..!!!

:ugham:

(Here's a little photobucket gag for you all, I thought was apt with the Audi in Gene's pic.. since my Daddy used to have an Audi Avant when I were a nipper..)

- Oh I take an avant garde approach to photobucket..
- What's that?
- I avant garde a friggin clue..!!!

:ugham:

hehe - and that's also Gene in Gene's picture getting in the Audi. lol. Vacation in Maui a few years ago... :)

I almost hate to ask this question, but it's been sort of bugging me. No clue where to post this, so placing it here.

The topic is listening to Stereo or Multi-Channel from laptop to Denon AVR. Some history.

1. Via HDMI, I have laptop hooked to Denon AUX2 port.
2. I have my Harmony ONE programmed to turn everything on and it sets the music format to STEREO. And, the 2.1 speaker buttons illuminate on front of Denon.
3. If I open Foobar and select a 2 channel song to play...it simply stays on STEREO and for sure is playing in stereo and speaker buttons stay 2.1
4. If I then decide to play a 5.1 multi-channel song next (after playing stereo), it will switch to MULTI CHANNEL IN and clearly will be playing in 5.1. Additional, at this point all 5.1 speaker buttons light up on front of Denon.

So far, so good....I guess.

5. Now, if I then switch back to a stereo song (after playing a 5.1 song), it doesn't switch back to STEREO, but remains on MULTI CHANNEL IN, all 5.1 speakers are still illuminated...BUT, it is clearly playing stereo. Seems odd it behaves this way.

I guess if what is coming out of the speakers is correct, I shouldn't worry. But I'm a little OCD about this kind of stuff and would rather it switch back to STEREO and only illuminate the 2.1 speakers.

Anyone understand what I mean, and better yet is there some setting I can switch to make it behave a little more?

I would say that your laptop hasn't switched the HDMI stream back to stereo so you amp thinks its still 5.1 (it won't do any damage). I would suspect that either Foobar hasn't sent the correct code to the driver software which outputs the audio over HDMI on your laptop or the driver software on your laptop hasn't recognised/spotted it should be outputting 5.1.

I almost hate to ask this question, but it's been sort of bugging me. No clue where to post this, so placing it here.

The topic is listening to Stereo or Multi-Channel from laptop to Denon AVR. Some history.

1. Via HDMI, I have laptop hooked to Denon AUX2 port.
2. I have my Harmony ONE programmed to turn everything on and it sets the music format to STEREO. And, the 2.1 speaker buttons illuminate on front of Denon.
3. If I open Foobar and select a 2 channel song to play...it simply stays on STEREO and for sure is playing in stereo and speaker buttons stay 2.1
4. If I then decide to play a 5.1 multi-channel song next (after playing stereo), it will switch to MULTI CHANNEL IN and clearly will be playing in 5.1. Additional, at this point all 5.1 speaker buttons light up on front of Denon.

So far, so good....I guess.

5. Now, if I then switch back to a stereo song (after playing a 5.1 song), it doesn't switch back to STEREO, but remains on MULTI CHANNEL IN, all 5.1 speakers are still illuminated...BUT, it is clearly playing stereo. Seems odd it behaves this way.

I guess if what is coming out of the speakers is correct, I shouldn't worry. But I'm a little OCD about this kind of stuff and would rather it switch back to STEREO and only illuminate the 2.1 speakers.

Anyone understand what I mean, and better yet is there some setting I can switch to make it behave a little more?

I notice this Blu-ray Audio is out for preorder. Of course, I've not heard of any of this - but checking out some on youtube...I sort of like it. Some sort of choir type stuff....here is a screenshot of the back cover so you can see the songs and audio options...

Capture.JPG

Going vinyl for a bit tonight. Spinning Vol 4 by the unsurpassable Sabbath!

Awesome. I have the RBCD's of course, ripped and ran through my DAC but have wondered about the 24/96 HDtracks. You heard anything?

No, I have not ventured out and got SAbbath in 24/96. Believe me...I am curious. OK, maybe I'll buy one tonight. A little Cabernet for the weekend puts me in the mood.

Dammit - I can be so influenced.... So I just bought Sabbath - Master Of Reality from Acoustic Sounds 96/24 download....I got it because it's one of the few remasters I didn't buy on vinyl....so figured it was worth a shot to see how it sounds.

Dammit - I can be so influenced.... So I just bought Sabbath - Master Of Reality from Acoustic Sounds 96/24 download....I got it because it's one of the few remasters I didn't buy on vinyl....so figured it was worth a shot to see how it sounds.
OK, man, you are my best friend now. I am waiting for your listening Sabbath experience in Hi Res download. Is it worth the money, that is the question. I believe it will sound better but how much and at what cost, cuz double dipping sucks. Lets take the 16bit Led Zep remasters for instance. They are better as 24bit downloads but only by a little bit, so I remain cautious, but I trust you, so I will wait.

OK, man, you are my best friend now. I am waiting for your listening Sabbath experience in Hi Res download. Is it worth the money, that is the question. I believe it will sound better but how much and at what cost, cuz double dipping sucks. Lets take the 16bit Led Zep remasters for instance. They are better as 24bit downloads but only by a little bit, so I remain cautious, but I trust you, so I will wait.

OK, I just took one for the team. I cannot tell 1 ounce of difference between my old Master of Reality CD and the HI-Rez download. NOne. I checked the DR on both via Foobar and they are essentially identical. That is to say, both very good. So...if you don't have the CD, then get the download. IF you have the CD...don't bother.

Anyone buy the two 2016 Sabbath releases - Paranoid and Black Sabbath? Wondering how they sound.

OK, I just took one for the team. I cannot tell 1 ounce of difference between my old Master of Reality CD and the HI-Rez download. NOne. I checked the DR on both via Foobar and they are essentially identical. That is to say, both very good. So...if you don't have the CD, then get the download. IF you have the CD...don't bother.
Thanks, sorry about that. I am off to the liquor store, Judy Collins, Bread, and America, did me in. DVD-A T.Rex 5.1 when I come back.

Back