ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hahahahaha! You are killing me...the way you wrote your description reminds me of a thread I started on another forum where I reviewed beers.... :)

Hey, don't laugh. I worked hard on that one. :ugham: LOL!!! Seriously, I really tried to visualize what I was tasting. It sounds strange, but different foods and smells came to mind...and I got feeling pretty good along the way. :mad:@:

Oh the Trappist brews! I was in Belgium once to give a paper at a conference, met up with a Belgian friend and her husband the night before and went to a bar in Brussels which served 400 different beers, all Ok up to that point. However, I imbibed on a few too many Trappist brews and one beer where the English translation of its name is "Sudden Death". Needless to say the presentation of the paper did not go as well as it should have! :brew

BTW there is a beer brewed in the Blue Anchor Pub in Helston, Cornwall, UK called "Spingo" it initially affects you in the legs then works its way upwards, and avoid their Winter Brew unless you plan to hibernate!

Don't do it Lute, save it for a special occasion. The three bottles are the standard offerings for the Westvleteren Trappist. Very nice stuff indeed but yours might be even better in a few years.

I'm sure this question has been asked nearly 500 times...sorry. My buddy has a MAC and he absolutely loves Foobar2000 that I showed him. Unfortunately ( I have NO clue why) there is no foobar for MAC.

Is there a similar player that can do MOST of what Foobar does that would work with a MAC? I bet not...or I"d be hearing about it.

I'm sure this question has been asked nearly 500 times...sorry. My buddy has a MAC and he absolutely loves Foobar2000 that I showed him. Unfortunately ( I have NO clue why) there is no foobar for MAC.

Is there a similar player that can do MOST of what Foobar does that would work with a MAC? I bet not...or I"d be hearing about it.

Hi Gene, what is important to him, the looks or the formats Foobar can play?

Hi Gene, what is important to him, the looks or the formats Foobar can play?

I know he likes how mine looks - but at the moment, he is just getting into downloads and or borrowing my flac files. So, he just needs a player that can handle all the various formats and play it in the correct output (2 channel, multi, etc). Oh, and work on a MAC

I know he likes how mine looks - but at the moment, he is just getting into downloads and or borrowing my flac files. So, he just needs a player that can handle all the various formats and play it in the correct output (2 channel, multi, etc). Oh, and work on a MAC

OK, this is what I found as a Mac NOOB first class, just trying to help not saying it works :couch

The poignancy and genuineness when Steven Wilson speaks is just incredible and especially very moving towards the very end. Enjoy! :)

[video=youtube;eFO33Hark-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFO33Hark-k&spfreload=10[/video]

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's Foobar.

VLC does it all (its not pretty but it works) flawlessly via HDMI.

OK, this is what I found as a Mac NOOB first class, just trying to help not saying it works :couch

A lot of these apps don't work/work properly since Apple updated to El CRapitan... or at least I've been unable to get them to work.. VLC is virtually bomb proof, it plays just about everything in surround.

Oh and the magic trick touched upon in that piece of turning MultiCh FLACs into MultiCh ALACs to playback in iTunes doesn't work, or at least I couldn't get it to work, the channels were all wrongly assigned in the process (one of the channels was mapped twice to two different channels.. and the arrangement was all wrong.. I forget exactly now but just yuck.)

Oh and.. KODI works with surround too, channels are all output correctly etc., its prettier than VLC, which isn't hard.. but its a little clunky still, I keep going back to VLC "it just works" blah blah.

I was looking for other versions of Steven Wilson's Lazarus on YouTube awhile ago and started playing a version with no video, just his picture. I was using my iPad and found myself thoroughly enjoying the tune via the little tinny speakers. Most of us have continued the escalation of gear over the years to where we are now, playing our surround music in a most enjoyable fashion. I'm no different, being quite content with the equipment I have, lots of speakers, gobs of power...but something struck me while listening through the iPad. It took me back to the late 60s - early 70s, to the east coast where I grew up. After school meant coming home and taking my portable Sony AM radio up to the railway tracks behind our house. There was a place tucked away on an overpass where I'd sit and listen to tunes for a couple of hours. Up Around The Bend springs to mind as one of them, not sure why that one popped into my head. We had a "coffin" console at home where I could spin records (the few I had), but there was something about being alone with that little transistor radio. The music transported me somewhere else, and in looking back now through 60 year old eyes I can see that I was hooked then....as perhaps were many of you. So listening to the iPad has made me realize that it's not what I'm listening to the music on, it's that I'm listening to the music. I certainly enjoy what comes out of my speakers these days, but you could take it all away and I'd still be happy as long as I had a little AM radio close to my ear. Take away the amp, and the Oppo and all the speakers...just don't take away the music. :)

Released 40 years ago today (Jan 23, 1976): David Bowie's brilliant Station to Station album. I'm gonna crank up the vinyl in tribute and appreciation. (Playing the dreadful 5.1 would be a disservice.)

Station_to_Station_cover_zpsqoywbkle.jpg

I was looking for other versions of Steven Wilson's Lazarus on YouTube awhile ago and started playing a version with no video, just his picture. I was using my iPad and found myself thoroughly enjoying the tune via the little tinny speakers. Most of us have continued the escalation of gear over the years to where we are now, playing our surround music in a most enjoyable fashion. I'm no different, being quite content with the equipment I have, lots of speakers, gobs of power...but something struck me while listening through the iPad. It took me back to the late 60s - early 70s, to the east coast where I grew up. After school meant coming home and taking my portable Sony AM radio up to the railway tracks behind our house. There was a place tucked away on an overpass where I'd sit and listen to tunes for a couple of hours. Up Around The Bend springs to mind as one of them, not sure why that one popped into my head. We had a "coffin" console at home where I could spin records (the few I had), but there was something about being alone with that little transistor radio. The music transported me somewhere else, and in looking back now through 60 year old eyes I can see that I was hooked then....as perhaps were many of you. So listening to the iPad has made me realize that it's not what I'm listening to the music on, it's that I'm listening to the music. I certainly enjoy what comes out of my speakers these days, but you could take it all away and I'd still be happy as long as I had a little AM radio close to my ear. Take away the amp, and the Oppo and all the speakers...just don't take away the music. :)

These are the BEST stories...when we connect music to our past. I have so many wonderful memories of my childhood, and up through teen years...and all of them include music. I have similar memories.

I grew up (as many of you might already know) in a very rural community. The farm life you know....folks raised cattle and corn & soybeans for a living. That meant us kids helped with all the farm work...and most certainly didn't paid for it. In fact, I remember in the fall time, I was excused to leave school early (2PM) to go help my dad with harvest....

Anyway, so we had a very, very modest farm house that was situated on a hill with a great view to the west. We lived on a gravel road that was only frequented by the weekend high school kids looking for a place to park their cars and party. It was called "Moore's Hill" Well, that's because we, the Moore's, were the only house on that road. They had a picnic table, couple trash cans and that's it. I used to lay in my upstairs bedroom...which was conveniently facing that Moore's Hill....and I had my little red Realistic AM radio in my window. Bed was shoved up against that window so I could gaze up the hill and listen to all those "older guys" yelling and partying. Every once in a a while, when the wind was in the right direction, I could hear them playing the same songs that I had heard on my radio.....and I just didn't quite understand how that could be. AT the time, I didn't understand what they were doing...didn't matter. I listened to the great WLS AM 89 from Chicago and they played all the great tunes back then and I wondered what all those cars were doing on our hill. I loved to go up that hill in our 3020 John Deere tractor to mow the grass...and I'd always see empty cans of Schlitz and Pabst....and odd as it sounds, I would smell the cans because I was fascinated with the smell of old beer in the can...my folks didn't drink so this was something I just couldn't understand. What is this weird pungent smell?
OK - a little sidetracked...but anyway. Point is, music was the center point of my life even way back then and I hope "ya'll" enjoy my little time capsule from central Illinois. :)

These are the BEST stories...when we connect music to our past. I have so many wonderful memories of my childhood, and up through teen years...and all of them include music. I have similar memories.

I grew up (as many of you might already know) in a very rural community. The farm life you know....folks raised cattle and corn & soybeans for a living. That meant us kids helped with all the farm work...and most certainly didn't paid for it. In fact, I remember in the fall time, I was excused to leave school early (2PM) to go help my dad with harvest....

Anyway, so we had a very, very modest farm house that was situated on a hill with a great view to the west. We lived on a gravel road that was only frequented by the weekend high school kids looking for a place to park their cars and party. It was called "Moore's Hill" Well, that's because we, the Moore's, were the only house on that road. They had a picnic table, couple trash cans and that's it. I used to lay in my upstairs bedroom...which was conveniently facing that Moore's Hill....and I had my little red Realistic AM radio in my window. Bed was shoved up against that window so I could gaze up the hill and listen to all those "older guys" yelling and partying. Every once in a a while, when the wind was in the right direction, I could hear them playing the same songs that I had heard on my radio.....and I just didn't quite understand how that could be. AT the time, I didn't understand what they were doing...didn't matter. I listened to the great WLS AM 89 from Chicago and they played all the great tunes back then and I wondered what all those cars were doing on our hill. I loved to go up that hill in our 3020 John Deere tractor to mow the grass...and I'd always see empty cans of Schlitz and Pabst....and odd as it sounds, I would smell the cans because I was fascinated with the smell of old beer in the can...my folks didn't drink so this was something I just couldn't understand. What is this weird pungent smell?
OK - a little sidetracked...but anyway. Point is, music was the center point of my life even way back then and I hope "ya'll" enjoy my little time capsule from central Illinois. :)

Great story! Bet you got great reception on the hill. I remember with that same radio from Canada's east coast picking up Red Sox and Yankee games at night when the reception was better ;)

Great story! Bet you got great reception on the hill. I remember with that same radio from Canada's east coast picking up Red Sox and Yankee games at night when the reception was better ;)

Yeah, we did get wonderful reception. It was nothing to get (what we called skip) occasional stations from southern Texas...it just depended on the clouds, which way the wind was blowing, etc. Crazy....

Funny how you use what you got. I used to have my little AM radio...and I also had one of those portable cassette player/recorders. So, when my favorite show or DJ would come on the radio, I would situate my cassette player beside the AM radio and record it. I had so many tapes, which I dated and had the DJ's name.....crazy. I'd play these over and over....I'd take them on vacation with the folks and play them in the backseat of the car. Oh, and it was such a big deal because these old cassette players took C batteries. If they ran down, it was a major crisis cause I didn't have enough money to buy new batteries. Oh the drama back then.

Back